Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I can report if you ever thought of going darkside it is a two minute adjustment. I am running a Yokohama Enviger. It does really fill up the fender but no clearance issues. The snow may pack up in the fender fast though. I fuigure it steals about 1 or 2 mile per gallon. The slow handling it want to track with the uneven pavement. What I like the most is the help it gives for balance at the stop signs when I have the wife and the bags loaded. The handling is just a hair slower to respond then a bike tire. I run a lot of flat straight road here so I am looking forward to the long life. The ride is a bit softer. I will not go back and the gains are like 6 to 1. The only one that would give me some concern before I had the tire put on the rimm the sidewalls are pretty thin and soft. If this tire blows you will be in the rim in seconds. A bike tire will stand up better in a failure. The corners of the tire took about 500 miles before they started to really stick on tight cornering. I can only speak to the enviger and it is an awesome darkside tire with the rounded edges. I just gave it a 5 day 2500 mile beating and it did great. Lots of twisting in PA and I had full confidence.
The only question now will be how often will I have to take the tire off to grease the spline? Once a year or every other year?

·
Registered
877 Posts
Every 8k miles on the splines. Probably safe to just do it once a year if you ride less then that.

·
Premium Member
2,476 Posts
I remove mine to grease the splines every 10k miles. I'm coming up on 30k on my GYTT. This time I'm going to swap the tire and am going to the Envigor. I'm hoping that the rounded profile will improve the low speed handling. That's my only darkside complaint.

Ride Safe :choppersm

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Every 8K miles?...I should have asked the shop that mounted my tire if they greased them...I coming up to 6k since the tire change.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Hi Steel,
That was an excellent assessment of the dark side experiance. Thanks for this informative post.

What is a spline? You take the tire off every 8k to grease something? Thank you for your answer.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
The splined shaft with connects the rear wheel to the final drive. The splined connections requires the right Moly Grease (>= 60%) at 8,000 mile intervals according to the service manual.

·
Reality Check Bounced
444 Posts
Got about the same mileage on my tire and won't go back to a MC tire. I most like the stopping on a dime, and the handling is just as good as it always was, rubbing pegs and all.

·
No Reason To Be Serious
16,394 Posts
I'm at 2000 miles on my MHE and loving ever minute of it...

Not going back...nope....:nope:

Spoiler

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Hi Steel,
What is a spline? You take the tire off every 8k to grease something? Thank you for your answer.
I too am curious about greasing the spline,please advise
When you remove the rear wheel you'll see the splines on the differential and on the rim, here's a pic of what they look like on the rim (the diff side looks about the same)

·
Sarge
643 Posts
When you remove the rear wheel you'll see the splines on the differential and on the rim, here's a pic of what they look like on the rim (the diff side looks about the same)

Hey Doug! Thanks for the pics!! VERY helpful!!!:mosh:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey I live in Tyler and also a member of the PGR... maybe we will meet up some day. I just bought my 1800r the end of may and made a trip to south dakota and devils tower. we covered 8 states in 8 days but went thru 2 of them twice (OK, KS).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts