Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my next project I would like to work on is getting some slip ons for my 09 1300C!

I am not looking for a super loud sound, just something a little more girthy when I twist the throttle.

Was wondering if any of you have has some experience with these Slashcuts from Cobra? They look really good, and from the videos I have seen, they add the sound to the bike that I think I am looking for.

Cobras Website

My other question is, will I need to adjust anything carburetor wise? Or will these simply just work with my current set up?

At some point I want to install the permanent A/F screw anyways. So if there is anything I need to do with the carb for this project, I will go ahead and do both at the same time. I just didn't know if this would change anything. I'm sure I wouldn't need to rejet, but I am just asking because I really don't know for sure.

Anyways, any info is much appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
10,753 Posts
Usually there is no carb changes needed if all you are doing is changing pipes. However, if you are running the stock carb set-up, then you should be aware that this set-up is poorly tuned for all the things that are likely important to you and well tuned ONLY for minimizing emissions so as to pass government emission requirements. I recommend rejetting at the same time that you change pipes and open up the air box.

Reactions: Corey Mathery

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I honestly should probably just bite the bullet, and rejet anyways. I know that everything would run much smoother in the long run. Probably better starts too! Thanks for the suggestions, I will have to take a bit to think about this purchase anyways. So I will be shopping around for the whole lot. Jet kit, Permanent A/F Screw, and these pipes. Is there anything else you would recommend that I might do? Because if I am gonna have the tank off for a bit to work on all of this, I might as well do other things if they are an upgrade.

·
Super Moderator
10,753 Posts
Dimpled block off plates for the pair valve system removal. Make sure that you only get a Factory Pro jet kit and not a Dynojet jet kit.

Reactions: Corey Mathery

·
Reeling Jackwagon
2003 1300S
9,234 Posts
Those pipes were on my bike when I bought it and I have felt no need to change.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I'm sure I wouldn't need to just for the pipes. But I do feel my carb could just operate better in general, especially since I operate in the cold quite often. Plus if i'm gonna go through and mess with the carb anyways, I might as well get r done. Mainly because I hate fiddling with the air box, trying to get the hoses reconnected haha!

·
Registered
88 Posts
if your just looking for better sound, I drilled about 5 holes in the plate on the back of the pipes, I think it sounds GOOD, but Not too loud. My wife says its loud when i start it.
I don't want it too loud, like a Harley, some people like that.
I think there was a name for drilling those holes but I don't remember what it was called.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey Corey:

I have had the Cobra Slip-on's for over four years now on my 2009 VTX1300R with no problems what so ever. No need for carb adjustments. And it was a quick and easy installation. And yes sounds like a Harley but I am one of the believers in that louder is better. I also installed a Wolo Big Bad Max Ultra Loud Air Horn as well. Comes in handy especially with all of the crazy cagers out there. I've heard much louder bike pipes than these. You wouldn't be making a mistake in purchasing these pipes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts