Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dropped the throttle on my 1800F the other day and hit 105 mph in seconds...impressive! Was the first time Ive done it since buying the bike new a few months back...so Im at a traffice light a few minutes later and a kind gentleman in cage tells me my rear tire is very low, I thank him and think he might be mistaken cause the f model has low profile tires that APPEAR to me low most of the time, also I checked my air pressure two wks earlier...but would ck it anyway...

I get home two minutes later and take a look at the tires...the front felt fine, the rear tire looked/felt slightly low..a lb or two down at most I thought...I put an air pressure gauge on it , front was 38 lbs..fine...rear I had to ck four times...I was in dissbelief, EIGHT lbs of air in my rear tire....whooaaa, was doing a 100+ on the highway ten minutes earlier....jesus! after a little examination found a nail stuck dead center...learned two things from this, from now on Im cking the air pressure before EVERY ride ... and the 1800f can do 100+ mph with 8 lbs air pressure in the rear tire :D I feel very fortunate for sure, hope this helps someone else....

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Sometimes luck is better than skill. Thank God that rear tire didn't shred and come off the rear wheel at 100mph. Glad no harm came to you.
Bry

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Glad you came out of that without incident.
My bike is kept in a trailer, inside my garage (saves space). I keep a pressure guage right at the enterance of the trailer so it's a quick pic up and I check every single time before heading out. Many years ago, I had a similar incident where I had minimal air in my rear. At highway speeds only a mile after leaving the house, I developed a wicked rear end wobble but I kept it up. Could not get my heart back into my chest for hours thus why I now check every single time.

·
Equito Passim
9,148 Posts
It only takes once to make checking air pressure "more important".

Just thank your maker it wasn't a more Serious.. "once"

I check my tire pressure regularly. Just remember, its supposed to be "Cold PSI" not "Hot PSI" so check it before you take off and get those tires good and hot.

-Gonz

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Glad you didn't blow the tire! I went through a few inner tubes on my 1300 the first year I had it. I pulled in to work one day and as I turned the corner, the bike felt harder than normal to turn. Parked and notice rear was low. After inspection, I saw I had picked up a nail somewhere and it went flat the last hundred yards from the entrance to the parking area.

·
Registered
96 Posts
A few months back on my old Suzuki m50 I blew a rear tire during a left turn. I didn't drop the bike though but I did pull a hamstring fighting to keep the bike up. Talk about a scary ride.....

·
Registered
31 Posts
wow

i am glad that worked out ok you could have really got hurt.something to think about before hitting the saddle,check air:mosh:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks brothers, you guys are awesome! Ive had dangerous jobs my whole life and was thrilled to make it to retirement in one piece...well mostly :D ......It woulda really sucked gettin taken out by a nail...Im def thankin the man upstairs...

Ill be cking my tire pressure EVERY time I ride from now on...and I thought my bud was being a weenie cking his air pressure every wk...he was the smart one! :choppersm

·
Premium Member
10,101 Posts
Maybe a blessing in disguise, glad that you didn't get into a serious problem. Wishing you well.

·
Registered
96 Posts
At the beginning of spring this year my tire looked low, so without having a pressure gauge with me I put a few pounds in it. Bike still felt squirrely in turns. I rode about 150 with the lady on the back and finally checked the pressure....... I was running 80 POUNDS in the rear tire!!! Glad you are ok.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts