Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
VTX 1800f 2007
As i was starting a ride yesterday I noticed my clutch was way more sensitive that usual. Slightly letting it out would engage the gears fully.While I Was on the road it became difficult to shift and when i would downshift i could feel the bike drag while holding down the clutch. When was stopped while holding the clutch the bike still wanted to move and idled very low. The clutch right now is very mushy and the does not seem to engage the gears.
What thinks ya?

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
VTX 1800f 2007
As i was starting a ride yesterday I noticed my clutch was way more sensitive that usual. Slightly letting it out would engage the gears fully.While I Was on the road it became difficult to shift and when i would downshift i could feel the bike drag while holding down the clutch. When was stopped while holding the clutch the bike still wanted to move and idled very low. The clutch right now is very mushy and the does not seem to engage the gears.
What thinks ya?
1. Change the fluid

2. Clean the clutch shift linkage

Both on 'how to' are on the board...

Good luck

Bull

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am newish to the forum here. I am having trouble finding the how to mentioned. May i trouble you for a link?
thank you

·
Banned
3,906 Posts
Go to Forums, then 1800 forums, then 1800 service manual; http://hondatech.info/downloads/Moto/VTX/VTX1800/
Changing fluid is easy, just take a shop towel (blue paper towel) and dip it in the reservoir. It will absorb about 1/2 the fluid. Do this until you get all of the fluid. For cables, I have found for me, the easiest way to lube a cable is to remove the cable from the hand lever, hold vertical, wrap with a large rag (to keep lube from running down the outside of the cable and making everything slick and nasty), lightly spray lube down the end of the cable. It should take a while, work it into the cable sleeve while working the cable/sleeve up and down.
NOTE: Break fluid is really nasty stuff. It will take your paint off quick. Protect everything (especially your gas tank).
When I did mine last, I actually cleaned the inside of my reservoir with brake cleaner as well.
BE CAREFUL, inside your reservoir there is a metal clip. This little clip is to keep the pressure from squirting fluid out of the top of the reservoir while bleeding the clutch/break (one on each side, same thing). Your fluid should be clear and without a foggy appearance.
If that clip gets stuck to a shop towel it will come out with it, just be cautions, it goes right back in. If it does come out, there is one on the other side you can check out to see how it installs. It is just a push in style (legs go up) and the round part covers the spray area.
Welcome to the Cafe from Washington

·
Banned
3,906 Posts
1. Change the fluid

2. Clean the clutch shift linkage

Both on 'how to' are on the board...

Good luck

Bull
I went to the sticky's in the Forums and did not see how to. Also typed how to in the search engine and got "The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search:
how, to".
I could use help finding it too. lol I am still new to the site and getting use to locating things as well. Thank you

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I went to the sticky's in the Forums and did not see how to. Also typed how to in the search engine and got "The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search:
how, to".
I could use help finding it too. lol I am still new to the site and getting use to locating things as well. Thank you
Having done multiple clutch and brake fluid changes...I would not subscribe to your technique in post #5. Bare has a good write up...all I did was type "clutch fluid" in search...and got multiple links...for starters:

http://www.vtxcafe.com/showthread.php/81058-1800-shifting-problem?highlight=clutch+fluid

But...then again...here is another one:

http://www.northstarriders.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1402

As for shifting linkage...I suspect that can be found to...by...

Good luck

Bull

·
Banned
3,906 Posts
That's great. I like the write up. Since he is having issues, a full bleed would be in order. I didn't go that far but, at some point I may. Thank you for the heads up.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
That's great. I like the write up. Since he is having issues, a full bleed would be in order. I didn't go that far but, at some point I may. Thank you for the heads up.
No worries...glad it may work for you. It is a fairly easy job...as long as, as you state, one doesn't spill on the paint.

Bull

1 - 9 of 9 Posts