Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep, that's what I was told at a Honda dealer today.

Got a bike coming in for pre-trip service tomorrow and I noticed I was a little low on Dri-Slide, a graphite lube I've used for cables for over 30 years and have bought from dealers in four states.

Got on the phone to call two of three separate dealers and, of course, they never heard of Dri-Slide. OK, doesn't make me happy, but what else you got?

First dealer says he has some silicone spray. Well, screw that. I can get cheap spray at Walmart. Second dealer says he doesn't really have anything on hand. Well, ain't that interesting?

Third dealer, I decided to just ride over. Really need to get some lube.

That third one takes the cake. "Why do ya want a cable lube? Nobody lubes cables."

Say what? This was a bloomin' Honda dealer.

I made comment that after a lifetime of NOT having to replace my cables that lubing them seemed like a real good idea. Then the guy that was the service manager offers to sell me a 1/3 full can of aerosol foaming chain lube for $8.

I just shook my head and walked out.

This is almost unbelievable but true. A lot of us bad mouth dealers a lot and it's stuff like this that really tells the tale.

On the way home I swung into an O'Rielly's to see what they might have.

Seems Seafoam also makes a cleaner/lube. Little pricey, maybe, at $11, but I bought a can. Gonna try it on my bike this evening.

Anyway, that's my gripe fer today.

Wren

·
Registered
875 Posts
Yep, that's what I was told at a Honda dealer today.

Got a bike coming in for pre-trip service tomorrow and I noticed I was a little low on Dri-Slide, a graphite lube I've used for cables for over 30 years and have bought from dealers in four states.

Got on the phone to call two of three separate dealers and, of course, they never heard of Dri-Slide. OK, doesn't make me happy, but what else you got?

First dealer says he has some silicone spray. Well, screw that. I can get cheap spray at Walmart. Second dealer says he doesn't really have anything on hand. Well, ain't that interesting?

Third dealer, I decided to just ride over. Really need to get some lube.

That third one takes the cake. "Why do ya want a cable lube? Nobody lubes cables."

Say what? This was a bloomin' Honda dealer.

I made comment that after a lifetime of NOT having to replace my cables that lubing them seemed like a real good idea. Then the guy that was the service manager offers to sell me a 1/3 full can of aerosol foaming chain lube for $8.

I just shook my head and walked out.

This is almost unbelievable but true. A lot of us bad mouth dealers a lot and it's stuff like this that really tells the tale.

On the way home I swung into an O'Rielly's to see what they might have.

Seems Seafoam also makes a cleaner/lube. Little pricey, maybe, at $11, but I bought a can. Gonna try it on my bike this evening.

Anyway, that's my gripe fer today.

Wren
Dealers are brain dead some times LOL .Let us know how the seafoam lube works.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Tri-Flow silicone spray, got it from the Polaris dealer specifically for doing the cables on our snowmachines...
and Yes, it works great!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Tri-Flow silicone spray, got it from the Polaris dealer specifically for doing the cables on our snowmachines...
and Yes, it works great!
I use the same thing. Haven't had any issues so far. :cheers:

·
Registered
528 Posts
I use light sewing machine oil and one of the Motion Pro cable lubers.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
7,114 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
I had trouble finding cable lube myself. I went with Maxima racing oil's product #74920 which is a chain & cable lube called chain wax. I use a cable lube tool like the one in the above pic. I purchased both at Cycle Gear. this stuff works well and isn't as messy as some of the graphite lubes I have used in the past. Several members have had clutch cables break so servicing them is a very good practice.

·
Equito Passim
9,148 Posts
I just got Steel Braded Motion Pro Cables instead... Ill keep the stockers as a "oh shit" set.

-Gonz

·
Reeling Jackwagon
2003 1300S
9,234 Posts
Barnett's cables are Teflon coated and according to them, only need lubricated on the ends. The stuff they give you is silicon based and the slickest stuff I've ever seen.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I use PJ1 that I got from Motion Pro, but any cable specific lube is better than none. Graphite gunked up and made things worse. Also tried the "tool"...it sucked big time. Worthless. You have to take the cables out of the housing to use it anyway. I just spray the lube down the cable while in the housing.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, gave the Seafoam Deep Creep its trial run today. According to the label it does everything except annoint yer firstborn.

For the throttle cables I just opened the the throttle housing, sprayed it in the cupped area where the cables come in and worked the throttle. It drained down quick. Shot it a few times to saturate the innersleeve. Man, did it wash the gunk out at the carb end.

For the clutch cable I just unhooked top and bottom, made a little cup out of rubber and wrapped around the top of the cable making a cup. Sprayed into the cup and worked the cable. Again, drained down quick and the ook just started pouring out of the bottom of the cable. Shot it four or five times and then just let the cable hang from the bike to drain off.

After about ten minutes I grabbed the cable at the top, pulled up and let go and the cable just fell right into the housing. Slicker'n hot butter. We kinda horsed with it fer a few watching that cable just drop everytime one of us pulled it up.

Don't know about lubrication longevity yet but was sure interesting seeing how it cleaned and let the cable slip like that.

Did the shifter linkage with it while we were at it.

When the bike was put all back together from all the work done the bike throttled, shifted and clutched smooooooth. Now to see if it lasts.

Wren

Barnett's cables are Teflon coated and according to them, only need lubricated on the ends.
Personally, I have a problem with that idea about only doing the ends. The grit and **** that builds up inside the cable housing is like a cancer.

Regardless of what Barnett may say I'm still thinking an occasional flushing is a good thing.

Wren

·
Registered
419 Posts
I use that same stuff in the green bottle. But, I bought my tool at Harbor Freight. It cost half as much as the one at cycle gear. It also has two screws making it twice as awesome as the silly single screw model they carry. :icon_boog

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
I'm with Fuman on this.....I'd never thought about a cable lube schedule. From the sounds of it, I may need to consider giving it a shot.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts