Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok anyone have a place i can get or look for the front crash bar or engine guard for a 04 Honda vtx 1300C i cant seem to find anything that doesnt cost a arm and a leg or that fits the bike thanks

·
Registered
16,036 Posts
As mentioned, the Cobra Fatty is a great choice for the 1300. Make sure it fits your year and model. Fatty is inch-and-a-half, where some others are only 1-1/4. Wish the fatty was made for my 1800 C, but I settled for and have really liked my 2 pc. National Cycle Paladin's. Some things you can't go cheap, and engine guard (crash bar) is one of them.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thx but as I said I was looking for something reasonable that won't cost an arm and a leg because on my budget I can't afford anything right now at the moment but hopefully I will once everything is caught up but thanks for the info

·
Super Moderator
9,673 Posts
"Reasonable" is in the eye of the spender. What is your upper limit price you are willing to spend?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ok anyone have a place i can get or look for the front crash bar or engine guard for a 04 Honda vtx 1300C i cant seem to find anything that doesnt cost a arm and a leg or that fits the bike thanks
I haven't purchased then in a long while, but I have the Cobra Engine Guards (If they still make them for my 03 1800 Retro and I swear bu them. I did go down at one point and those guards allowed me to push the bike away from me and my feet so nothing got broken. Style is one thing but protection is what I want with them. For what it is worth I highly recommend the Cobra's. If your looking at other brands, I would suggest then you get guards that are a single piece from the left to the right side as they are stronger. I remember years back where people using the guards that were one piece on each side complained how when then went down the highway bar on the side closest to the ground just broke off.. I actually have a second Cobra highway bar but am not selling :)

As was said above, when your looking at price please try to determine what you are worth.... Ride Safe

·
Registered
24 Posts
Crash bars are going to be a lot less expensive verses laying it down and having to replace floor boards Shifteror break pedal and side plates and posdibly tearing up the motor.
Sometimes you just have to pull the trigger.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Admins or mods please remove this link for i researched this site and found it is a scam site.
If it sounds too good to be true it probably is too good to be true.
My apoligys for posting the link.

·
Registered
8 Posts
there's all kinds of accessories out there for these bikes, as far as the price that's just the nature of the Beast

·
Registered
17 Posts
No pics yet, but I have two OEN air intakes for a VTX1800 (might fit the 1300 also but not sure about that). If interested, let me know and I will take pics.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I recently got National Paladins for my 1300s as I felt the Cobra fatties were a little too "fat". I paid about $225 for them. I haven't had to test them but they seem like good quality.
I recently got National Paladins for my 1300s as I felt the Cobra fatties were a little too "fat". I paid about $225 for them. I haven't had to test them but they seem like good quality.
If I remember correctly the Paladins are two separate pieces one for the left side and one for the right side of the bike. I do remember seeing someone years back go down on their bike with these on and the side hitting the road just collapsed as it could not handle the the pressure hitting the ground and the force moving forward. So please check them out and be careful....

·
Registered
33 Posts
If I remember correctly the Paladins are two separate pieces one for the left side and one for the right side of the bike. I do remember seeing someone years back go down on their bike with these on and the side hitting the road just collapsed as it could not handle the the pressure hitting the ground and the force moving forward. So please check them out and be careful....
They're well made heavy gauge steel and came highly recommended so I'm not concerned. I'm not sure how being one piece would necessarily make them stronger unless you consider the frame to be the weak point. Even if that's the case I'm sure the one piece bars connect to the frame as well?

·
Registered
16,036 Posts
They're well made heavy gauge steel and came highly recommended so I'm not concerned. I'm not sure how being one piece would necessarily make them stronger unless you consider the frame to be the weak point. Even if that's the case I'm sure the one piece bars connect to the frame as well?
[/QUOTE The one piece bars usually connect to the top radiator bolt, and probably somewhere lower as well. Some, like the Lindby, look cool, but have been known to as some have put it, to fold up in a crash situation like a lawn chair. Decide which offers the best protection for your legs & feet, and to protect the bike too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well there are different ways to look at this. The Cobra Fatty Bars are near the radiator, but they are not connected to the radiator but rather are connected to the frame of the bike in three places so they are more integrated with the bike. FOR ME, I went down on my X about 14 years ago with the COBRA bars and they acted perfectly. They held the bike off my leg and I was able to push the bike away from me as we were sliding down the road. No broken leg and no broken angle. So for me, I would only use Cobra's.

In the end we each get what we are comfortable with.

·
Registered
33 Posts
In the end we each get what we are comfortable with.
True that. And I agree it's not an area that you want to be cheap with. In my case I didn't like that the Cobra's stuck so far out. I'm sure they offer better protection because of that but I didn't like the aesthetics and I was worried about them dragging in the twisties.

·
Registered
17 Posts
True that. And I agree it's not an area that you want to be cheap with. In my case I didn't like that the Cobra's stuck so far out. I'm sure they offer better protection because of that but I didn't like the aesthetics and I was worried about them dragging in the twisties.
This is cool. We sort of agree and also in areas disagree. If I were going for style, there were a set of highway bars (sorry but I forgot their name), that I thought were really cool looking on the bike but and this was back 17 years ago they did not have as good a rating as the Cobra's from people who had gone down.

We all want our bikes with chrome and looking great - that is just part of who we are - and that will not change....

We all have different needs that go into our choices....For me, I am not as interested in going triple digits as in the ride - and the longer the better. In the twisties, well I do not need to lean maybe as much as others do or take them as fast. What I do want is that with Highway bars if/when I go down, I want to be protected. So when I did go down, the Cobra's as they extend further out did keep the bike off my leg and nothing was broken. Past my not getting hurt, the Cobra's being further out (I will ASSUME) also protected the bike. While I was not damaged too badly (just some road rash on my arm and a bruised ego), the damage to the bike was:
1. The cobra bars on the side that went down were ripped up,
2. The light on the light bar on that side of the bike was scraped - but I was ready to replace them with something nicer.
3. I have the hard Corbin Beetle Bags and the one on the right side had some road rash also. This was not too bad as when I had them fixed, I also had some dragons custom painted on the bags... :)

Without the bars, the damage to my body and the bike would have been a lot worse.

I cannot say that other bars that do not stick out as much as the Cobra's would have given me the same or less protection. Maybe it is that I am over 70 (not OLD but OLDER) and I have learned that I am not indestructible. :) My focus is to enjoy the ride, enjoy the company and refresh my sole as I am doing that. It is not how fast I can get there, but how many miles it will take - and the longer the better.

As an aside, I wear a full face helmet and again about 13 years ago I was rear ended and again went down. The helmet protected the right side of my face from being destroyed - the helmet was destroyed... So I love the ride but don't need the daring......

Good luck to all and be safe.....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts