Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, let me say this I know you get what you pay for. I'm not sure I want saddle bags and a trunk on my VTX. So my needs will differ from some. I ordered the trunk first (my VTX already had a pair of old worn out saddle bags on it at time of purchase and that will do for now). At under $70 to the door I wasn't expecting much. I will add pics of trunk to this thread soon. The trunk appears to be a look alike knock off of what was on a Harley I previously owned. Installation was super simple even though it didn't come with instructions. The trunk was good enough for me to go ahead and order the matching saddle bags. We are going on our first long ride on two wheels in more than a decade. The trunk (and the frogg toggs) came just in time. Sure for $70 bucks its more flimsy than others of higher quality but it will do for now. If it does hold up, I will get it wrapped to match. If not and we decide we need a better quality trunk, I will do some research and digging around on this forum and shop for something else. I will continue to give a critical but honest review of these products on this thread with pictures to help someone else when they are considering this as an option.

·
Registered
2009 VTX 1300R, Long Island NY
587 Posts
Pictures?

·
Super Moderator
10,081 Posts
And brand, model, and a link?

·
Registered
16,633 Posts
I believe it's critical to keep an eye on your mounting points, the hinges, and latches.

Reactions: 123hotdog

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I believe it's critical to keep an eye on your mounting points, the hinges, and latches.
I agree. I will post some pics of how I mounted it. My woman doesn't call me "overkillbill" for nothing. I went above and beyond because it is a little flimsy. It came with a luggage rack for the top. I chose not to install it at this time. I wanna see how it does before I add that.

·
Too short for my weight
5,471 Posts
I bought that exact trunk a couple years ago. I’ve used it a bunch, and my daughter says its comfortable to ride with. I’ve had it packed full and it does great, never had any leaks. I think you’ll enjoy it for what it is. I painted the stripes on it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
500+ miles round trip this weekend and trunk held up just fine. The woman loves the backrest. She does have to exercise care getting on and off the motorcycle. It is after all not fiberglass.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update on trunk. Went out solo for a spin today and it rattles when the little woman is not on back. Gonna have to put a few rubber bushings in between.

·
Registered
32 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update. Put the cheap saddle bags on the other day and took it for a spin today. The work well for what they are. PITA to mount though. My mechanical skills are a seven outta ten and it took all seven to get them mounted. The fit and function is pretty good but they are small in comparison to the 15 year old leather ones that were on there.
IMG_2096.JPG

1 - 15 of 15 Posts