Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried the Cobra quiet core baffles?

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/13/118/17363/ITEM/Cobra-Quiet-Core-Baffles.aspx

I have some Cobra speedster longs, which I'm really happy with. I started with the Clayton mod, then installed the Cobras and then after awhile, I wanted to quiet them down a bit and installed Smartpartz quiet baffles. I liked the new sound from the extra baffle from Smartpartz but within 6 months, one of those baffles started to break apart from the vibration. I took it apart to fix the broken piece, but now I think the other Smartpartz baffle is starting to break apart. :nope:

I'm thinking of getting the Cobra quiet core baffles next but I can't find too many user reviews.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Hope some one gets back to you on this, I been looking at those my self. Have the same pipes as you.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: windaddy

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I got the Quiet-Core baffle in my Cobra Speedster Slashdowns and love them!!! The take some of the edge off but the bike still sounds plenty loud for me and actually has better mid-range performance. Cruising on the Freeway at 70-80MPH is much more enjoyable now, with the stock Cobra baffles in I would get a headache after anything more then 15mins.

there are two reviews on the Motorcycle-Superstore, I agree with them both:patriot:

Fit 5.0
Quality 5.0
Installation 5.0
Recommend 5.0
Overall 5.0

allan west hills, CA
What a difference. While the stock baffles are deep throaty, they have a piercing high note to them when you turn on the throttle and after a short while it becomes uncomfortable and annoying, especially in the canyons. The quiet baffles are great. They keep most of the deep throaty sound but takes away the high pitched, echo sound and gives off more of a soothing rumble at idle and when you gas it.

Fit 5.0
Quality 5.0
Installation 4.0
Recommend 5.0
Overall 4.8

Craig Johnstown, CO
Seems quieter It's not a night and day difference in overall volume, but it does seem quieter. The big difference is that it changed the pitch a bit from the higher cobra standard to a few notes deeper. The pitch changed helped a LOT. I ride with a FF helmet and the sound would get inside that helmet and rattle around making me crazy. Now it is not nearly as annoying.

·
aka The Rev
1,854 Posts
Baffles? Who needs baffles? I have the Cobra Slash-cut slip-ons with no baffles. It is loud but then again Loud Pipes Saves Lives.

·
~ High-Finesse Hooligan ~
11,589 Posts
Has anyone tried the Cobra quiet core baffles?
logansrun,

Yes, I purchased the Cobra Quiet Core (9015Q) baffles for my Cobra Speedster Slashdowns and installed them along with the pipes (i.e., I took the stock cores out and put the QC's in before I put the pipes on the bike). I absolutely love the sound - nice, deep rumble - not obtrusively loud, but definitely loud enough for my tastes (much louder than the stock Honda pipes) - and I can sneak outta the neighborhood at 6am without pissing off the neighbors - in fact, they have commented on the deep rumble being not too excessive and one guy actually thanked me for 'being mature about it'. And the sound is great on decel, too. When you get on the throttle, they really rip and get you noticed, and at highway speeds they smooth right out for a comfortable ride. I found some reviews before I bought them, and people often said that the QC's actually make the exhaust note deeper along with quieter. So, I have never heard my bike with the Speedster stock cores which I kept - toyed with the idea of putting them in 'just to see' - very easy to swap, even on the bike - but haven't done it yet. Hope this helps. :D

Best price I have seen is at Direct Line Parts for $30.99 each and free shipping: http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=8912&str=13

Mark :patriot:

·
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I installed my Cobra quiet core baffles today. I will be taking a ride this evening and will offer some thoughts soon to compare them against the Smartpartz quiet baffles add-on that I was using...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Definitely let me know how it goes. I just got a set of slashdowns for a new 1300R and I am thinking about getting these quiet baffles too.

I installed my Cobra quiet core baffles today. I will be taking a ride this evening and will offer some thoughts soon to compare them against the Smartpartz quiet baffles add-on that I was using...

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have Speedster Shorts on my '06 1300C and I bit the bullet and ordered the Quite Baffles. To me it really has made a lot of difference. On a short ride around town there is no need for ear plugs. Idle is quite too. I can hear all the noises in the engine now. But still sounds great on acceleration. If you are looking to tone them down, you will be pleased. :patriot:

·
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My first impressions are not what I expected. I spent an hour today with the camcorder, recording about 15 seconds or so of time in the following scenarios: 1) Cobra Speedster Longs (normal); 2) the Speedsters with the Smartpartz quiet baffle installed; 3) the Speedsters without any baffle whatsoever; 4) the Speedsters with the Cobra quiet core baffle (which I just bought). I hope to edit and post to youtube this weekend.

I had a chance to ride about an hour tonight. Part of that time was with no ear plugs and part was with my usual mp3 player on low volume.

Conclusion: the Cobra quiet core baffles are tad quieter than the Smartpartz quiet baffles add-on, and it feels like there's a little more back pressure now, and the occasional decel "pop/bang" I had is gone. There's still a good amount of volume from the exhaust too. But dang it, I think it sounds the worst of the bunch from my tests above. It reminds me of the Clayton mod. There's that "plat plat plat" tone to it instead of the deeper rumble. :hmm2:

But I suspect different Cobra exhausts show different results with the quiet core baffles. For the 'Longs' that I have, the quiet core baffle is 24" long while the other quiet cores are shorter, so while others have said they are really pleased with the end result, I'm disappointed so far. The tone and sound I had with the Smartpartz quiet baffle add-on was better. But I'm going to experiment this weekend with some fiberglass exhaust wrap (which I couldn't do with the Smartpartz baffle). I read about someone else who used some fiberglass wrap with their quiet core baffle and they liked the end result.

So that's the early conclusions so far.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes, I plan on wrapping mine with packing when they arrive as well. That's how the Vance & Hines quiet baffles in my VTX1800F came. I am sure it will make it sound much better.

My first impressions are not what I expected. I spent an hour today with the camcorder, recording about 15 seconds or so of time in the following scenarios: 1) Cobra Speedster Longs (normal); 2) the Speedsters with the Smartpartz quiet baffle installed; 3) the Speedsters without any baffle whatsoever; 4) the Speedsters with the Cobra quiet core baffle (which I just bought). I hope to edit and post to youtube this weekend.

I had a chance to ride about an hour tonight. Part of that time was with no ear plugs and part was with my usual mp3 player on low volume.

Conclusion: the Cobra quiet core baffles are tad quieter than the Smartpartz quiet baffles add-on, and it feels like there's a little more back pressure now, and the occasional decel "pop/bang" I had is gone. There's still a good amount of volume from the exhaust too. But dang it, I think it sounds the worst of the bunch from my tests above. It reminds me of the Clayton mod. There's that "plat plat plat" tone to it instead of the deeper rumble. :hmm2:

But I suspect different Cobra exhausts show different results with the quiet core baffles. For the 'Longs' that I have, the quiet core baffle is 24" long while the other quiet cores are shorter, so while others have said they are really pleased with the end result, I'm disappointed so far. The tone and sound I had with the Smartpartz quiet baffle add-on was better. But I'm going to experiment this weekend with some fiberglass exhaust wrap (which I couldn't do with the Smartpartz baffle). I read about someone else who used some fiberglass wrap with their quiet core baffle and they liked the end result.

So that's the early conclusions so far.

·
11,589 Posts
...But I suspect different Cobra exhausts show different results with the quiet core baffles. For the 'Longs' that I have, the quiet core baffle is 24" long while the other quiet cores are shorter, so while others have said they are really pleased with the end result, I'm disappointed so far...But I'm going to experiment this weekend with some fiberglass exhaust wrap (which I couldn't do with the Smartpartz baffle). I read about someone else who used some fiberglass wrap with their quiet core baffle and they liked the end result...
I have the Slashdowns which are shorter and require the shorter baffle (~15") and the note is nicely deep (there is no plat, plat, plat sound). I have extensively researched (but not yet experimented with) the acoustic effects of fiberglass wrap - to get my tone even lower - and from what I've read, it indeed attenuates the higher frequencies (to a much higher degree than the low frequencies) which must result in a 'deeper rumble' sound. I have learned that the type (cut vs. continuous fiber) and amount of glass makes a difference in sound, so experimentation is needed. The wrap must go between the baffle o.d. and the pipe i.d. and nowhere else - there IS room there because the baffle 'necks down' in the middle. How to hold it there while you slide the baffle in is the trick - I can envision a fine wire, like one strand of picture-hanging wire, wrapped and twisted at each end. I've read that Owens-Corning Advantex glass fiber is the best, but I have not found a supplier, yet. I plan 4 trials to start: the stock cobra baffle and the cobra quiet-core, first each with cut-fiber mat, then each with continuous-fiber mat. I will post my results, but it might be a few weeks before I can get around to doing it...
MJK:patriot:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Fiberglass will not work on my Quite Baffles. There is a block plate welded between the rear of the baffle and the front flange of the device. It is designed to flow through the holes in the front tube, into the second section, out through the holes in front of the welded block plate, into the chamber, and into the last set of holes behind the block plate and then out the back. Same principle as a muffler. If you wrap them with fiberglass the exhaust will not flow. Hey! That's my .02 :patriot:

·
11,589 Posts
Fiberglass will not work on my Quite Baffles. There is a block plate welded between the rear of the baffle and the front flange of the device. It is designed to flow through the holes in the front tube, into the second section, out through the holes in front of the welded block plate, into the chamber, and into the last set of holes behind the block plate and then out the back. Same principle as a muffler. If you wrap them with fiberglass the exhaust will not flow. Hey! That's my .02 :patriot:
The stock baffles are more straightforward - the flow path is straight through - the fiberglass (FG) wraps around the entire cylinder. The flow path with the Quiet Cores is made to be more 'torturous': outside-inside-outside-inside, hence the reduction of the higher frequencies (HF). The forward endcap has to be removed or drilled out and the fore and aft sections wrapped, or drill-out both block plates and wrap the entire cylinder. The FG is a better suppressor of the HF, thus the reason for the mod. I'll post pics when I do it. That's the beauty of having Cobra's (and one of the reasons I bought them) - you have the ability to mod the cores and if you screw up, $54 and you are back to square one!
MJK:patriot:

·
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey MJK,
Have you had a chance to try any fiberglass wrap? I have gone back and forth with my baffles. I've put my Cobra quiet cores in but didn't like the plat plat sound. So I put my original baffles with the Smartpartz quiet baffle add-on, but I kept having something like a whistle sound at low rpm. I discovered a 1" tear in the steel of the original baffle. Wow, so I'm now back to the quiet core baffles. I drilled a single 1/2" hole in the plate closest to the end to see if it would improve the plat plat sound. It did help some.

·
11,589 Posts
Hey MJK,
Have you had a chance to try any fiberglass wrap? I have gone back and forth with my baffles. I've put my Cobra quiet cores in but didn't like the plat plat sound. So I put my original baffles with the Smartpartz quiet baffle add-on, but I kept having something like a whistle sound at low rpm. I discovered a 1" tear in the steel of the original baffle. Wow, so I'm now back to the quiet core baffles. I drilled a single 1/2" hole in the plate closest to the end to see if it would improve the plat plat sound. It did help some.
hi logan - yes, I did several experiments with FG to attenuate high frequencies (HF), which it did quite well. The problem was that all of the glass packs were too thick and it damped the low frequency (LF) tones as well and it didn't sound right to me. I was never able to obtain the Corning stuff which I have a feeling will be 'just the ticket'. I tried no baffles, Cobra stock baffles no FG, stock baffles with FG, Cobra quiet core (QC) baffles no FG, and QC with FG - and guess what - I still like the sound of the QC's alone the best. So that is what I am currently running - I don't have the plat-plat issue with mine. In fact, with no baffles and with the stock baffles was when I detected the plat-plat sound - no baffles had the worst sound IMHO. So, in conclusion, the QC's sound the best and have the deepest LF note on my bike - it was a lot of monkeyin' around to learn that I like my original set-up the best - but I just had to prove it to myself - sound bites rarely do justice to any pipes because the LF is usually missing due to microphone quality. I just don't understand your plat-plat issue - do your QC's fit the ID of the pipes tightly? Mine do...
:cheers:

·
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks MJK. That's great info.
I have been coming to the conclusion that sound dynamics sure can vary in the different combinations of exhaust models and cores. It could be too that the sound I have with speedster longs and the 24" QC baffles would be pleasing to others and just not to my liking. I like the sound of my speedster longs with the factory baffle but it's just too loud. My QC baffles do fit nice and snug and I think I could probably work with them and experiment with some fiberglass wraps and find something more pleasing. One thing in using the QC baffles - - I don't have any decel pops when I have those in but as soon as I change to a different baffle setup, the "pop! pop!" is intermittently back thanks to less back pressure. But I'm going back to my factory baffles with the Smartpartz quiet core add-in today (after trying to do some patching on them). I've loved the sound from that combination but it has been a little prone to rattle or sometimes a whistle sound (at low rpm) and I'm trying to make it better today. :)

·
11,589 Posts
...I have been coming to the conclusion that sound dynamics sure can vary in the different combinations of exhaust models and cores. It could be too that the sound I have with speedster longs and the 24" QC baffles would be pleasing to others and just not to my liking. I like the sound of my speedster longs with the factory baffle but it's just too loud...
Ahhh - I finally noticed the difference and I am sorry that I did not pick up on this sooner - I am a very visual person - and although your avatar photo is from the left side of the bike (hence, we cannot see your pipes), you did state in your very 1st post back in July that you have the Speedster Longs. It wasn't until you said it again in your latest post that 'the light went on'. First, your part about whether the exhaust note is pleasing - it being subjective/personal in nature - is right on. For the same reasons, we love the loudspeakers that we buy to reproduce our music - yet think that other brands sound crappy. Secondly, the plat-plat sound might be the nature of the beast with the Speedster Longs. I have noticed many comments throughout the different threads on the Cafe where people with the Speedster Slashdowns, Shorts, or Slash Cuts praise their sound - take dumbcomputers and 1golffreak comments, right in this thread, for example. So, I am wondering if the plat-plat sound is more intrinsic to the length of the pipes. Also, the shorter pipes take a shorter (~ 15") QC baffle. Acoustically, the sound must be different. Of course, I'm not suggesting that you get out the hacksaw :D but am just noticing the difference that we don't have the same pipes...
:patriot: 'laser

1 - 20 of 25 Posts