Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I have the Kuryakyn 4604 Run Turn Brake system installed, I am ready to convert the front and rear turn signal and brake light lamps to LED. So, can you fellows recommend a high quality replacement white LED lamp for the front and rear turn signal lamp sockets and one for the brake lamp socket on the VTX 1300C? The Kuryakyn RTB came with a single load equalizer and an additional connector for a second one if necessary so I'm good there. Also I installed the Kuryakyn red rear lenses so white LEDs are good all around. Suggestions? Thanks in advance for everyone's time.

I will probably also install an LED headlight and I think the recommendation in this forum is the Daymaker headlight is that right? Or is there a direct drop in LED for the headlight that is of good quality and bright? I think bill_rides had a good one he recommended.

Barry

·
Registered
2009 VTX 1300R, Long Island NY
1,092 Posts
I have these Switchback LEDs for the front, and have red LEDs for the rear (I have smoked lenses):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M26IHAR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don't know if your setup already address the low load of LEDs, I have a zero load indicator relay.

As you can see they match my Daymaker headlight, and I now have a Cobra Light bar with 2 Daymaker (4.5") lights:

This setup works well with my GPS Batwing fairing:

Reactions: bnwitt and PaXman11

·
Fastest Red Club Member
2007 VTX 1300R, Indianapolis
8,327 Posts
Do NOT use load equalizers on the 1300 models. Change the flasher.
Load equalizer is not needed and you lose the energy saving of LED.

·
Registered
291 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gentlemen,
thank you for all of the feedback. Can anyone direct me to the replacement flasher unit for the VTX 1300 LED use? Is the one on superbrightleds.com the one to get?

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/flashers-load-resistors/electronic-led-flasher-relays-for-motorcycle/787/842/

I like the switchback setup but where does one get clear Honda OEM style (with the bottom tab) front lenses for the stock turn signals since I don't have a light bar? Which clear LED bulbs would one put in the rear turn signals with red lenses already in place and can the same one go into the tail light position? And finally which direct drop in LED headlight bulb is the best out there?

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Reactions: bnwitt and PaXman11

·
Registered
666 Posts
Gentlemen,
thank you for all of the feedback. Can anyone direct me to the replacement flasher unit for the VTX 1300 LED use? Is the one on superbrightleds.com the one to get?

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/flashers-load-resistors/electronic-led-flasher-relays-for-motorcycle/787/842/

I like the switchback setup but where does one get clear Honda OEM style (with the bottom tab) front lenses for the stock turn signals since I don't have a light bar? Which clear LED bulbs would one put in the rear turn signals with red lenses already in place and can the same one go into the tail light position? And finally which direct drop in LED headlight bulb is the best out there?
Yep, that's the one that I got. Plugs right in . At least it did in 2005 1300C.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok so I bought everything from Superbrightleds.com Plain white dual function lamps for all four turn signals and some spares, a white lamp for the license plate and the electronic flasher

PRODUCT(S)
Qty
Product/Options
Price/Ea
LF1-S-FLAT: Universal Flat Motorcycle Flasher
$8.95
1157-NW27-T-2PK: Natural White - 2 Pack
$19.90
67-W15: Natural White
$4.95
Subtotal:
$73.60
Shipping:
$4.69
Sales Tax:
$0.00
TOTAL:
$78.29

·
Mosin Prime
2019 Indian Roadmaster P3 Tail Light w/Photon Blasters Alert Diode DynamicsLEDs Adaptive2 Headlight
835 Posts
I got these for my headlight, plug and play. Hi/low beam and haven't had any issues with it since September. Brighter than the MR16 lights that I have attached to my highway bars, to give it a triangle effect when front facing. I wish I could use all the H4 LEDs, but they are too big to fit in the riding light housing I have. The MR16s are still nice and bright, I always turn them on during the day, and ride with my hi beam on 100% in the day time. I also have some additional front facing LED lights, that I got a while back from Skene Designs. They have a modulator and when you look at them, they have a slight shimmer. You can get white or yellow. They are photon blasters, and if I tap the brake twice within a second, they will emit a 4 rapid and 4 slow flash. I just have those constant on with power. I got Glen's blinker bar a while back too. The LEDs are yellow, and have them on for running and turn use. I added some LED yellow/red strips on either side of my saddle bags as well. Yellows for turn, red activates with the brake application. So the only light on my MC that's not LED, is the original brake light. I have a P3 tail light also from Skene that shimmers and is programmable for the stop pattern you like. They are expensive, but for me well worth it to be hopefully better seen on any road or in the city. But the link below is for the headlight I got. I also was trying to find some new MR16 size LEDs that have a 6000+ Kelvin temperature color to maybe more closely match the headlight, and look a bit more crisp with something new. It's a lot of extra lights, but I think well worth it. I just got some brand new LED strips to replace the lights on my saddle bags, they are more than 5 or 6 years old, and water got in the tube so some of the LEDs are out.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-H4-9003-6000K-White-8000LM-CREE-LED-Headlight-Bulbs-Kit-High-Low-Beam/253502930848?hash=item3b05f3bfa0:g:nHYAAOSwjLtbYSss:sc:USPSFirstClass!19428!US!-1

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So thanks to all for the guidance. I received my order from Superbightleds.com really quick and now everything is converted except the headlight. That lamp will be here in a few days. The electronic flasher cycles at a good rate and everything is way brighter. These lamps coupled with the Kuryakyn RTB have really improved the visability of my VTX. Thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Which lamps?

Mark,
What I have done so far is replace all four turn signal lamps and the brake/tail light with Superbrightled.com's 1157-NW27-T-2PK: Natural White dual function 27 LED lamps which can go in either a single element lamp socket or a dual element lamp socket. I also replaced the license plate lamp with their 67-W15: Natural White LED lamp intended for that location and finally I put in their electronic LED flasher relay for motorcycles based on IndyX's "no load equalizers" recommendation to slow the flash rate. I am waiting on an LED headlight lamp from eBay for the headlight. This is the one recommended by MosinZealot. Links to everything are below.

I would have loved to have used the switchback LED's in the front signal positions but I have stock units with orange lenses and that wouldn't have worked unless I could find clear lenses for them.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/search/led-products/67-w15+natural+white/

https://www.superbrightleds.com/search/led-products/1157-nw27-t-2pk+natural+white/

https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...ic-led-flasher-relays-for-motorcycle/787/842/

https://www.ebay.com/itm/253502930848?ul_noapp=true

Attachments

·
~ High-Finesse Hooligan ~
11,589 Posts
Thank you kindly, Barry! :mosh: This - brighter lighting - is going to be my primary bike project this season among a few smaller topics and maintenance tasks. My wifey's :swoon: Indian Scout came with all-LED lights from the factory and made me appreciate how much I need this for safety. Excellent post, man - very much appreciated! :cheers:

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mark,
My pleasure. Everything was around $100 with shipping and I got an extra headlight lamp as well as an extra dual function LED lamp for spares. Of course the Kuryakyn RTB makes a huge difference on the rear visibility and the LED license plate lamp is pretty bright too. The previous owner had put in an LED just in the tail light position, but it only had 18 LEDs compared to the 27 of this new one. Superbrightleds.com recommends choosing a color lamp that matches each of your lenses but I went with all natural white ones for consistency and given the fact the stock incandescent ones are all white I figured what the heck.

Barry

·
Mosin Prime
2019 Indian Roadmaster P3 Tail Light w/Photon Blasters Alert Diode DynamicsLEDs Adaptive2 Headlight
835 Posts
I guess I'll also consider one of those LED brake light dual function. Why not, may as well make it all LED. My weekend starts Monday night, so I'm going to be looking to get my new LED lights installed also. And my additional air horn I just got for it.

Reactions: PaXman11
1 - 20 of 44 Posts