The last 2 nights I woke up thinking about a pot of home made potato soup

I use
1/2 lb of bacon chopped
1 onion medium minced
celery 1 cup chopped
red potato's about 2 lbs cubed and unpeeled
1 qt Half & Half

I brown the bacon then add the celery and onion and caramelize the onions
Add the spuds and just enough water to cover them then simmer till soft.
Add the Half &Half and turn down the heat and just bring up till hot again.

Then I pig out on several bowls

If you want clam chowder just add a can or 2 of clams to the above.

·
Banned
3,906 Posts
That sounds wonderful! I just made some chicken soup and added small cubed potatoes it was like chicken chowder. Otherwise I would be making your potato soup right now! That sounds great! It took us 3 days to eat 1/2 the crock pot. lol

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I love a good homemade soup.
I am going to try your recipe Charlie but I think I will add the clams. Never made a clam chowder before.

Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Man, no offense guys, but, I never have understood how people could eat that stuff. Maybe I am missing the boat here, but potato soup, to me, always looked and tasted like something left over in the bottom of the dishwasher. Now, I understand that you guys love it, and to each his own. Glad you enjoy your food. Like I said though, I just don't get it. We ate a lot of it when I was a kid, and yeah, then I was happy to have something to eat. But to seek it out now...just couldn't do it. Oh well, just felt compelled to share, lol. Enjoy your soup gentlemen.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Some would say that soup is boring, I find it anything but boring with all the different directions you can take it.

Some would rather sit down to a big plate of liver and onions. You could make me eat it by putting a gun to my head.

Like you said "To each his own" just means "NO SOUP for YOU!" "More SOUP for ME!"

·
Banned
2,072 Posts
Some would say that soup is boring, I find it anything but boring with all the different directions you can take it.

Some would rather sit down to a big plate of liver and onions. You could make me eat it by putting a gun to my head.

Like you said "To each his own" just means "NO SOUP for YOU!" "More SOUP for ME!"
I think every culture has their own interpretation of "soul food" ... dietary staples of the poor ... (I'm not sure where 'the poor' would get a quart of half & half ... )

The neat thing about "soul food" is to share it with others, particularly during cultural celebrations ...

This is great stuff ...

Part of my heritage is a similar recipe with tomato rather than cream base ... baccala, clam juice and olives ... and plenty of garlic ...

thanks so much ...

opinions vary ...

all blessings ...

crew

·
Equito Passim
9,148 Posts
I do about the same thing in mine, Except:

I half-cook the potatoes in water. (Red russet's only.. no idaho bakers)

I use milk and heavy cream as the base for the soup, and a roux (melted butter and flour mixed into a paste) to thicken the final product.

I put the half cooked potatoes, celery, onions, and bacon into the milk and heavy cream mix, and bring to a boil. Once boiling, thicken with roux and let sit until lukewarm.

Once lukewarm, I heat it back up and add a little celery seed and a little white pepper.

-Gonz

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I do about the same thing in mine, Except:

I half-cook the potatoes in water. (Red russet's only.. no idaho bakers)

I use milk and heavy cream as the base for the soup, and a roux (melted butter and flour mixed into a paste) to thicken the final product.

I put the half cooked potatoes, celery, onions, and bacon into the milk and heavy cream mix, and bring to a boil. Once boiling, thicken with roux and let sit until lukewarm.

Once lukewarm, I heat it back up and add a little celery seed and a little white pepper.

-Gonz
My twist to thicken is to grate some of the spuds
2 bowls left and heating now for my dinner.

·
Banned
3,906 Posts
My issue, I always cook enough for a Family of 4 with left overs. My girlfriend is 110 lbs so she only eats like once a day. Then I am stuck with breakfast lunch and dinner. I love cooking but, only like once a week. That is unless I am smoking meats. Then it takes a majority of a week to do. Also once I start, I keep it going so I can put it away for later. I have summer sausage in the freezer, smoked chickens and beef jerky in the door of the freezer. Then when I get the urge for one, it is fat free (as much is possible) and a healthy alternative.

·
Pie liker/Snow Hater
9,911 Posts
OK...so...Deb was at her parents for the last two days, so I tried this. Figured if I screwed it up, I could clean up the mess and she'd be none the wiser. ;)

I d
idn't go off of any one recipe. Looked at about twenty different ones.

This is what I did...

*Potato soup in the slow cooker.

1 Bag o spuds. (Red) Skinned and Cubed.

4 cups chicken broth.

1 -2 cups water. (Bring liquid in cooker to the top of the taters.)

Pound of bacon cut in two inch pieces, browned, and drained.

Handful of mini carrots cubed.

The tiniest onion, cut fine, and caramelized.

Salt.

Pepper. (From a grinder.)

Celery salt.

Garlic powder.

Slow cooker on hi for 6 hours.

Cup of shredded cheddar on top at 6 hour point. (If veggies are cooked.)

*In a pan on med heat. (Do this 30 minutes before you serve.)

1 Pint of half and half.

1 cup of milk.

Pepper. (From a grinder)

Stir till it starts to thicken. (Ad fake tater flakes til thick as you want.)

Pour in crock pot with taters. Stir it all up.

Ad water, or spud flakes as needed to thin or thicken.

It was a big hit here.

Deb came home around supper time. Her mom came here for a couple days. My Mother-In-Law (Who is a fantastic cook.) Loved it! Asked me to copy the recipe for her. I told her I could write it down for her. "She said you can just copy it for me." "Nothing to copy" I said. I just read a bunch of other recipes and made my own. She was impressed. (I was too.) ;)

Made cornbread with it too. Got just a very little bit of soup left. Lunch tomorrow! :)

Thanks for the inspirations guys!

Ray

·
Banned
2,072 Posts
Looking at these recipes I thought of a similar one using fresh corn rather than potato ... but thought again to my primary thought that the best way to become a good cook is to learn basic cooking techniques and to make the most of fresh, local produce in season ...

Recipes may be good maps but they ain't worth the paper they're printed on without someone in the driver seat to take them home ... and I'm sure that all of you are ....

... but if you know techniqes you can always jump behind the wheel and chances are you'll end up at an interesting spot and folks will enjoy taking the ride with you ...

So ...

With ingredients ...

... as I'm sure most of you know ...

If you want to go "cracker" with these "soul food" recipes you can start by using salt pork rather than bacon as bacon is often 'smoked" or dried ...

... the important thing is fresh, local and in season whenever possible ...

thanks to all of you for all the fun ...

opinions vary ...

all blessings ...

crew

1 - 14 of 14 Posts