Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, I changed out my coolant Saturday, so I thought I would go ahead and take some pics along the way.

The bike doesn't need to be on a stand, but it makes things easier to get at.

First thing is to remove the tank. Check out Bassdudes link here. http://www.vtxcafe.com/showthread.php?t=33679&highlight=tank+removal

Then remove the radiator cap.

Remove the left side cover, and left side trans cover.

With a pan under the bike to catch the fluid, remove the cooling system drain bolt, and allow coolant to drain completely.

Reinstall the drain bolt with a new sealing washer.

The manual calls for removing the siphon hose from the overflow tank and draining, but I chose to remove the entire tank and drain and clean. You only have to remove the filler neck, and one mounting bolt. There is a rubber grommet that holds the right side of the tank so don’t lose it.

Pull the tank down as far as possible and then remove the siphon hose and hold your thumb over the inlet while removing it the rest of the way.

Clean and reinstall the overflow tank.

Fill the system with a 1:1 mixture of silicate free ethylene glycol anti-freeze and distilled water up to the filler neck.

Set the tank back on and connect the fuel and vacuum lines and run the bike at idle for 3 minutes. Give the throttle a few rev’s to work any air out of the system.

Top off the coolant at the filler neck, and replace cap.

Fill the overflow tank to the high mark (I used a squeeze bottle and filled it before reinstalling the filler neck) and replace cap.

Wipe everything down, check for leaks, replace side covers and you are ready to roll. :choppersm

If I missed anything or anyone has anything to add feel free.

·
nivensid
231 Posts
Ok, I changed out my coolant Saturday, so I thought I would go ahead and take some pics along the way.

The bike doesn't need to be on a stand, but it makes things easier to get at.

First thing is to remove the tank. Check out Bassdudes link here. http://www.vtxcafe.com/showthread.php?t=33679&highlight=tank+removal

Then remove the radiator cap.

Remove the left side cover, and left side trans cover.

With a pan under the bike to catch the fluid, remove the cooling system drain bolt, and allow coolant to drain completely.

Reinstall the drain bolt with a new sealing washer.

The manual calls for removing the siphon hose from the overflow tank and draining, but I chose to remove the entire tank and drain and clean. You only have to remove the filler neck, and one mounting bolt. There is a rubber grommet that holds the right side of the tank so don’t lose it.

Pull the tank down as far as possible and then remove the siphon hose and hold your thumb over the inlet while removing it the rest of the way.

Clean and reinstall the overflow tank.

Fill the system with a 1:1 mixture of silicate free ethylene glycol anti-freeze and distilled water up to the filler neck.

Set the tank back on and connect the fuel and vacuum lines and run the bike at idle for 3 minutes. Give the throttle a few rev’s to work any air out of the system.

Top off the coolant at the filler neck, and replace cap.

Fill the overflow tank to the high mark (I used a squeeze bottle and filled it before reinstalling the filler neck) and replace cap.

Wipe everything down, check for leaks, replace side covers and you are ready to roll. :choppersm

If I missed anything or anyone has anything to add feel free.
Question, after you put in the new coolant, do you leave off the coolant cap when you sit the tank back on and run the bike for 3 minutes? Thanks for the excellent write up and the pics....

·
Registered
989 Posts
Nice write up there. Great pics!!

How much coolant total did you add to the system?

Now when its done this way, does it drain the radiator, block, and hoses as well?

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great write-up!!...Another how-to in the books!!...:mosh:
Great info! Thank you! :cheers:
Thanks guys.

Question, after you put in the new coolant, do you leave off the coolant cap when you sit the tank back on and run the bike for 3 minutes? Thanks for the excellent write up and the pics....
Leave the cap off, your only running it long enough to get the thermostat open and purge any air out of the system.

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
Thanks Jstar, you have saved me some money here by showing what you did in pic's! I now feel like I can do this the next time around.

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
Could of used this two days ago.....very nice write up.

I removed the entire overflow tank as well. I had trouble removing the overflow tank hoses from mine. They refused to come loose and those clamps weren't going anywhere. I ended up disconnecting the overflow filler cap and removing the entire filler tube with the overflow tank still attached.

·
Flying Dutchman
94 Posts
Your timing is great....I have the fluid setting in a box in the garage right now waiting to get the job done. Your write up will help in a big way. Thanks a lot!!

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
now while you have the linkage to the shifter exposed it is also a good time to clean and grease it up with some good lithium grease.
Good point Charlie, I did just that, as well as the side stand. Also changed the engine and final drive oil, and several other items.
Installed some passenger grab rails I made up for the wife and daughter also.

Nice write up there. Great pics!!

How much coolant total did you add to the system?

Now when its done this way, does it drain the radiator, block, and hoses as well?
This is per the manual. 2.9 qts for the engine and radiator, .25 qts for the overflow tank.
I assume it drains as much as possible without total disassembly.

·
Reeling Jackwagon
2003 1300S
9,172 Posts
Spot on!!!

·
9,160 Posts
Very good write up . . . . . thanks for taking the time to document it. :cheers:

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
where did you get the anti freeze and what kind was it?
I used Prestone from the local auto parts store. The main thing is make sure it is silicate free so it doesn't damage the water pump, and use distilled water to dilute it.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts