Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Need a little advice, pls.
'04 VTX1300C - replaced the clutch cable. Noticed that the nut on the bottom of the clutch lever assembly was loose. Also saw that the bolt thru the assy turns when the lever is pulled and released. Tried to get the bolt out, but no luck, and didn't want to force anything.
Looked at bike bandit, exploded view, and do not see any special internal parts, but another posting here talked about a brass sleeve.
I assume that the bolt and nut tighten against the assy, and the lever is supposed to rotate around the bolt.
Can I just push the bolt up out of the hole, or are there really internal parts that I might have to replace after getting the bolt out?
Would applying a lubricant resolve the issue or could there be some type of damage that is causing the lever to bind with the bolt (i.e. the brass sleeve has been damaged)?
tia,
ron
ride safe!

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
The bolt is more like a shaft that goes thru the lever. Once the nut is off the bolt should push up and come out. Yes the nut and bolt tighten against the assembly and the bolt shouldn't turn. The bolt or nut may be cross thearded and are not able to tighten. Is there a danger, not as long as the nut stays on and bolt doesn't work it's way out. You can use a tap and a thread chaser and clean them up if they are cross threaded or order new ones. I hope this helps you.

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
I lost my nut and had to replace it with a nylon lock nut. The bolt can be just pushed up from the bottom the threads are metric. It's just a picot bolt for the lever.

Donut:patriot:Doug

·
There Can Only Be One
2,730 Posts
You can use a flat-blade screwdriver to help break loose the bolt...mine was sort of stuck in place until I used the screwdriver. Also, the brass sleeve is built in to the lever and as far as I know is not removable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts