Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

81 - 96 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Ok, I changed out my coolant Saturday, so I thought I would go ahead and take some pics along the way.

The bike doesn't need to be on a stand, but it makes things easier to get at.

First thing is to remove the tank. Check out Bassdudes link here. http://www.vtxcafe.com/showthread.php?t=33679&highlight=tank+removal

Then remove the radiator cap.

Remove the left side cover, and left side trans cover.

With a pan under the bike to catch the fluid, remove the cooling system drain bolt, and allow coolant to drain completely.

Reinstall the drain bolt with a new sealing washer.

The manual calls for removing the siphon hose from the overflow tank and draining, but I chose to remove the entire tank and drain and clean. You only have to remove the filler neck, and one mounting bolt. There is a rubber grommet that holds the right side of the tank so don’t lose it.

Pull the tank down as far as possible and then remove the siphon hose and hold your thumb over the inlet while removing it the rest of the way.

Clean and reinstall the overflow tank.

Fill the system with a 1:1 mixture of silicate free ethylene glycol anti-freeze and distilled water up to the filler neck.

Set the tank back on and connect the fuel and vacuum lines and run the bike at idle for 3 minutes. Give the throttle a few rev’s to work any air out of the system.

Top off the coolant at the filler neck, and replace cap.

Fill the overflow tank to the high mark (I used a squeeze bottle and filled it before reinstalling the filler neck) and replace cap.

Wipe everything down, check for leaks, replace side covers and you are ready to roll. :choppersm

If I missed anything or anyone has anything to add feel free.
I cant see the pics

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Look at Post #53...all of the pictures were reposted there and they are currently visible.
The pictures are very helpful!

i did a video of it here:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Photophucket screwed many who had pics posted there. This is why the content is missing.

·
Premium Member
10,097 Posts
I just squeeze the suction hose (bottom raditor hose to waterpump) numeroud times to remove air in lieu of cranking and burping. :patriot:

·
Deplorable member
7,409 Posts
I just squeeze the suction hose (bottom raditor hose to waterpump) numeroud times to remove air in lieu of cranking and burping. :patriot:
:icon_suspicious:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Question, after you put in the new coolant, do you leave off the coolant cap when you sit the tank back on and run the bike for 3 minutes? Thanks for the excellent write up and the pics....
great info..... but it says with pics.... i dont see any pictures with the write up??????

·
Registered
97 Posts
Here is a good link that describes how to do a flush and fill correctly for those that haven't done it in a while or want to do it. This post is just a drain and replace which most people do. Its on a cbr 1000 but the process is similar for all bikes. Hope this helps

https://www.russbrooks.com/2009/4/5/flush-the-cooling-system-on-a-honda-cbr-1000rr

Well, nevermind. It doesnt seem to want to go to the link from this forum. But, if you go to russbrooks.com and click on motorbikes on the right under categories you'll see it. Maybe cause it's not a secure site? But, ive never had a problem with it

·
Whatever...
694 Posts
Updating this because I do it "differently" and I still can't see the pics:swear:

First thing is to remove the tank. Check out Bassdudes link here. https://www.vtxcafe.com/showthread.ph...t=tank+removal
I remove the instrument panel, rather than unplug the dash.

Then remove the radiator cap.

Remove the left side cover and leave the transmission cover alone.

With a pan under the bike to catch the fluid, find the lower radiator hose and loosen the hose clamp. Remove the hose, and allow coolant to drain completely.

I got crazy, and connected the exhaust side of my Shop Vac to the Radiator Fill (where the Radiator Cap was) and blew out about a cup of coolant that was hiding in there somewhere.

Reinstall the radiator hose.

The manual calls for removing the siphon hose from the recovery tank and draining, but I chose to connect a ¼" hose to the tube that connects to the coolant recovery tank at the radiator cap, and used the Shop Vac to start a siphon of the coolant out of the tank. I got about another 2 cups of liquid...

Clean up the recovery hose. I had to cut off about ½" of cracked tube. and reinstall the hose that connects to the fitting where the radiator cap goes..

Fill the system with a 1:1 mixture of silicate free ethylene glycol anti-freeze and distilled water up to the filler neck. I used Toyota Long Life Coolant (LLC) because I had some handy... The Toyota RED is made for aluminum blocks and is SILICATE and PHOSPHATE free - this is IMPORTANT. The green stuff that was in the cooling system was "compatible with all other coolants" so it should be OK to mix with the Toyota stuff. You may want to flush with distilled water. I did not.

Set the tank back on and connect the fuel and vacuum lines and run the bike at idle for 3 minutes. Give the throttle a few rev’s to work any air out of the system.

Top off the coolant at the filler neck, and replace cap.

Pull the coolant filler neck off the bike and rotate it 90º so that it will allow you to pour coolant into the coolant recovery tank. Fill the recovery tank to the high mark and replace cap.

See - contents are now RED!

Wipe everything down, check for leaks, replace side covers and you are ready to roll.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,097 Posts
I burp my system via squeezing the suction hose numerous times. Be careful as you could force coolant out of raditor fill neck. Wishing all well!🇺🇸🇺🇸

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks for the new pics @ [U]eherlihy[/U]
I too use the Toyota Long Life in all my bikes and cars. Always have some around. Weird thing is...my Tacoma and Rav4 take premix and my Camry calls for me to mix...Either way. Proven stuff.

·
Super Moderator
9,677 Posts
Many of the older threads that had pictures had those pictures hosted on a website called Photobucket. This website changed its rules to be a pay site and this broke all the links to the pictures. It is quite possible that the pictures in this thread were part of that fiasco.

·
Whatever...
694 Posts
From what I understand PhotoBucket changed their price model, and has added a "Hosted on PhotoBucket" watermark to all pictures now hosted on their site. I believe that you can pay to have the watermark removed. However, many people (like me) became so angry with PhotoBucket when they held our pictures hostage that we deleted our accounts, which also deleted our pix.

81 - 96 of 96 Posts