Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Just got back from the shop. There’s definitely a small gap in the front of the case where it comes together at the front. There is another at the rear of the case. Up past the oil filter. That is where it’s supposedly leaking. Mechanic said he stuck a 2” paint scraper 3” up into the seam and that’s where the oil was coming from. Also, he’s definitely not trying to sell me anything as he said he “might consider” swapping a motor for me over the winter if he had time. The water being the reason definitely seems fishy (no pun intended) but that was the only incident leading to the rapid loss of oil. If insurance pays out I think I’ll buy the bike back, pick up another used VTX, and try to swap the motors this winter. Bike is in too good of condition to scrap it.
I can hear the wife already... “and WHY do you need 2 of the same motorcycle????” ;-)
I know the motor is water cooled but could have been the shock of cold water hitting a hot engine. When you start the engine the water gradually heats up along wit the engine

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Omg.... I did NOT see that coming... ;-)
And no aftermarket air filter/turbocharger on the bike. It’s stock. Tonight I looked up front and I have 2 more rubber lines, leading down the front left side of the bike as well. Now I’m up to 3! Need to figure out which one is the breather then see if it’s plugged. I emptied the plastic “tube/catch” on the back of the filter. It was 1/3 full of oil but that’s probably normal. Thx for the seal joke. ;-)

·
There Can Only Be One
2,691 Posts
Omg.... I did NOT see that coming... ;-)
And no aftermarket air filter/turbocharger on the bike. It’s stock. Tonight I looked up front and I have 2 more rubber lines, leading down the front left side of the bike as well. Now I’m up to 3! Need to figure out which one is the breather then see if it’s plugged. I emptied the plastic “tube/catch” on the back of the filter. It was 1/3 full of oil but that’s probably normal. Thx for the seal joke. ;-)
The crankcase vent tube (hose) is attached to the front cylinder on the top on the left side of the bike...at least on the 1300 it is.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
The crankcase vent tube (hose) is attached to the front cylinder on the top on the left side of the bike...at least on the 1300 it is.
Yeah. I loosened the gas tank to try and get under it but still not enough clearance. I guess I’ll have to pull the tank completely to get to it. Thx!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey everyone.
Tragedy struck 2 days ago when I got caught in a summer storm and road through a huge puddle (1 foot deep). Somehow this cracked the motor (underneath, where the left and right side come together) and my mechanic is telling me I need a new motor. It’s a 2008 VTX 1800F with only 12k miles. It’s my first bike and I don’t want to part with it. Any advice on finding a used motor? Do you think it’s worth it? Most have 40k miles on them and who knows how well they run? I’d have to get someone to install it as well.

Either that or I find another used VTX 1800 (Full bike) and say goodbye to this one.

thanks for any advice you have.
Super bummed out.
-paul
I have seen a couple of those engines for sale on offerup ,let go and craigslist.i own a 2008 vtx1800f2 with 4k miles it, i imagine how difficult must this be for you, my advice is go for the engine replacement any vtx1800 should fit but if you find another vtx 1800F get it con not too many of those are seen around.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just got back from the shop. There’s definitely a small gap in the front of the case where it comes together at the front. There is another at the rear of the case. Up past the oil filter. That is where it’s supposedly leaking. Mechanic said he stuck a 2” paint scraper 3” up into the seam and that’s where the oil was coming from. Also, he’s definitely not trying to sell me anything as he said he “might consider” swapping a motor for me over the winter if he had time. The water being the reason definitely seems fishy (no pun intended) but that was the only incident leading to the rapid loss of oil. If insurance pays out I think I’ll buy the bike back, pick up another used VTX, and try to swap the motors this winter. Bike is in too good of condition to scrap it.
I can hear the wife already... “and WHY do you need 2 of the same motorcycle????” ;-)
Ha,ha, thats what my wife says to me as I have a 02 & an 07. Never hurts to have a back up. I wanted to do work on the 02 and didn't want to be down.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts