Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the past few days I have noticed a very small amount of coolant on the ground under my bike. I took off the left side cover and could see that it was dripping from the bolt that holds the water pump on the bottom of the engine. I checked the coolant tank and it is between the "high" and "low" marks. Is this anything I should be concerned about? I wipe off the leaking coolant last night, put a fresh white towel under the bike, and when I checked it this morning there is one very small drip of coolant under the bike again. Thanks for any help.

It's a 2006 1800F with 6500 miles.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Coolant leak

Pay no attention the 1800 and the 1300 are completely different. You need to determine if the antifreeze is coming from that bolt or is it coming from up higher up higher is a weep hole on the water pump that will start dribbling when the water pump is going bad. If you can get it up in the air a bit and stick a mirror under there you should be able to see if the antifreeze is dripping down from the pump. I just changed mine it has 15000 miles and after doing some research I found the 1800s have an issue with the water pumps going bad around 12000 mile so you are pretty early but it may just be starting. I hope that is not the case for you. First check that for leaks then pull of the side cover and hit the hose clamps with a screw driver make sure they are tight. The pump is pretty easy to change but the part is close to 200.00 bucks plus another 22.00 for antifreeze. Check those items out and let me know what you see. Sorry I went back and reread what you had written and I saw you had already pulled the side cover off. The weep hole for the waterpump is just on the other side of the pump if it is leaking you will be able to see a trail of antifreeze coming down the water pump.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pay no attention the 1800 and the 1300 are completely different. You need to determine if the antifreeze is coming from that bolt or is it coming from up higher up higher is a weep hole on the water pump that will start dribbling when the water pump is going bad. If you can get it up in the air a bit and stick a mirror under there you should be able to see if the antifreeze is dripping down from the pump. I just changed mine it has 15000 miles and after doing some research I found the 1800s have an issue with the water pumps going bad around 12000 mile so you are pretty early but it may just be starting. I hope that is not the case for you. First check that for leaks then pull of the side cover and hit the hose clamps with a screw driver make sure they are tight. The pump is pretty easy to change but the part is close to 200.00 bucks plus another 22.00 for antifreeze. Check those items out and let me know what you see. Sorry I went back and reread what you had written and I saw you had already pulled the side cover off. The weep hole for the waterpump is just on the other side of the pump if it is leaking you will be able to see a trail of antifreeze coming down the water pump.
I stuck my finger up on the other side of the water pump and it was dry. The only place I felt/saw coolant dripping from was the bolt I mentioned. Will riding the bike hurt anything or should I just keep an eye on the coolant level and continue to check the weep hole?

·
Registered
91 Posts
You can ride it no problem. Just keep an eye on the temp gauge idiot light. And watch the puddle of coolant in fact I changed my pump because I like everything to be perfect but I could have ridden it for quite a while before it really became neccessary to change also just kind of pay attention to the fan the frequency that it turns on and off, if it is kicking on and off a lot it means the bike is running warm. Not hot just warm. Just watch the temperature light that's is all you need be concerned with and the level of antifreeze in the overflow tank. If the light comes on then the bike is running hot stop and let it cool down check the overflow bottle.Add distilled water only if you do not have any silicate free anti freeze use distilled water only. Or De-Ionized water hard to get. Distilled water you can get at any grocery store.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Give it some time. Sounds like it may have set up for awhile given the low mileage. My 1300 sat for a year before I bought it and had the same problem for the first month. Then it stopped - I am assuming the seal bedded back in. Keep an eye on the overflow tank level, snug up the hose clamps and watch it for awhile.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Give it some time. Sounds like it may have set up for awhile given the low mileage. My 1300 sat for a year before I bought it and had the same problem for the first month. Then it stopped - I am assuming the seal bedded back in. Keep an eye on the overflow tank level, snug up the hose clamps and watch it for awhile.
I'm thinking you are right. I drove it 60 miles today and let it sit for about and hour. Came out and checked it and saw no leak. Felt under neath the bike and around the water pump and felt no coolant. The bike sat for about a month without me riding it and that may have caused the seal to relax a bit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had a similar leak , small puddle of coolant on the drive way after a ride. On one ride the temp light came on. Dealer found a radiator leak by the mounting bracket. Had to replace it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
same thing here. took it to shop and they say something punctured the radiator,yet it's covered under the warranty. sounds like honda may have some defective radiatirs to me though. anyways,sittin without a bike for 7-10 days sucks!!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Honda could have an issue with radiators but on the other hand radiators are very flimsy a pebble hitting the right place can ruin a radiator. Well maybe ruin it maybe not if you know how to solder you can fix them many times. But they are really flimsy. Just think how happy you will be when you get your bike back and be grateful the radiator was covered under warranty.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I had a slight leak awhile back, the lower rad hose clamp was slightly loose. When I checked the rest they were all loose. Ride safe!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm having a similar issue with my 02 1800r....Leaking coolant. Left side in front of the left side cover. It's not making puddles on the ground though. I'm thinking it's just adjusting to being ridden daily after sitting I know for at least 7 months at the place I bought it from. Guess I'll ride it a few more weeks and keep tabs on the leak before I decide the next course of action.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts