Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if the chrome covers over the shocks can be removed and how it has been done before. Plus I would like to know what it looks like. I have a rattle in mine around 35mph, that is my motivation to remove them.

·
Registered
16,904 Posts
The stock shocks aren't the greatest. The cans do sometimes develop cracks and vibrate. No easy way to remove short of cutting or grinding them.

·
Registered
16,904 Posts
That's what i figured. I am curious how it looks afterwards
It will look similar to but not as nice as an aftermarket one with the exposed coiled spring.

·
There Can Only Be One
2,691 Posts
It can be done, but you really need to rig up a very secure way to compress the shock so you can remove the upper nut for the eyelet. Many years ago at one of our local tech sessions, there were a few of us that wanted our stock shock springs cut down a few inches. One of the guys was working by himself, and the contraption that was being used to compress the shock slipped and one of his fingers was got sandwiched between the exposed part of the shock cover and the upper ring I believe. He nearly lost his finger that day...it was NOT pretty. You old timers know him as cybrhick from the VTXOA board.

·
Registered
2009 VTX 1300R, Long Island NY
631 Posts
For the amount of work to cut the factory shock, you can pick up a Progressive 412 for $299.95. I added their poly bushings (you would have to install them) since I heard the stock rubber bushings are crap. You will have new shocks that are way better than stock.

Reactions: PaXman11

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the link. Are the Burly shocks or the MB shocks from Wild Bikers worth looking at?

·
Reeling Jackwagon
2003 1300S
9,180 Posts
Reactions: PaXman11

·
Registered
16,904 Posts
Thanks for the link. Are the Burly shocks or the MB shocks from Wild Bikers worth looking at?
I've had MB 12.25" from the Chief @ Wild Biker for a few years now. I'm happy, with what I paid for them. If I was inclined, I'd go Progressive with the top of the line 444's or whatever they might have now.

Reactions: MR VTX

·
Mean ol' Mo' Fo'
388 Posts
Leave the cans alone. HOnda designed the scooter very well.

I reckomember cyberhick,....Hope he's well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have the 412's but if I'm not mistake I think these people used to do work on them: ************* and I thought Ponyz used to do the cover removal but its been a while so I don't really remember.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts