Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone.
Tragedy struck 2 days ago when I got caught in a summer storm and road through a huge puddle (1 foot deep). Somehow this cracked the motor (underneath, where the left and right side come together) and my mechanic is telling me I need a new motor. It’s a 2008 VTX 1800F with only 12k miles. It’s my first bike and I don’t want to part with it. Any advice on finding a used motor? Do you think it’s worth it? Most have 40k miles on them and who knows how well they run? I’d have to get someone to install it as well.

Either that or I find another used VTX 1800 (Full bike) and say goodbye to this one.

thanks for any advice you have.
Super bummed out.
-paul

·
Fastest Red Club Member
2007 VTX 1300R, Indianapolis
7,542 Posts
Sounds like more than a puddle.
Did you contact the ground with the motor?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not that I know of. Didn’t feel anything. The water was mid-boot. I suppose I could have hit something Just didn’t feel it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven’t seen it since it was towed to the shop. Mechanic said it IS the seam that’s cracked. Oil POURED out of it when I tried refilling it on the side of the road.

·
Fastest Red Club Member
7,542 Posts
Would say shop probably saw that known crack and freaked out.
Leaking oil is bad but that doesn't necessarily mean it's not repairable.

You would probably be better off finding another whole bike than trying to swap motors if it can't be repaired. If you having a shop do your work anyway then finding another bike is probably going to be cheaper IMO.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Figure out what is really wrong. I haven’t touched a VTX motor but swapping cases isn’t that difficult on most bikes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Would say shop probably saw that known crack and freaked out.
Leaking oil is bad but that doesn't necessarily mean it's not repairable.

You would probably be better off finding another whole bike than trying to swap motors if it can't be repaired. If you having a shop do your work anyway then finding another bike is probably going to be cheaper IMO.
I figure I will probably have to replace the bike too. Motors aren’t too expensive (4-600?) but no clue what someone would charge to install it. I’ll have to make some calls. Thx.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Figure out what is really wrong. I haven’t touched a VTX motor but swapping cases isn’t that difficult on most bikes.
Thx. I wish I could. Unfortunately I don’t have the knowledge, time, or equipment to try and figure this out on my own. I‘m considering towing it to another shop if I find someone that specializes in this kind of thing.

·
Registered
8,357 Posts
water will NOT crack the engine.... it's water cooled already.
to me., shop just wants your money.

I am a retired Honda dealership motorcycle mechanic

send it to another well known Honda dealership.

I own a 2005 "F".. and its been in water much deeper then that...
up to the foot pegs..
owned it 15 years and 92,600 miles and continuing
IMG_1242 (1152 x 864) by https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/,

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I figure I will probably have to replace the bike too. Motors aren’t too expensive (4-600?) but no clue what someone would charge to install it. I’ll have to make some calls. Thx.
Judging from automotive circles, Labor is usually 2-1/2 times the cost of materials.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just got back from the shop. There’s definitely a small gap in the front of the case where it comes together at the front. There is another at the rear of the case. Up past the oil filter. That is where it’s supposedly leaking. Mechanic said he stuck a 2” paint scraper 3” up into the seam and that’s where the oil was coming from. Also, he’s definitely not trying to sell me anything as he said he “might consider” swapping a motor for me over the winter if he had time. The water being the reason definitely seems fishy (no pun intended) but that was the only incident leading to the rapid loss of oil. If insurance pays out I think I’ll buy the bike back, pick up another used VTX, and try to swap the motors this winter. Bike is in too good of condition to scrap it.
I can hear the wife already... “and WHY do you need 2 of the same motorcycle????” ;-)

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Easy. Spare parts! Even if you don't need them right now. Confucius say: Better to have -it- and not need -it-, than to NEED -it- and not HAVE -it-!

Reactions: Preynoldva

·
Fastest Red Club Member
7,542 Posts
Gap in front is normal. See link in post #6.
Rear probably shouldn't have a gap.

Possible something blew up inside but that is a rare thing. Think only one post here with a motor going self destruct.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Okay, I just looked at my bike. It DOES have that casting gap above the oil filter. It also has a big one forward of the motor mount on top of the transmission. There are probably more that I can't see. (Bike is on the ground) There is a speed sensor bolted to the rear of the case sealed with an O-ring near that location. I have heard of a few of those leaking. The output shaft seal is also in that general area. Not to forget the oil filter. I've seen pin holes and bad gaskets squirt oil.. It is under pressure when running. Just have your guy check it out real close. He may even have to fill it with oil and actually watch it come out.
I've worked on cars for a long time. Oil leaks can really be a pain sometimes.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts