Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up an F2 last month and my dealer said to bring it back at 600 miles for it's first check up/oil change. My manual shows 4,000 for the first one. Is the dealer trying to get service $ out of me? When should I really do the first oil change (which I'll do myself) and is there a need for a "dealer check up"?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just found a couple threads and found some answers. I thought I searched for this before and didn't find anything so I thought I'd post. Oh well...

·
Equito Passim
9,148 Posts
Rog is right... 1300 is 600mi... 1800 is 4,000mi

-Gonz

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
When I picked up my 1800 about three weeks ago the salesman said I should change the oil at about 400 miles. He said it would be a good idea to change all fluids(except brakes) so any debris left over from production or bits of metal from break in would be out of the system. He said the book will tell you different, but changing early is probably the best thing you can do on a new bike. He then said to have the valves checked and adjusted if needed at 3k-4k. He advised I trailer the bike to a qualified mechanic for the valve adjustment so the motor would be cold. After that, just normal maintenance. He did say that the valves aren't that hard to do, but might want to let a pro have first whack at it. Sounded like good advice to me and he never did say I had to take it to a dealer. Probably apply to all bikes regardless of make or size, I think. :hmm2:

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
When I picked up my 1800 about three weeks ago the salesman said I should change the oil at about 400 miles. He said it would be a good idea to change all fluids(except brakes) so any debris left over from production or bits of metal from break in would be out of the system. He said the book will tell you different, but changing early is probably the best thing you can do on a new bike. He then said to have the valves checked and adjusted if needed at 3k-4k. He advised I trailer the bike to a qualified mechanic for the valve adjustment so the motor would be cold. After that, just normal maintenance. He did say that the valves aren't that hard to do, but might want to let a pro have first whack at it. Sounded like good advice to me and he never did say I had to take it to a dealer. Probably apply to all bikes regardless of make or size, I think. :hmm2:
He is a good salesman... It can't hurt to do the oil and final drive at 400-600 .... like the 1300 spec. And you do want the valves cold so drop it off the night before or trailer it. I like that guy! If you do the fluids and filter yourself it's about $30

·
2,807 Posts
i changed oil at 600mi just to get old junk out of there, may not have been needed but made me feel better. Oil is cheep....your call!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the input guys. I've spent alot of time reading this forum before I bought the X and it's part of why I'm happy I did. Not that I don't trust dealers but you can't beat consumer input.

I'm doing the oil change this weekend and also thought I'd check the air filter tonight to see if all looks well and here's what I found. I've seen this in another thread but can't find it now and want to know... WTF? It's not a rat's nest but what is it?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rat,, no,,,

His smaller cousin,, El Mouse,,

YEP!!!!

Dude, I'm so disgusted right now. When I first saw it in the dim light of the garage, I assumed it was some kind of loose packing or deterioration of the paper filter of some kind. When I looked at the pictures closer after I posted, I could see the mice turds. I just went out and looked at it again and it's obvious what it is. How could I be so niave. Now I don't trust my dealer. I'm so pissed. I'm going to send the pics to the dealer and see how they respond. Hopefully they come through but still, this should've been caught when they prepped the bike for my pick up.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
It would make anyone feel pizzed on a new bike,,,

or a used bike,,,

BUT, you have had the bike for a month,,,

Any mice where you store the X????

It don't take long for the little buggers to stake a claim and set up home,,,

Looks like stuffin from a coat or a chair in the breather.... Anything like that in the garage???

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It would make anyone feel pizzed on a new bike,,,

or a used bike,,,

BUT, you have had the bike for a month,,,

Any mice where you store the X????

It don't take long for the little buggers to stake a claim and set up home,,,

Looks like stuffin from a coat or a chair in the breather.... Anything like that in the garage???
Not a chance it was from my garage. It's cleaned out and sweeped every other week and we've been here for two years and never seen a trace of a mice. No other items stored here, just 3 bikes and a car and a beer fridge. :)

Dealer emailed back said they would take care of the air cleaner and the oil and filter change.

My guess it was stored in their facality for quite a while (it is an '07) and the mice got in it their. They also responded saying the air cleaner isn't checked because it's not on the list.

·
Registered
103 Posts
My dealer suggested a 600 mile inspection...I bought my 1800 in TX and rode it back to MN in 3 days. so I did a 600 mile inspection at 1,200 miles. Like others have said, Oil is cheaper than a new engine. Personal preference I guess.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Not a chance it was from my garage. It's cleaned out and sweeped every other week and we've been here for two years and never seen a trace of a mice. No other items stored here, just 3 bikes and a car and a beer fridge. :)

Good enough reason to believe it wasn't 'your' mouse!

Dealer emailed back said they would take care of the air cleaner and the oil and filter change.

Good to hear that the Dealer is stepping up to the plate and making it right!

My guess it was stored in their facality for quite a while (it is an '07) and the mice got in it their. They also responded saying the air cleaner isn't checked because it's not on the list.
Makes sense. I can also see where the filter would not be on the 'check this' list,,,

But,,, where is the mouse now???? :icon_susp :cheers:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts