Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a great deal on a Corbin Chin Spoiler for my X. However, I am having trouble mounting it up. The ebay listing only said that it was for a 1300. I wouldn't think that it would be different from a R/S to mounting on my 1300C. Before I take a dadgum dremel to it to make it fit, I was wondering if anyone else has had problems mounting the chin spoiler?

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You did not mention the problem you are having. Hard to help without knowing the problem.
I knew I was forgetting something. :banghead:
I do as the instructions say, but the bolt holes are not in the correct places for bolts to mount. Basically, when the chin spoiler is on the stud and held on by the acron nut, the bolt holes do not line up to reinstall the forward control bolt in figure 4 in the instruction Epi posted. It looks like it is off by a 1/4 to 1/2 inch. I'm about to take a dremel and take a make all 3 holes a little bigger. I don't know if I'm explaining it clearly. So when I get home from work, I will post a few pictures to illustrate what I'm taking about.

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have it mounted with the stud and acorn nut as in the first pic. But the other two holes on either side of the chin spoiler don't line up which is shown in the second pic. I was thinking about just widening all holes with a dremel. I was wondering if anyone who has a chin spoiler had the same problems?

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmmm, i'm not familiar with the part but if it's as simple as widening the hole and won't cause any harm then go for it.
That's what I figured. I guess that will be taken care of when I get off work in the morning.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Make sure you only have the acorn nut just started, not tight or firm.
It seems it was a tight fit. You need some movement to get it to align. If that doesn't work, get another set of hands and start the 2 lower bolts then the top.
If I remember correctly I had to do something on the bottom. Seems like I had to remove the plastic that covers the hose or something on the bottom to get it to align. The chin will cover/protect it.
It was 5 years ago so things are rather vague.
I know on the 1800 you have to remove the plastic shroud.

Isn't there a metal like washer bedded into the fiberglass?
dd

I remember now. I had to put the upper part of the chin on the stud on top but not start the acorn nut. Then start the 2 bottom bolts. Then the acorn nut.

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Isn't there a metal like washer bedded into the fiberglass?
dd

I remember now. I had to put the upper part of the chin on the stud on top but not start the acorn nut. Then start the 2 bottom bolts. Then the acorn nut.
All 3 mounting points are metal washers inbedded into the fiberglass. I was just going to take a carbide bit and my dremel to all holes and make them more of an oval shape rather than round. But first, I'm going to try how you got it mounted. Thanks DD!

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not yet. Spent the last week pulling down a house covered in wallpaper, puttying, sanding, priming, and painting. I will have some time to get to it later today. I will post my solution.

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I got it installed finally. I had to break out the dremel and widened the three mounting holes. I like it. The only problem is that the shade of red matches my headlight cowl. Both of which are the wrong shade of red. I was planning on repainting the headlight cowl, so I will just add the chin to the list. I think it will look great when they're painted. On the last picture, I really took 2 pictures and merged them together. The background in the last picture is a little jacked up but the bike looks good.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts