Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone need a little bit of help. My friend and I are pretty new at working on bikes and I bought a VTX 1300 just to work on and mess with ect. I installed a Cobra Powerflo and went pretty well. I was able to start the bike with no issues but the idle was off so I started to tinker with the idle adjuster. Now the bike won't start and decent gas smell. Pretty sure it is a carb issue I just don't know the next step in trouble shooting this. Thanks in advance for any help. -Vince

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. That's what my friend and I were thinking. Not sure on the exhaust but I think they are Bub Jugg huggers. Only thing I could find under Bub for the 1300. I didn't put them they were on the bike when I bought it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! I ordered it off of Amazon. Should be here sometime after xmas. I'll let you know how it goes. One more question. I was trying to pull the boot off of the spark plug so I can inspect the plugs and I pulled out the cable that runs into the boot. Is this cable now broken and needs to be replaced?

Have a good XMas!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
okay so I messed up. replacing the jets were easy but in the middle of it I lost the pin that goes for spring thing for the bowl of the carb. are those pins easily replaced at an auto store? did some googling and haven't been able to find those pins for sale. next issue is the top of the carb were you replace that needle in the vacuum chamber. I cant turn the yellow thing if I put it on the forth clip from blunt end. any tips? thanks in advance

·
Miles: 50,000+
7,104 Posts
The yellow plastic retainer has a small "tit" where the small needle spring is. Clip that tit in about 1/3 to allow room for the FP needle.

I believe the pin you are talking about is the accelerator pump retainer pin. I have had mine removed for over a year, about 15k miles. There are others who have not reinstalled it either. If needed, you can use a small piece of wire instead of the small cotter pin.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
M-2 thanks for all your help. Figured out that fp needle issue. Got everything put back together to realize my battery died. Charged it back up and fired it up. Everything works and it's running. Only thing is idles rpm is high. I was tweaking the a/f screw but doesn't seem to change much.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Check amazon for the factory pro stage 3 jet kit.

I would think the following would be a good starting point:

58 slow
215 or 220 main
Needle on 4th clip from the blunt end.
A/F at about 2 turns out from lightly seated.
That exactly what I did (215) and mine is running great now !

1 - 14 of 14 Posts