Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Keep er safe!! Joe
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to put a tach on the 1800 but would like to know if anyone has suggestions as to which one fits and looks the best on the VTX and of course cost.

Thanks.

Joe

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
There are lots of tachs for Hardleys, I am just not sure if they will also work on X's. Maybe some of our Cafe people know the answer. If they do/can work on X's, you would have a much better selection to choose from. Anyway, thats my 2 cents. :D

Bry

·
Reeling Jackwagon
2003 1300S
9,121 Posts
I have a Cobra tach. I don't know if this one will fit your bike though.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Barrons makes one that looks very good on a VTX. They run around 170.00$ Pretty easy to install excellent quality and finish. My 2 cent. D Day

·
A Texan
4,365 Posts
Thats great looking instruments, RJT. The tach can be mounted separately, right? :choppersm
Yes the Rivco Tach is a separate install from the Clock4bikes Clock and Thermometer. It does come installed in the chrome mounting plate that attaches using the bolt mounts for the bar clamps. This particular tach is 1800C specific. The unit on the left is the HealTech gear indicator.

·
Keep er safe!! Joe
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes the Rivco Tach is a separate install from the Clock4bikes Clock and Thermometer. It does come installed in the chrome mounting plate that attaches using the bolt mounts for the bar clamps. This particular tach is 1800C specific. The unit on the left is the HealTech gear indicator.

That looks great! :choppersm

Joe

·
A Texan
4,365 Posts
Barrons makes one that looks very good on a VTX. They run around 170.00$ Pretty easy to install excellent quality and finish. My 2 cent. D Day
I have long been considering that Baron's tach for the Shadow 750.

That is the --> 3" BULLET TACHOMETER - Black Face - 1" Clamp, correct ?

The whole unit, clamp and tach look quality in all of the pictures I have seen. Does that bear out in reality D Day ? Like the looks of yours.

Install is fairly straight forward ??

·
Registered
1,624 Posts

RJT, Mystro, thanks for the info. If i'm lucky i will get a tach for christmas, but i need to guide wifey in the right direction.:D
Bry:choppersm

·
Registered
424 Posts
That is the one that I bought and can be seen in the pic's I put up in my first reply. I have been very happy with it. Good cost for value, and the styling looks like it was designed for the VTX. I think you'll like it if you end buying that one. The chrome on mine is excellent, and casing is very heavily built and well sealed against the elements. Had help from a friend with the install and was done in under an hour. We hard wired mine into the harness so that it powers up after the kill switch is set in the run position. Just follow the directions and you should do fine with the install. One thing I noticed right off was the lack of issue with condinsation I've seen with cheaper tacks. That has got to be bad for the internals and at least would really annoy me on cold wet mornings. D Day
I have long been considering that Baron's tach for the Shadow 750.

That is the --> 3" BULLET TACHOMETER - Black Face - 1" Clamp, correct ?

The whole unit, clamp and tach look quality in all of the pictures I have seen. Does that bear out in reality D Day ? Like the looks of yours.

Install is fairly straight forward ??

·
Registered
882 Posts
I have the Barons 7 color and I love it. The colors realy help, the red for most riding and then the others for when i want to see it better.

I put the color switch under the right rear of the tank on the tank, power from the stock driver conection in the light bucket and hooked to the frount coil for tac pulse. 45 min. tops to install.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts