Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a 2003 1800C after 11+ years of bike-less-ness.
It has a Hypercharger Pro and Roadhouse 3" exhaust.

I've just now started digging into some of the settings after calling Cobra.
The tech recommended starting at 4.5, 3.5, 1
After riding awhile, I put it at 4.5, 4, 1.5

Like I said, it's been a while since I've had a bike and it was alot smaller.
What are the signs that it's turned up too much?
What should be the setting's goal?

·
Registered
743 Posts
Set the first pot like the pilot screws on a carb. Turn it up to the highest RPMs and then back it off a little. Reset the idle RPM and re-adjust the pot to the highest RPM at 8-900 RPM at idle, engine hot. Set the 2nd pot until it gets rid of the hesitation between the 1st and 2nd fuel circuit change. This requires riding it and making adjustments. Set the 3rd pot at 0 or 1, at the most. Mine's at 3.5-3.0-0.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Set the first pot like the pilot screws on a carb. Turn it up to the highest RPMs and then back it off a little. Reset the idle RPM and re-adjust the pot to the highest RPM at 8-900 RPM at idle, engine hot. Set the 2nd pot until it gets rid of the hesitation between the 1st and 2nd fuel circuit change. This requires riding it and making adjustments. Set the 3rd pot at 0 or 1, at the most. Mine's at 3.5-3.0-0.
Thanks for the response.:)

Lost me a little there.:confused:
What am I turning to the highest RPM? The first pot?
How do I reset the idle RPM?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Lost me a bit, too. There are install/tuning instructions on the cobrausa.com website. However, the forum feedback on other posts may help more than the instructions. I have a Fi2000 tuner on my bike w/ Cobra slash cuts and a hypercharger, but I haven't looked at the settings since I got the bike. 4.5/3/0 are the default settings per the manual. Hope this helps. I'd like to test the on-board computer vs. the computer plus EFI control module.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Set all the pots on the FI2K to 0. With the engine at operating temp, turn the black knob, between the cylinders on the left side of the bike, to set the idle RPMs to 8-900 RPM. Turn the 1st pot on the FI2K up until the engine is running at it's highest idle RPMs. The idle speed will increase as you turn the pot up. Turn the black knob counterclockwise to lower the idle RPMs to 8-900 RPM. Re-adjust the 1st pot to the highest RPMs again. You may be turning it up or down, whatever it takes to get the highest RPMs. Re-set the idle with the black knob to 8-900 RPMs. Re-adjust the 1st pot to the highest RPMs, then back it off 1/2 number. A tach will be very helpful.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts