Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,
While cleaning my VTX 1300 R, I noticed the crankcase breather hose was kinked. As this has happened before, I decided to look for a solution.
What I came up with, is something I like to share with you guys and I’m very curious about your comments!
I drilled a hole in my frame between the coil and the radiator cap. I stuck a nipple in the hole and welded it on. I cut the original breather hose to the desired lenght and connected it to the nipple.
Now my crankcase fumes are disposed of in my frame. So no more oil in my filter house and no more kinked hose in the future. All the extra oil will drip in my frame which, in my humble opinion, is a good thing.
Since this modification I’ve driven around 400 miles with my bike, and I have not noticed any problem.
So. Let me hear your comments. Do you think I’ve done something stupid or not?
CCBF2049-364A-46A6-BDA4-E468C481EED9.jpeg
en
D532E1D1-89FC-4BF3-B0CF-1F85B87FCFAE.jpeg
E94A0141-B77E-4D00-A18C-7E66831187A8.jpeg

·
Fastest Red Club Member
2007 VTX 1300R, Indianapolis
8,003 Posts
It's not just pushing out oil/fumes/etc. It also sucks in. I don't know where else there is an opening in the frame but you're letting unfiltered air directly into the crankcase.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I applaud your ingenuity, desire to work on and mod your own stuff.
But...
It does seem like in this instance you may have created a solution for a problem that does not exist.
At the very least maybe a little over engineered, wouldn't a piece of hard line/pipe/pipe fitting/elbow etc. in the part of your original line that was getting kinked solved the problem?
Regardless it is cool to see what people come up with (y)

·
Super Moderator
11,110 Posts
What if the oil is dripping onto your garage floor or the road in front of your rear tire? What if the frame is sealed and you build up pressure and blow your shift seal? While the crankcase breather hose can kink if not put back in place properly, it is easy to determine if this hose is passing air and to adjust it if it is not.

·
Registered
2009 VTX 1300R, Long Island NY
820 Posts
There is a lot of moisture other than just oil... You you are introducing water to the inside of your frame.

·
Super Moderator
11,110 Posts
The pair mod does not eliminate the crankcase breather hose.

·
There Can Only Be One
2,745 Posts
Guys,
While cleaning my VTX 1300 R, I noticed the crankcase breather hose was kinked. As this has happened before, I decided to look for a solution.
What I came up with, is something I like to share with you guys and I’m very curious about your comments!
I drilled a hole in my frame between the coil and the radiator cap. I stuck a nipple in the hole and welded it on. I cut the original breather hose to the desired lenght and connected it to the nipple.
Now my crankcase fumes are disposed of in my frame. So no more oil in my filter house and no more kinked hose in the future. All the extra oil will drip in my frame which, in my humble opinion, is a good thing.
Since this modification I’ve driven around 400 miles with my bike, and I have not noticed any problem.
So. Let me hear your comments. Do you think I’ve done something stupid or not?
Personally, I wouldn't want all that gunk going into my frame.

·
Fastest Red Club Member
2007 VTX 1300R, Indianapolis
8,003 Posts
More reasons not to do this than to do it. Not our bikes though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts