Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently did an airbox decap following the pics in the sticky, and it turned out looking just like it, sounds great, runs great..... at lower speeds. Once I get the up to about 55 or 60, the bike starts hesitating and trying to stall. I have an adjustable needle with the clip on the second from the bottom, and my a/f is almost 3 1/2 turns out (it was only getting to about 45 with 2 1/2 turns). I have stock pipes drilled to the second baffle. The main jet is a 195. Do I need to go larger, or did I cut the airbox wrong? I have a new stock airbox on the way and I am thinking of going back to just stock.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that's where the clip is

·
C'MON THE HOOPS
793 Posts
Could it be that the main jet is not flowing right? I'm running a decapped Spyker airbox and Drilled pipes. With the Scar Mod, I have 3 shims and the AF currently at about 2 3/8. Seems to run well at speeds, and it does not seem too far off what Charlie and Bass are suggesting - hence my question about something being gunked up in there...

Of course if the AF has fallen out, that would cause you some problems...

·
Dragon Slayer
8,515 Posts
I have a similar set up, except HK Classic straights for pipes. Decapped airbox & had to move the clip to 4th position(Dynocrap195), A/F is right at about 2-21/4 turns out and runs ok & that's about the best you'll get with the Dyno kit. If I want a little more ooomph, I'll have to go with factorypro stg3. If you're at 3-1/2 turns, you're running WAY too rich.

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
I'd junk the Dynojet and install the Factory pro stage 3 and put the slow 58 in there with the 200 main that comes with the kit and use the FP needle on the 4th notch from the blunt end and set at a/f 1 3/4 and you problems with the Dynojet will go away and you will be riding away into the sunset happy!!!.
And leave the decap on.

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
I'd junk the Dynojet and install the Factory pro stage 3 and put the slow 58 in there with the 200 main that comes with the kit and use the FP needle on the 4th notch from the blunt end and set at a/f 1 3/4 and you problems with the Dynojet will go away and you will be riding away into the sunset happy!!!.
And leave the decap on.
I think the small main in the kit is a 210 and it would work fine

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I recently pulled the carb apart and cleaned it all out. Did it all again after the decap because of the hesitating, checked all the vaccum hoses, took apart and cleaned the fuel petcock, and it backfires really bad on the decel now after resetting the a/f to 2 1/2, and still hesitates and stalls at speed. My new airbox is on the way, and if it still does it, then I know its not the decap. If Spyker is still looking for clean covers, tell him I have one I'll send him for the price of shipping.

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
If you close the a/f up to around 2 turns or even less depending on the slow jet it should help reduce the decel pop.

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
I think the small main in the kit is a 210 and it would work fine
Got the FP 210 in mine and it's perfect...

Back to the OP....You said you have a 195 main...Is that a stock 195, or DJ 195??...DJ 195 is smaller than stock 195 and that's a problem if you're adding air with a decap airbox...Making a lean condition even worse....:hmm2:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
how do I know if it's stock or not? there is only a "195" stamped on the side.

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
But, if someone put a dj needle in there with the notchs, they may have put a 195 dj main in
If you did that then you would be going in the wrong direction because a dj 195 is actually smaller than the stock 195. wouldn't you want an increase in power and mileage. When I jetted mine I increased in power and gas mileage at the same time with the FP kit.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
If you did that then you would be going in the wrong direction because a dj 195 is actually smaller than the stock 195. wouldn't you want an increase in power and mileage. When I jetted mine I increased in power and gas mileage at the same time with the FP kit.
correct

·
Registered
715 Posts
how do I know if it's stock or not? there is only a "195" stamped on the side.
If it is stock it will have a star next to it... It really is a "K" but looks liker a star...

I'm with the others though go with a FP stage 3 kit... 210 with a 58 should get you all set. that is what I'm running with a de-capped box and it rocks!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts