Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
So long people
63 Posts
so, is your bike black?

Are you going to black out other chrome parts? V-Twin magazine just ran a feature on a Road Star that was blacked out. Pretty nice except for the new Euro style alien headlight, and the wrapped pipes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the picture. I think I love it..... My bike is white with a leather tank cover and mustang seat. I also have black saddlebags. I think dulling down a little of the "chrome" would be a good idea.

Yours looks like it came out very well? Just spray paint? Any tips before I dive into it?

Thanks
Matt

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Hey Matt,

I had sanded the chrome slightly to rough it up so that the paint would stick and hopefully stay on, which is what is what someone on the OB recommended. I had no issues with the paint coming off. If you sand the chrome, then you can't go back to original unless you buy a new console. I also added in 2 chrome auxiliary switches to the console which I epoxied nuts on the underside to mount the switches to.

Regards,
Mike

·
Senior Moments
517 Posts
Welcome to the Cafe snarebox. It just doesn't seem right, painting over chrome like that :( . But then I am a proud member of CAA ChromAholics Anonymous.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I get you. I'm certainly not as chrome crazy as many on here. For 30 bucks I can buy another new one if needed.

Still haven't done it but will post a pick when/if I do.

Thanks

·
WTF, Over!
8,423 Posts
Being as I have a Black bike with the whole Black/Chrome motif, I wouldn't as such like it on my ride, but I think the paint job looks great, and it would look good on the white pearl and other color bikes, especially if one was to "Night Train" the entire chrome package (and maybe white out the wheels with powder coat).

·
daily rider
220 Posts
I had my dashboard off during a tank removal and now get vibration from the plastic during acceleration.
I think I'm going to take it bak off and paint it black, the picture looks great, any thoughts on solving my vibration while i'm at it?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts