Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Also, the shorter pipes take a shorter (~ 15") QC baffle. Acoustically, the sound must be different. Of course, I'm not suggesting that you get out the hacksaw :D but am just noticing the difference that we don't have the same pipes...
:patriot: 'laser

No reason why you couldn't run the shorter baffles in the longs. Granted if you couldn't borrow them it would be an expensive experiment:(

·
Registered
140 Posts

·
~ High-Finesse Hooligan ~
11,589 Posts
Yes, this thread is 4 years old! However, I have posted a bit here and there (since then) on the Quiet Core (QC) baffles and how I am using them now... Hope some of you don't mind seeing all this again, but below are a few quotes/posts for your entertainment...

"I'm running Cobra Speedster Slashdowns with Quiet Core (QC) baffles. Have always loved the deep tone, but this setup is a little on the quiet side unless I really get on the throttle. I went to take the baffles out even though I never really liked the tone without 'em, but alas, I stripped the heads on both of the hex-socket button-head screws because they were frozen in place after years of service. So, I decided to do an experiment... got out my 0.250" dia x 10" L drill bit and drilled out the blocking plates - 8 holes in each... and... wallah. Got more decibels while barely changing the note - still very deep. There's just a skosh of a little higher harmonic, but not enough to detract from the low note that I love."

"A nice, unexpected result from this is that the bike starts easier, idles better, and has a 'cleaner' sound when I let off the throttle - did the baffles have too much back pressure?"

"They got much louder at speed/rpm than they did at idle. Drilling them out gave them more of a 'ripping the earth open' sound when I really get on it... a little higher harmonic to go along with the deep roar. I love it! Not as loud or 'high-pitched' as running no-baffles."

"One nice side-effect: the sound on decel got much better! Before I drilled out the 'blocking plates', there was a bit of a 'blub-blub-blub' sound on decel that I now attribute to too much back-pressure with the QC baffles..."

"Yes, drilled in place. I also did one hole per baffle at a time... started and listened in between each... keep in mind that a 5/8" dia drill imparts a hole with 6 times the area compared to one drilled by a 1/4" dia drill, so 1 hole with 5/8 drill already has almost the same 'exhaust flow bypass' as all 8 of mine! (Area = pi times the square of the radius)"

"I have run my Cobra Speedster Slashdowns with no baffles, Standard baffles (the ones they come with), glass-wrapped Standard baffles, Quiet Core baffles, and (currently) with Quiet Core baffles drilled-out. This is the configuration that I am happiest with - they have a deep, low note, and decent enough volume - especially at speed/rpm's."

"I remember people talking about a 'cleaner' sound on decel after they did the PAIR valve removal. When I did mine, I had no such improvement and always wondered why - when I would let off the throttle it would make sort of a 'blub-blub-blub' sound. Now, I know that was the baffle restriction, because that sound is completely gone after this mod. I'm surprised by how much easier it starts - it's immediate, now..."

'laser :patriot: http://www.vtxcafe.com/showthread.php/98234-pipes-mod-bike-starts-and-idles-better

·
Registered
20 Posts
logansrun,

Yes, I purchased the Cobra Quiet Core (9015Q) baffles for my Cobra Speedster Slashdowns and installed them along with the pipes (i.e., I took the stock cores out and put the QC's in before I put the pipes on the bike). I absolutely love the sound - nice, deep rumble - not obtrusively loud, but definitely loud enough for my tastes (much louder than the stock Honda pipes) - and I can sneak outta the neighborhood at 6am without pissing off the neighbors - in fact, they have commented on the deep rumble being not too excessive and one guy actually thanked me for 'being mature about it'. And the sound is great on decel, too. When you get on the throttle, they really rip and get you noticed, and at highway speeds they smooth right out for a comfortable ride. I found some reviews before I bought them, and people often said that the QC's actually make the exhaust note deeper along with quieter. So, I have never heard my bike with the Speedster stock cores which I kept - toyed with the idea of putting them in 'just to see' - very easy to swap, even on the bike - but haven't done it yet. Hope this helps. :D

Best price I have seen is at Direct Line Parts for $30.99 each and free shipping: http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=8912&str=13

Mark :patriot:
I have the Cobra speedster logs, and leave for work at 5am myself. Looking for exactly the same thing- just a bit less noise. Thank you!!!!👍

21 - 25 of 25 Posts