And hope it isn't you"

·
Fastest Red Club Member
7,215 Posts

·
FREEBIRD
7,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,835
I love the classics. These days, rock bands are hard to come by as music has become digitalised and songs 'go viral' online as opposed to bands playing live and having to hone their skills in realtime.
I discovered Rival Sons recently. They've been around for a few years, but I have never heard them on our radio stations. Unbelieveable really, since they are just incredible. Here's a live acoustic version of one of their quiter 'soulful' tunes.

·
FREEBIRD
7,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,838 (Edited)
So in a couple weeks, we will be celebrating my Grandson's 1st birthday. 🎂 Here he is at a few months old. 'Cheeks McGee' aka 'Monkey Man'. Total badass....literally. His butt is terrible. Bad ass.

Jackson is the first child in the family from his generation. A new shift in the family. The kids have become parents, Aunts and Uncles, and Jen and I have become Grandparents. We're still 'young', at 49 yrs old this year, so it feels weird to be called Granddad. I gotta say, I do love it though.
I racked my feeble, oldish mind for what to get him for his birthday. Clothing isn't something I care to shop for, and toys just seem to be so fleeting. He loves something for a few days then it's off to another one. Hmm.....

I began to consider the fact that I never knew my Granddad very well, as he died when I was young. I have very early memories that I cherish, but I wish he could have lived longer so I could've talked to him as a young man. I can only imagine conversations we might have had. He was a WW2 Vet, and never spoke about it to his family, including my father. He loved listening to Scottish bagpipes. I remember him coming home from work, throwing his suit jacket over a chair, pouring a rum and coke, then sitting down to polish his shoes with a cigarette dangling from his mouth and his cassette recording of Scottish bagpipes playing in the background. It took me years to find out why they were such a big part of his life, and now they are a part of my life(and soul) as well.

That got me to thinking....uh oh, I smell burning brain cells....If I die before Jackson gets to know me, how can I pass on something that will help him understand who I was? It came to me instantly. Vinyl records are making a huge comeback. I feel that I need to pass on my love of music, my love of blues and rock to this child. I want to start him off right. While other 1 yr olds are listening to Itsy Bitsy Spider, Jackson could be listening to The Who's Boris the Spider! YES!

While on vacation down south last week, I ran it by his Dad, my son-in-law, Steve. He loved the idea, since him and I share very similar tastes in music and he's a very sentimental kind of guy as well. Steve vowed to care for the albums throughout Jackson's youth and teach him how 'special' they are, show him how to use the needle/arm, and handle them with care. He was offered an analog turntable by my older brother-in-law, which he graciously accepted....and the wheels were officially in motion.

Now to figure out what albums to buy. Oh man...how do you even start? It's been fun trying to figure out what my 'core' albums are, let alone the next 40. I'm thinking I'll buy him a couple every birthday or significant event and he should have quite the collection by the time he's 15 or so. Perfect! The first one wasn't even in question. I have called Jackson 'Monkey Man' since day 1. Rolling Stones 'Let it Bleed' it is. This year I will get him three albums, just because I went way overboard at the record shop. Lol I actually bought 5 albums. When Jen saw what I did, she just laughed at me. I have been giving her shit for buying so many baby items, high chairs, playpens, clothes, etc. I just laid the albums on the table and held my head down in 'shame'. Haha

I'm going to give him the Rolling Stones, Bob Marley, and Led Zeppelin 1 this year. Then Led Zep 2 and a 'newer' rock album for his second birthday, then Led Zep 3 for his third plus another one that I love. No more buying in advance.......I promise! Hahaha

I really hope this ends up becoming a thing between him and I. Something we can share. I also plan on introducing him to my bikes this summer. Way down the road, like when he's 15, I'm hoping to maybe get him to help me build a sweet bobber from a Honda 600 or something similar and gift it to him once we're done. He'd be the most badass kid in highschool. Of course, I have my work cut out for me convincing his Mom and Nana that it's a good idea. :LOL:

1821 - 1840 of 1844 Posts