Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 2005 VTX1300R from a buddy because he needed garage space so it’s been sitting awhile. He maintained it and pulled it out every now and then to make sure it ran and would go into gear. About six months ago he tried and now the clutch will not engage, wondering if there is a quick fix or if I’ll need to replace it. Thanks for any input.

·
Whatever...
706 Posts
Is the cable intact?
Is the cable connected to the clutch arm?
Does the clutch arm move when the clutch handle is squeezed?

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
without the bike being ridden... its has to be a catastrophic failure in the clutch basket.

as the clutch is LOCKED until the lever is pulled .. and forcing the springs to compress and unlock the clutch pack.

·
Whatever...
706 Posts
I believe that the clutch arm is connected to the mechanism that pushes the clutch plates apart inside the case. Bottom line is that you will need to remove the cover, and open the case.

·
team VTX cafe physician
14,396 Posts
simple fix......had the same issue.....one of the members here came to my rescue......go to the handle and tighten the cable......it is usually a very simple thing......you may have too much length in the cable......I took mine apart and didn't put it together correctly......was an easy fix.

·
Mosin Prime
2005 1300R Lots of lights! 2 air horns P3 tail light w/Photon blasters Diode Dynamics and Daymaker
750 Posts
I have noticed my clutch cable doing the same before and gave an adjustment. It wasn't to the point where it wouldn't activate the clutch but a slight adjustment gave more handle movement and it's been fine since then.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts