Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Dragon Slayer
8,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got around to changing out my coolant today along with final drive gear fluid. Everything went fairly smooth(whose idea was it to use those cheapAZZ clamps on everyhose?:banghead:) Just a couple of questions here, a week ago I noticed that whenever I stopped & shut the bike off I would hear a gurgling sound from the coolant system, figured it might have been a bit low as the reservior was showing a bit low, but after changing the fluid out, I noticede it's still there when shutting down. I made sure to "burp" the air out of the system per manual specs, but I'm thinking maybe the "stat" has gone bad? Any advice would be appreciated on this. Also when I took the filler cap off the final drive a fair amount of fluid came right out. Possible overfill from the factory? Anyway, drained it out per manual spec & refilled with Castrol 80w-90 per manual specs, any thoughts on this?

·
Equito Passim
9,148 Posts
You can "Burp" a system and not get all the air out. Burp it again.

Burping is Air. Air continues to get in there, or you're losing coolant because of some leak...?

Just be aware, check for leaks.. It may only leak when full temp, it may only leak when riding... or.... I dunno... I'm going from a Car's Coolant system outlook of things... cant be much different.

My biggest question would be "Why did it start doing it in the first place"

Ya know?

-Gonz

·
Registered
882 Posts
Someone filled the final like it was a car rearend. Really amased it did not blow out the vent with that much in there. The burping should go away if you do not open the cap and only top up the over fill tank. If it keeps happening check the tube from the tank to the system for kinks a smashed point or loose conection.

·
Dragon Slayer
8,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, since I have no other suggestions, I will attempt to "burp" the system again tomorrow.:hmm2:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Check your filler cap. There is a small valve in the center that might be sticking. This valve lets the water return from the reservoir as the system cools and contracts. Is the top radiator hose collapsing as well? Might try some WD40 on the cap or replace.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts