Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

61 - 80 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
This helped me A LOT, just changed my 2007 VTX 1300r and took off the Spedo with three bolts as not to unplug wiring, wraped it in a towl and hung it on handlebars! It was a Fun job and easy to get the tank off - gas hose, vacuum hose and one more off of he rear of the tank! flushed it with the help of my Air Compressor to get the last of the fluid out. Flushed with Distilled H2O and off we go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even had a chance to hook up termianls for my Battery Tender on the Posts!

Dexter, Michigan Rides again!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thank You so very much for all this. Made it a whole lot easier than trying to figure it out myself. Very clear directions and pics. You need to be commended.If u r ever in Amarillo,Tx, i will take you to dinner.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Nice wright up, I should be able to follow it even though I can't open any of the pic's.:icon_frow All I see is boxes with X's in them.:shrug:

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Nice wright up, I should be able to follow it even though I can't open any of the pic's.:icon_frow All I see is boxes with X's in them.:shrug:
I had to reload the pics. Check around page 6, they should be there.

·
Registered
16,895 Posts
Maintenance newbie here. Been re-reading this over and over so as not to miss something. I admit, I've neglected some things on this bike, and this is one of them. I don't believe anything like this was done before now, to my bike, 10 yrs. and less than 10 K mi. I saw NO fluid in the overflow tank. Got the tank up and drained it into a catch container, then into an empty jug. I see a little over 2 quarts of fluid. I spilled a couple ounces on my floor, but there is nowhere near the specified 2.9 qts. + .25 qt. (8 oz.) capacity. NO LEAKS have ever been observed in the nearly 2 years I've had it. My question is: Would this amount be an acceptable loss over 10 yrs. and 10K miles, say out the overflow, or what else could I be missing? Where did it go. Should the hoses from the radiator be changed after 10 years if there are no signs of leaks, damage, dry rot, etc.? Am I looking for trouble where there isn't any? -signed, Worry Wart

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #69

·
Registered
543 Posts
I went through every page again and I see red X's on the first post and the same red X's on the second post ( page 6). Maybe it's my browser. I'll check a couple of other browsers when I get home from work.

·
That's Running not Red
2008 Honda VTX 1300R
1,325 Posts
^pics on page 6 are there for me. This is good timing. I'm doing mine tomorrow.

·
Falco peregrinus anatum
520 Posts
Great write up. Thank you for your time doing the posting and write up. This will be added to my personal manual, along with the other great write ups. cheers:cheers:

·
Registered
543 Posts
Easiest way to see if its flowing once the tank is on is to slide it as far toward the driver as possible. Then I got my phone in there so I could get a better angle. But I have a fairing in my way so it's a little harder to see the fill point.

The drain plug at the bottom of the water pump is the low point. It comes out fast too!

To get all of it I rocked the bike back and forth and side to side. Then I did.as another member said. Blew on the hole. It came out easy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Question: is prestone Dex cool 50/50 prediluted - extended life ...safe... to use in my 1300R ???... it doesn't list any of the bad ingredients, only water, ethylene, and diethylene glycol, and proprietary inhibitors :/

61 - 80 of 104 Posts