Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a 2007, VTX 1300C do you happen to know if the correct size for the Crampbuster is their 'standard' or their 'oversize'. Not to lazy to measure myself, this is for a friends bike that will be visiting and I don't have access to it now.

·
Registered
17,542 Posts
For a 2007, VTX 1300C do you happen to know if the correct size for the Crampbuster is their 'standard' or their 'oversize'. Not to lazy to measure myself, this is for a friends bike that will be visiting and I don't have access to it now.
For my 1800, I like the wider version. I also use 2 of the wide rubber bands for a little extra tension.

·
Tinkerer
1,799 Posts
What exactly is a Crampbuster?

·
Super Moderator
11,301 Posts
It is a plastic device that slides over the throttle. It goes near the outer edge of the throttle and when pressed down with the outer edge of the palm of the hand, it grips the throttle so that you can hold it in place with your palm thus allowing you to flex your fingers and relieve stress/cramps in the fingers. When not being pressed by the palm, it can rotate upwards to allow you to position it where desired.

If you have a throttle lock such as the excellent Brakeaway cruise control (not really a true cruise control but, rather, just a throttle position lock), a cramp buster is extraneous. In the absence of a throttle lock, a cramp buster or even a permanently mounted one like those that can go on the end of the Kuryakyn ISO grips can be helpful.

·
Tinkerer
1,799 Posts
Glasses Vision care Motor vehicle Eyewear Automotive lighting

Oh, I've got one of those. So it can be adjusted?

·
Super Moderator
11,301 Posts
The cramp buster is infinitely adjustable but not very attractive. Google it to see what it looks like. I think the item in your picture is called a "throttle boss" but I'm not sure about that. There are various models with different features. The ones I have installed in the past were slightly adjustable but I do not know if the specific model you have is adjustable. To adjust the ones I have installed, you remove the grip end cap (often by removing four small Allen bolts. Then, you can access the screws/bolts that hold the throttle boss on the end of the grip. The holes in the throttle boss are elongated into grooves so that, after loosening the bolts, the throttle boss can be moved slightly up or down. Then the bolts are tightened and the grip cap reinstalled.

So the throttle boss is adjustable but not "on the fly". You have to pick one position to which to adjust it and then lock it in place. I recommend setting it so that it is at a comfortable position at highway speeds as this is the most common environment where you hold the throttle at one position for extended periods of time. This will require some trial and error. Of course, all of this assumes that your model of throttle boss is adjustable. You won't know until you dig into it.

Reactions: LEGO

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have one of these for my avon grips. Just did a 12 hour trip from Ny to virginia beach a few weeks ago. I found that using just my thumb to apply pressure on it and my other fingers out in the air(extended straight and not touching anything ) worked best to rest up the hand. Did this about 2 or 3 times for a minute or two and it helped a lot. These are a great idea , but don't really work well for "cruise control" in my opinion. As a matter of fact, I fiind it hard to stay at one speed even in a car when there is traffic. Now they have the cars that do the driving for you though , so....
Maybe honda will come out with "adaptive cruise control" on the goldwing to start

·
Super Moderator
11,301 Posts
Yes, the Crampbuster is merely a sort of throttle lock. None of the throttle locks (even the fancy Brakeaway one) are true cruise controls. They hold the throttle at one position. Tiny things like passing or being passed influence the air resistance and will cause your speed to change when the throttle lock is engaged. Larger things like hills (up or down) and even highway overpasses or underpasses (tiny hills) will change your speed. It is possible to install an aftermarket true cruise control on a VTX but it is quite complex, involved, and expensive. My wife and I have moved to touring bikes with true cruise control that works just like a car (although not the fanciest "adaptive" type) and true cruise control is great to have.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts