Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put the Cobra Fatty Bars on my 1300 in August of 2019. Bike never ridden in the rain, garaged over the winter. Rust pits and corrosion now with less than a year. I contacted Cobra, they only warranty the bar for 90 days. Really, only 90 days for a chromed steel pipe, what kind of warranty is that. They refused to stand behind the product. So, I reluctantly want to warn all my fellow riders to avoid Cobra until they get their quality control up to spec. Wondering if the bars are made in China or if they are just using extremely thin chrome to save money. See photos,

Attachments

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
Chroming in the USA is very costly... add double to the bars price... you willing to pay that..

also.. if bike is stored in a damp or humid area.. nothing stops rust...

50 years of storing my motorcycles every winter ... coat all chrome with a protectorate every fall as part of your winter storage program.

my 15 year old VTX.. 13 years in North East Ohio.... 92,000 miles.. and NO rust on my chrome.. I purchased it NEW 3/2005..

my signature photo.. was taken last month... I added the fairing.

·
Fastest Red Club Member
2007 VTX 1300R, Indianapolis
7,402 Posts
No rust on my Cobra fatty and it's been on bike from prior owner.

You live by the ocean I would expect everything to rust from salty air.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I live 20 mile inland from the Ocean. Plus, my bike is an 07 and the Honda factory chrome is still in great shape. Cobra chrome should not fail this bad in less than a year no matter where you live.

·
Reeling Jackwagon
2003 1300S
9,119 Posts
The Honda chrome covers are all plastic except the handle bars and spoke wheels. My Cobra fatties, slip-ons and tachometer are all rust free so far.

·
Mosin Prime
2005 1300R Lots of lights! 2 air horns P3 tail light w/Photon blasters Diode Dynamics and Daymaker
750 Posts
Don't know what the bars are on mine, but looking good too. I'll wipe them down usually once a year with some chrome polish when I have my highway bar covers off to treat them with some leather stuff. They were on it when I got it in 2012 back in WA. It's been through CO, NM, KS and now PA doing as much winter riding as I can. Handlebars are looking good, as well as the plastic chrome covers since they've been there since 2005.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Everyone is missing the point. Five years ago, Cobra was probably making a better product than they are today. Its for the new buyers of today that I post this warning. The photos speak for themselves. Plus, I sent the photos to Cobra and asked them to stand behind their product. Had they done so, I'd be sinking their praises. But they didn't. This is a another point that buyers should be aware. Yes, things happen in manufacturing, and maybe mine was a fluke, but Cobra did NOT stand behind this product which was only 10 months old.

·
Registered
16,353 Posts
My observations: For the past 10 years, quality control and human services have gone to hell in a handbasket. If you want to buy anything, do some product research before pulling the trigger and see what the recent reviews, if any, are. I'm going through this shit with Lowe's right now. I looked something up online, their site said it was in store for pick up. I go to the store, none there. Lie #1. I go home, order it online, they say 3-7 days. That was Wed. the 13th. I called on the phone yesterday, with no satisfaction. Went out there afterward, to speak to a MGR. Merely a longer-worked flunkie, again no help, and their excuse now was well, it's after 4PM, and we can't even check until TUESDAY with the holiday weekend. If I really didn't want this item so badly, I'd tell them to shove it sideways. FWIW, the company that sells the product I want is in So. Cal., so it's either sitting on a boat in San Diego harbor, or the box container hasn't cleared customs because nothing from China is moving these days, except the Wuhan virus.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts