Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
blaster
87 Posts
Coolant

Well....water works best. Here in South Texas we very rarely get a hard freeze. I garage both my bikes but, still ride in all kinds of weather. With water you will run about 20 deg. cooler than with anti-freeze. Then I add Water Wetter or Engine Ice, and Militec-1 (lubes waterpump and anti-corrosive). I beleive both water additives have anti corrosives and some lubrication properties but, I am not sure. I drain all the water, got a gallon on distilled water, filled the radiator, added additives, added water to overflow tank and ran the bikes around town. When I got back I check tank levels and topped off as needed. The Water Wetter and Engine Ice will also lower the engine temperature by about 20 degrees. I thought my fan wasn't working on either bike and checked everything out. When I heat up the temperature therocouple the fan kicked on. Even in the very hot summers down here, everything runs good. If for some reason the weather decides to get cold for a week, 30 deg or lower, just drain some water and add some anti-freeze.
Blaster

·
shock factor unrated
12,435 Posts
water or as long as it's a 50/50 pre mix and silicate free. my mechanic uses plain old advance pre mixed 50/50.

·
blaster
87 Posts
Coolant

Yeah, many people a stuck in that 50/50 mix scam. It is convenient and will take care of most everybodies needs. However, water is the superior coolant. Mix a little lubricant/preservative in it with some Water Wetter and I'm set for the year. Once you get into a routine on your maintenance, changing your oil type for the season, your coolant mix, etc., It's hard to take in the old ideas of yesterday. But, water has alway been and always will be a superior coolant. At least in San Antonio there is very little oportunity to need a mix since the winter weather is usually mild.
Blaster

·
blaster
87 Posts
You can get militec-1 at there web site militec1.com. You can get it in an array of bottle sizes. It is also a metal conditioner that I run in my engine and rear gears. For my cooling system I use 2 tablespoons of it. Militec-1 is an very good additive for many applications and motorcycles are one of those applications. I use 4 oz. at oil changes. If you have questions call them, the number is on there web page. Again this is a metal conditioner not an oil additive.
Blaster

1 - 10 of 10 Posts