Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a Baron Air Box system and I have also done the mod on my stock pipes where I removed the last baffles with a hole saw. I went to my Honda dealer and asked them to set me up with a jet kit for when I take my bike to the Dyno shop. I figured they could install the jet kit and dyno to test for max performance.

Well, the dealer got me a Cobra Kit 92-1279 and I paid my dollars and took it home. As I looked over the package it says, "To be used with stock air cleaner and stock exhaust." WTF? :banghead: I told the parts guy what I was doing and I think he ordered the wrong kit. What say youz guys?

·
Dragon Slayer
8,515 Posts
You don't necessarily need a jet kit, the Scar mod would probably be enough, in some cases, when the airbox is opened drastically, then a jet kit would be appropriate. I'm sure someone will chime in as to an aftermarket kit that works the best. Take the junk kit back to the dealer & get a refund.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
With the Barons BAK you will want a 210 main at least, maybe 215..... although you are running stock pipes so..... not exactly sure how that will affect your tuning.

BUT stay away from jet kits except the Factory Pro kit, please, please please!

http://www.factorypro.com/prod_pages/prodh80.html

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
With the Barons BAK you will want a 210 main at least, maybe 215..... although you are running stock pipes so..... not exactly sure how that will affect your tuning.

BUT stay away from jet kits except the Factory Pro kit, please, please please!

http://www.factorypro.com/prod_pages/prodh80.html
+1 on the Factory Pro stage 3 kit, it's the only way to go on a VTX.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Surfcity, listen to these guys. They have helped more vtx riders than you can imagine. I also say, return the cobra kit and even if you cant return it, sell it, throw it away, make earings out of it, but DO NOT use it in your bike. Go to Factory Pro's link, use their carb tuning instructions and get their stage 3 kit.
Bry :choppersm

·
Equito Passim
9,148 Posts
Out of the over 20 carbs Ive worked on for people here, I think around 7 of them were Removing the Dyno-Jet Kit and Installing a Factory Pro Stage 3 Kit becuase the DJ Kits are inconsistent and very hard to fine tune.

Do Yourself a favor. Take it back and drop $65 on a Factory Pro Stage 3 Kit.

You Will Not regret it.

If you need help installing it, I can help you over the phone.

-Gonz

·
Registered
958 Posts
Or, if you're feeling generous this time of season, take that CJ kit down to the river, give it a mighty toss and you will save some other poor soul from buying that kit if you were to return it.

Wren

·
Registered
875 Posts
So factory pro is the way to go? I havent ever even heard of it... Is it hard to install? I do almost all the work on my bike but carbs are something i never screw with..

Anyone try out the quickshifter on factory pros page?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
So factory pro is the way to go? I havent ever even heard of it... Is it hard to install? I do almost all the work on my bike but carbs are something i never screw with..

Anyone try out the quickshifter on factory pros page?
The jet kit is very easy, and we can help along the way... Factory pro is the only way to go.

I havent heard of anyone using the shift kit thing...

·
Registered
875 Posts
Well i Will order it here soon and then post a thread in help, i will gladly tear apart an engine, transmission, drive train, whatever... And ill just figure it out as i go, but carbs are finicky... So ill definitely be needing help...

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Well i Will order it here soon and then post a thread in help, i will gladly tear apart an engine, transmission, drive train, whatever... And ill just figure it out as i go, but carbs are finicky... So ill definitely be needing help...
If you can use a screwdriver and wrenches you can jet the carb, it really is very easy
+1, if your at home with engines & a trans you'll have no problems within a VTX carb, there's very few parts in it so it's not bad at all
(and there's about a million threads on it plus live help when needed right here :D)

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
I thought I already posted this to this already...:hmm2:

The Baron's Big Air Kit has the correct jets included with the install kit...

Now take that P.O.S. jet kit you got from the dealer back to them and never talk to them again...They obviously don't know chit about a VTX...

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I thought I already posted this to this already...:hmm2:

The Baron's Big Air Kit has the correct jets included with the install kit...

Now take that P.O.S. jet kit you got from the dealer back to them and never talk to them again...They obviously don't know chit about a VTX...
weird i never used me Barons Jet kit, but it did look alot like the FP kit.... I actually sold that jet kit on here. so someone got a god deal!

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks again guys.:D I took the Cobra kit back to the Honda dealer and after a little balking, they gave me a credit. As soon as I got back home, I called and ordered the Factory Pro Stage 3 Kit (With the long adjuster screw). I should have it by Wednesday.

From now on....before buying anything.....I'll be checking with the big dogs FIRST.

OH, one last thing. I never opened the Cobra kit but when I returned it, the service manager opened the plastic box and found that one of the parts was damaged. He asked me if I dropped the part. I told him I never even opened the box. It was true, and thank God he believed me. That would have really sucked if they didn't take it back.

Thanks again guys....Red:beer:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Interesting that your dealer recommended the Cobra kit. My dealership highly recommended the Factory Pro Jet Kit. I didn't let them do the work though as they wanted $187 for the jet kit install (labor only). I recently installed the Factory Pro Stage 3 Kit. For those of you thinking of spending money to have a shop do the install, don't waste your money. I was very hesitant about doing a jet kit install, but it is a breeze.

Just refer to the linked You Tube Video. I did the jet kit install, the Hypercharger install and installed my Bub Jug Huggers. The jet kit install was the easiest part of the whole thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hc6fZtor06M

If you have a laptop, take it into your garage when you do the install. You can watch the You Tube video and pause it every time he performs an action. Then come back, start it back up again, wait for the next action and pause. Keep doing that and you will be golden in about 15 minutes (only the jet kit).

Thanks again guys.:D I took the Cobra kit back to the Honda dealer and after a little balking, they gave me a credit. As soon as I got back home, I called and ordered the Factory Pro Stage 3 Kit (With the long adjuster screw). I should have it by Wednesday.

From now on....before buying anything.....I'll be checking with the big dogs FIRST.

OH, one last thing. I never opened the Cobra kit but when I returned it, the service manager opened the plastic box and found that one of the parts was damaged. He asked me if I dropped the part. I told him I never even opened the box. It was true, and thank God he believed me. That would have really sucked if they didn't take it back.

Thanks again guys....Red:beer:
Good call on ordering the Factory Pro Kit with the long boy A/F adjuster screw. Bit of advice. When you install the long boy and have it all the way in, take a bit of fingernail polish and put a dot on the inside portion (and possibly outside) of the knurled knob.

That way, you have a good reference point for the number of turns when adjusting the A/F screw. By the way, you may need a magnifying glass to see the markings on the main jets that they supply.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts