Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

101 - 104 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hey guys I did the steps here ad successfully changed my coolant , what I dont know how to do is find a funnel small enough to get coolant into the overflow/storage tank , and second what level should I fill it to ? Low or High? When its cold im saying not hot . Thanks !

·
Registered
135 Posts
OK I see its the high side of the recovery tank , one thing im unsure of is what does it mean when you say "Pull the coolant filler neck off the bike and rotate it 90º so that it will allow you to pour coolant into the coolant recovery tank." I dont understand what that means but I am trying to figure out how to get it in there the hole is tiny and too small for either one of my funnels

·
Fastest Red Club Member
2007 VTX 1300R, Indianapolis
7,650 Posts
OK I see its the high side of the recovery tank , one thing im unsure of is what does it mean when you say "Pull the coolant filler neck off the bike and rotate it 90º so that it will allow you to pour coolant into the coolant recovery tank." I dont understand what that means but I am trying to figure out how to get it in there the hole is tiny and too small for either one of my funnels
You can get one of those squeeze bottles like restaurants used to use for ketchup and put coolant into that and squirt into tank. Not the most ideal placement of filler neck.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
after the system has burped, put the tank back on and top it off (that is the engine is cold because not all the fluid is hot, it just started to circulate), i would make sure you are filled up to the bottom line (low) on the reservoir. high would mean the engine is and all of the coolant is hot and has expanded to the high mark.

get the bike of the jack and stand it on its side...use a sharpie and mark a new line LOW on an angle.

Then, ride or run your bike for 10 minutes or so, then the come back and put the bike back on the jack. see where the level is...top it off to the high mark at this time while bike is level. then lower the bike back on its side stand and mark a new mark HIGH on an angle so that you never to put the bike on the jack again or have someone sit on it to see if the liquid is at the correct level.

as for the funnel...get a transmission oil funnel, it has a long and flexible neck, use it to add fluid....or take a water botter or soda bottle and cut a hole on the side, stick the open end in the hole and drop fluid into the cut whole and you have a make shift funnel.

Reactions: IndyX
101 - 104 of 104 Posts