Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad: Today while riding on a short trip - the clutch cable broke completely free at the clutch lever. The black cable just jumped up into my view behind the windshield. Fortunately I was able to negotiate several red lights without a clutch and got the VTX 1300S to a Honda dealer in Rockwall, TX. They didn't have a clutch cable in stock, so I had to leave the bike with them while they order one (4-5 business days.) The people there were really extra nice and gave me a ride home (about 15 miles away.) They indicated that they had this happen with "several" 2007-2008 VTX 1300's. Have any of you out there had this problem or heard of such a problem?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Surprising that they would not carry a cable in stock, especially if they had seen a few recent failures! Even then, I would hope they could get one faster than 5 busoiness days. That's pretty lame.

CW

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
clutch cable not in stock

Surprising that they would not carry a cable in stock, especially if they had seen a few recent failures! Even then, I would hope they could get one faster than 5 busoiness days. That's pretty lame.

CW
:hmm2:I'm hoping that they just told me 5 days and will have it in 2-3. Most of the Honda motorcycle dealers around here seem to never have a good supply of parts. Almost always have had to order anything I've needed. At least that's been my experience over the last couple of years.

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
Think I'll get one just in case also.
You have to watch where the cable sheath ends down by the bracket, if that bracket is tweeked the cable can bind and wear. You can just take an adjustable wrench and bend the bracket a little to align it.

·
Registered
255 Posts
My local dealer gets anything ordered the next day. I have ordered things 15 minutes before they were going to close and had it the next day. I also agree with others this should be a stock item at the dealer.

·
Reeling Jackwagon
9,032 Posts
You have to watch where the cable sheath ends down by the bracket, if that bracket is tweeked the cable can bind and wear. You can just take an adjustable wrench and bend the bracket a little to align it.
If you are careful how you tighten the adjusting nuts, you can get a lot of that misalignment out without doing any bending.

·
Equito Passim
9,148 Posts
My local dealer gets anything ordered the next day. I have ordered things 15 minutes before they were going to close and had it the next day. I also agree with others this should be a stock item at the dealer.
Mine is Tuesdays and Fridays. Closed Sun/Mon.

But yeah, suprising they didnt have a cable.

In all honesty, its not a bad thing to have stashed in your tool kit on the bike.. I mean, really. $35 for all three cables (Clutch $10, Both Throttles $12 ea) is just too cheap NOT to have spare.

Ordering mine tomorrow.. I really didnt know they were that cheap.

-Gonz

·
AIRBORNE
5,567 Posts
Never had that problem. 6,000 miles wow too fast. When I let the dealer do work on my bike it always came back with the clutch cable adjusted. I know what I like and it aint the dealer!:mosh:

·
USAF Ret Security Police
520 Posts
Gonzo, where are you getting all three for that price. With all the trips I am making this year think I might be safe and order them also.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Yeah, a set of spare cables sounds like a good idea. Especially if you have a trunk :D

30 years ago a buddy of mine was stopped at a red light. He was in first gear, clutch in, both feet down, revving the p*ss out of the engine. Cable snapped. Bike jumped out from under him and landed on it's back while he stood there watching it.

:banghead:

Oops.........

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ouch!

Yeah, a set of spare cables sounds like a good idea. Especially if you have a trunk :D

30 years ago a buddy of mine was stopped at a red light. He was in first gear, clutch in, both feet down, revving the p*ss out of the engine. Cable snapped. Bike jumped out from under him and landed on it's back while he stood there watching it.

:banghead:

Oops.........
:eek:I'm glad I didn't get to experience that!

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
hey gonzo,
that is very cheap for a set of cables!
i guess, they are just the inner cables, you are talking about.

i got a set of complete cables from a junked 5k mile vtx from a shop in canada and paid $50 for a set (2 throttle, 1 clutch)

can you post a link to that please?
thanks
ride safe
harry

1 - 20 of 43 Posts