Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:banghead:

I got Glen's clutch relief kit the other day and was eagerly excited about installing it.

The instructions are fairly clear and detailed, I got the kit with the rivet remover.

I got to work, took off the plastic cover, put the rivet remover on, and it was extremely difficult to turn it, but I kept going. As it turned out, the removal tool was on an angle, and it had bit the wrong way into the rivet.

To make a very long story short, I ended up completely mangling the part where the clutch meets the cable, and had to break it off. The riveting tool broke on me. Hacksaw on the top did not work. Realized I had to drill it out. Broke one pilot bit, finally used a Dremel bit which was able to make a pilot hole and eventually drill the rivet out, after much frustration where everything I tried did not work. Because I had to bend the clutch/cable piece that the rivet holds on, had to order one from Glen who fortunately has them.

Glen has been great through all this at all hours of the day, great support, and very grateful for his help.

Lesson learnt-please be careful, take your time, make sure that everything is perfectly lined up before you have a go at it. And use an adjustable crescent wrench, not a vise grip, very important.
Make SURE that the swivel on the end is on your RIGHT side, not your left, before putting on the rivet remover tool.

If I can make one suggestion, it would be that the rivet removal tool should be made out of much harder metal. It is made out of soft metal and did break. If the material was harder I think it would have not broken and still have gone through the rivet. I used to have a nut breaking tool which is similar in function, and that was made of very strong metal.

Auto part Fuel line Pipe Metal Tire

·
Registered
161 Posts
I did the same thing when I installed mine about a year ago, but just bent the part you are talking about. Can't remember what it is called. Clutch works great, but since the part is bent, I wanted to replace it. I recently ordered a savage part off ebay for about $7 and plan to replace it one of these days when I get time. I understand that Glen has these parts in stock too.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, we are in Glen's coveted seven who have broken the rivet tool? :D Mine by the way totally broke completely, and I think that piece is needed to do the rest, isn't it?

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Did almost the exact same thing...
Was excited and happy when Glen said he had some ready to ship..
Works great!!! Like all of Glens Mods that I have...
Gas Cap Hinge was like giving Chocolate to a starving man. Love it!!!

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
When I did my 1300R I was lucky to hit the rivet in the center. When I was helping a friend with his, I did as you all did. I ended up grinding it down with a dremel. Be sure you adjust the clutch cable to the center of the cable housing. Mine was rubbing and broke the cable.

·
Registered
1 Posts
nd had to break it off. The ri
:banghead:

I got Glen's clutch relief kit the other day and was eagerly excited about installing it.

The instructions are fairly clear and detailed, I got the kit with the rivet remover.

I got to work, took off the plastic cover, put the rivet remover on, and it was extremely difficult to turn it, but I kept going. As it turned out, the removal tool was on an angle, and it had bit the wrong way into the rivet.

To make a very long story short, I ended up completely mangling the part where the clutch meets the cable, and had to break it off. The riveting tool broke on me. Hacksaw on the top did not work. Realized I had to drill it out. Broke one pilot bit, finally used a Dremel bit which was able to make a pilot hole and eventually drill the rivet out, after much frustration where everything I tried did not work. Because I had to bend the clutch/cable piece that the rivet holds on, had to order one from Glen who fortunately has them.

Glen has been great through all this at all hours of the day, great support, and very grateful for his help.

Lesson learnt-please be careful, take your time, make sure that everything is perfectly lined up before you have a go at it. And use an adjustable crescent wrench, not a vise grip, very important.
Make SURE that the swivel on the end is on your RIGHT side, not your left, before putting on the rivet remover tool.

If I can make one suggestion, it would be that the rivet removal tool should be made out of much harder metal. It is made out of soft metal and did break. If the material was harder I think it would have not broken and still have gone through the rivet. I used to have a nut breaking tool which is similar in function, and that was made of very strong metal.

View attachment 123010
I was just working on my kit this afternoon and my rivet removal tool did the same thing and it broke on one side. I just tried reaching out to Glen, but if he has the swivel piece that the cable attaches to on the clutch lever, I feel a lot better knowing that and I'll buy the part from him because I can't see a clean way of removing it at this point. The youtube videos make it look so easy....

·
Super Moderator
5,664 Posts
Actually, it is simple!!! The trick is if it doesn't want to go DON'T get a bigger hammer!!! That rivet is relatively soft whereas that arm is hardened steel so if it doesn't want to go, loosen the tool and reposition it on the rivet! Yes, it does take some force to bust the rivet and the tool is plenty strong enough to do it, IF the tool is centered. I have over the years installed half a dozen clutch pull reliefs on my bikes and several friends bikes and yes I started to get one into a bind but I stopped and realized it was cocked, realigned the tool and finished the install with no problems. When you start to press the rivet out after tightening the tool a partial turn on the rivet you should be able to rotate the tool back and forth without much effort and without the arm moving, but if you can't move the tool you are probably trying to cut into the arm so readjust the tool.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts