Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd share ...

So I bought this Daymaker Adaptive Headlight from www.vtxdaymaker.com about a month ago ... but just had time to install it. The person at vtxdaymaker.com (Shawn) was very helpful. I had both web chat (via their website) and email conversations with him. Apparently, the adaptive light kit has different dimensions so the standard bracket for the non-adaptive headlight does not fit. They created a custom bracket at no extra charge (3D printed). It feels solid and fits the headlight perfectly ... no play.

Some pics:

Headlight still in box

Technology Electronic device

Text Document Font Paper Paper product

Tire Gauge Auto part Automotive tire Rim

Auto part Technology Cable Electronic device Wire

Auto part Automotive wheel system Rim Wheel

For installation ... there are 3 screws to remove (next 3 pics show the screws)

Auto part Automotive lighting Technology Electronic device

Auto part

Auto part

Once the 3 screws are out, the frame holding the reflector and bulb comes right off

Auto part Metal

To install the daymaker, you just use the brackets, 2 supplied washers and screws. Just to be sure, I tested the screws in the existing headlight rim first.

Oh ... I decided to spray paint the outer bracket red !!!

Auto part Rim Automotive lighting Spoke Wheel

Adaptive headlight installed. The 3 screws to the side are the original screws for the frame and reflector housing.

Auto part

The LEDs marked by the yellow stars are the adaptive lights. They turn on one by one starting from the lowest LED and progress as the bike leans more. Also, when you first turn on the light, they come on sequentially. Guessing it is doing some test.

The middle LED (2 vertical lenses) is the low beam. The two bottom side round LEDs are the high beam. I think the bottom middle led and the curved led about the screw on the top are the daytime running LEDs. There is an extra wire (white) that I did not connect.

Gauge Measuring instrument Auto part Tachometer Rim

Headlamp Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Light

I'm not much of a night rider ... but I did try it out a couple of times. There are no aim adjustments but I've not had anyone flash their lights at me.

They do have a new bracket which allows you to aim your lights now (https://www.vtxdaymaker.com/blog/the-adjustable-bracket).

In the pics below ... the tree trunk is 72 ft from my bike.

Night Water Lighting Darkness Grass

Night Grass

Green Light Night Grass Tree

Well ... hope you guys find this useful.

·
~ High-Finesse Hooligan ~
11,589 Posts
Thought I'd share ...

So I bought this Daymaker Adaptive Headlight from www.vtxdaymaker.com about a month ago ... but just had time to install it. The person at vtxdaymaker.com (Shawn) was very helpful. I had both web chat (via their website) and email conversations with him. Apparently, the adaptive light kit has different dimensions so the standard bracket for the non-adaptive headlight does not fit. They created a custom bracket at no extra charge (3D printed). It feels solid and fits the headlight perfectly ... no play.

Some pics:

Headlight still in box

View attachment 193445

View attachment 193447

View attachment 193449

View attachment 193451

View attachment 193453

For installation ... there are 3 screws to remove (next 3 pics show the screws)

View attachment 193455

View attachment 193457

View attachment 193459

Once the 3 screws are out, the frame holding the reflector and bulb comes right off

View attachment 193461

To install the daymaker, you just use the brackets, 2 supplied washers and screws. Just to be sure, I tested the screws in the existing headlight rim first.

Oh ... I decided to spray paint the outer bracket red !!!

View attachment 193463

Adaptive headlight installed. The 3 screws to the side are the original screws for the frame and reflector housing.

View attachment 193465

The LEDs marked by the yellow stars are the adaptive lights. They come one by one starting from the lowest LED and progress as the bike leans more. Also, when you first turn on the light, they come on sequentially. Guessing it is doing some test.

The middle LED (2 vertical lenses) is the low beam. The two bottom side round LEDs are the high beam. I think the bottom middle led and the curved led about the screw on the top are the daytime running LEDs. There is an extra wire (white) that I did not connect.

View attachment 193469

View attachment 193471

I'm not much of a night rider ... but I did try it out a couple of times. There are no aim adjustments but I've not had anyone flash their lights at me.

They do have a new bracket which allows you to aim your lights now (https://www.vtxdaymaker.com/blog/the-adjustable-bracket).

In the pics below ... the tree trunk is 72 ft from my bike.

View attachment 193473

View attachment 193475

View attachment 193477

Well ... hope you guys find this useful.

Pure excellence in this post! :47b20s0: Thank you! :mosh:

·
Registered
17,697 Posts
Great pix, installation instructions......but inquiring minds want to know......how much?

·
Deplorable member
7,414 Posts
Me thinks me knows what Santa needs to bring this year for "El Scootero".:16:

Reactions: PaXman11

·
Registered
9 Posts
i wonder will it work with a headlight strobe?

·
Registered
2009 VTX 1300R, Long Island NY
898 Posts
i wonder will it work with a headlight strobe?
People seem to suggest that LEDs shouldn't be used with strobe. I have no personal knowledge on the subject.

I have Shawn's adjustable bracket with the black E kit.

Shawn either has or soon will have as a kit out for the 1300/1800 F models... I saw a popup on Facebook. Last I talked to him it was his highest priority. It is great to have a manufacture developing new products for a bike that hasn't been produced in 10 years. I could never go back to a factory headlight...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts