Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

This is a bit long, I apologize. A couple weeks ago, I was riding to work and the bike shut off. Was dripping gas out of the air cleaner. Would run, but only 1/4 throttle or above. I limped it a couple miles home.

I tore it apart, and replaced the needle/seat with an All Balls racing one from the kit. New gasket, etc. I decided, given mine is a 2003, this would be a good opportunity to ditch the fuel pump, because there are countless threads of them failing and leaving people stranded. So I bought a new 3/8" fuel line, took one of the thin heat shields off the other lines and ran it from the petcock, across the top of the motor to the carb inlet. Used about 14" of fuel line. I'm a little worried about the fuel flow when I get down to reserve level, but we'll see.

Well I took it for a ride, it was fine for about 10 minutes, then it started cutting out and actually died. I was doing about 70mph, when I pulled the clutch in, it died, I let it out, and obviously it would bump start again. I pulled over, and all I could find was the vent hose from the right side of the tank was unplugged. I plugged it back in and decided I'd try and limp it home (about 10 miles). It ran fine. So I then went for broke, got back on the highway for 10/15 miles and kept the rpms up (trying to burn fuel in case the bowl was going dry). Never hiccuped.This is running like 85 in 4th gear.

There is about a mile long steep grade and I went Wide Open in 5th from before the hill through the top, and it did it again. Somewhere around 105/110 indicated it feels like I'm out of fuel and need to switch to reserve. So I went back home and replaced the store rubber line (reasonably soft) with a hard rubber factory line. It's better. At about the same 5/6 seconds of WOT it sputters a little, like a hiccup or two, and if I let off and get back on it, it seems okay. Seems to be an issue only in 5th gear. Maybe that's because I can't hold the throttle open for 5 seconds in any other gear without provoking the limiter(which I haven't actually hit yet).

So I took the line off the petcock the other night and put another line onto it, into a bucket, the flow is fine. There is no discernible difference between the flow rate from RES vs ON. There's a nice solid, heavy stream of gas flow.

When the fuel level gets lowers, approx 1.4/1.5 gallons, sure, it flows a little slower, but it's still a solid stream.

So I think I've ruled out the petcock screen as far as a culprit. I don't have a big enough Metric open end wrench to get it out (my set stops at 20mm) so I also put a mechanic scope into the drained tank and looked, and the filter is white, and there is no sign of rust/heavy corrosion.

Obviously the scope can't pick up on debris, but the flow rate shows there's not a big clog.

I can't honestly say if this was happening when I had the fuel pump attached or not, it only happens when I run WOT in 5th. I'm guessing it didn't, but if the 2004+ bikes didn't have a fuel pump, there has to be a fuel delivery issue here. I can't see the vacuum actuated petcock helping with this, as that creates a hole for the fuel, it doesn't aid in the fuel coming through. But the line runs direct from the petcock, across the top of the engine, right to the carb. It's not pinched or restricted anywhere. I've checked, there's no fuel filter/strainer in the inlet to the carb.

There seem to be quite a few threads from back in the day about this happening. Bikes bucking, sputtering, or dying out at WOT Was there ever a mainstream fix?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can remove the petcock using a 430 Channel Lock pliers (They are Metric and SAE!!! ? ?). That nut is not very tight in fact of you over tighten it you could break it.
I didn't want to gouge up the nut on the petcock. I figured channel locks would do that,

At the speed you are reporting you may be running into the rev limiter and not running out of fuel.
The rev limiter wouldn't shut the bike off if I pull in the clutch. The bike has got to be able to do more than 105/110 indicated on the speedo....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That I wouldn't know since that is faster than my particular Angel can fly!!!!! :eek:
Agreed. And again, I'm not expecting the bike to go faster. I'm not trying to make it do so. I have a super sport bike, and this is a comfortable cruiser to ride 2 up and enjoy the weather.

But I find it hard to believe the carb/fuel flow could be consumed faster than it's replenished without there being a problem.

I suppose the vent could be clogged. The hose is nice and tight on the nipple on the back of the tank (right side underneath).

I suppose I could blow into that and make sure it's venting properly.

The gas lid doesn't appear to be vented, but I thought that made sense, maybe without the fuel pump I'm creating vapor lock in the tank?

·
Registered
2007 1300C
453 Posts
The VTX 1300 is only rated to about 110-115mph per Honda, some have pulled a little more, some a little less. The speedometer is anywhere from 7-11% off(most are about 10%) With the gearing of these bikes, I doubt you would ever reach rev limiter in 5th gear without engine mods.

·
Super Moderator
9,921 Posts
I do not think that hitting the rev limiter shuts the bike off. It causes the power from the engine to drastically decrease (like you slammed the throttle all the say closed) but the bike engine is still running. There are some tests that are done when tuning the carb wherein you run the bike to the rev limiter and the bike does not shut off.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After the last two responses, it's pretty clear then that I'm not hitting the limiter.

So, why is it I can roll the throttle open in 5th for 5/6 seconds and the bike can drain the carb bowl and not be replenished from the tank?

Does anyone else in a 2004+ have this problem currently? Again, I don't know if this happened on my 2003 when I had the fuel pump attached, and maybe it's an issue I won't really ever see in the real world. The VTX isn't a bike I'm land racing, I'm really just trying to see if there's a problem happening here that's going to get worse.

·
Super Moderator
9,921 Posts
My apology if you already examined this and mentioned it but there is a fuel filter at the fuel inlet to the carb. It is inside the metal nipple to which the fuel supply hose attaches. Could this be clogged?

·
Super Moderator
5,455 Posts
I didn't want to gouge up the nut on the petcock. I figured channel locks would do that.

I have removed the petcock once and loosened the nut once to be able to spin the petcock around backwards to remove the diaphragm and check it for cracks (I did this in a Pilot Truck Stop in Arkansas in a pouring rain storm)!!! You Just have to adjust the jaws correctly and not let it slip as you turn it!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
5,455 Posts
Another thing comes to mind, one of our other members was having a similar problem. He cleaned his battery terminals and cables and tightened the bolts with a ratchet and socket and reported his problem solved. Easy to do and you never know, low voltage has been known to cause all kinds of problems!!!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My apology if you already examined this and mentioned it but there is a fuel filter at the fuel inlet to the carb. It is inside the metal nipple to which the fuel supply hose attaches. Could this be clogged?

Mine doesn't have one. The 2003 originally came with a fuel pump and in line filter (similar to that of a carb'd car), it was under the seat).

Another thing comes to mind, one of our other members was having a similar problem. He cleaned his battery terminals and cables and tightened the bolts with a ratchet and socket and reported his problem solved. Easy to do and you never know, low voltage has been known to cause all kinds of problems!!!!
It doesn't hurt. I'm going to blow compressed air up the vent tube hole tonight, I'll try this too. IT can't hurt. Thanks!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Welcome Back Everyone!

The Saga Continues. so I wanted to bump this thread.

I started the bike up and ran it, and it runs fine around town. I always felt the VTX needed a little "feathering" from a stop to get moving in first, but otherwise it runs good.

With the current state of the world, there isn't much traffic on the road, I got into on the highway, and pretty consistently at 100/105mph the bike cuts out. If I let off, it "catches" up pretty quick. And then runs okay. After I got it to do it 3/4 times, I continued the remaining few miles to my exit at 80/85 and it was fine.

It initially happened in 5th. A few seconds later, I decided to kick it down into 4th, and at 105 it did it again. So whatever it is, it's not RPM related.

It seems like it's gas related. I hate to do it, but I'm tempted to re-connect the fuel pump and leave the bike the way it was.

As previously mentioned, I did check the battery connections, and I cleaned them. Everything was tight and no signs of corrosion. I checked the connections at the coil ( someone else mentioned this) and everything is tight and secure.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts