Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im a type 2.

Simply .. I need boots. I typically where Harness boots but want to get something else that provides a little more protection.

Im curious which boots other diabetics choose to wear.

On a separate note, Im also wondering why we dont see any rides at all for diabetes. Im thinking more along the lines of juvenile diabetes ....

·
Registered
168 Posts
Im a type 2.

Simply .. I need boots. I typically where Harness boots but want to get something else that provides a little more protection.

Im curious which boots other diabetics choose to wear.

On a separate note, Im also wondering why we dont see any rides at all for diabetes. Im thinking more along the lines of juvenile diabetes ....
I have both RA and diabetes. I also wear harness boots but for the past year, my left foot kills me after walking in them. I've worn Justin lace ups on the farm for years, but I've had to give them up.
I stopped by a biker store in Southern KY not long and they carried Harley boots. One style in particular looked like they would work great as they laced up yet had the look of a boot you see police officers wear quite often. I'd have bought a pair on the spot, but they didn't have my size. I did try on a pair that were too big but they felt good on my feet.
You might want to search for a pair of them.
And the best part, they didn't have Harley plastered all over them.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I am also a type 2, I wear Harley harness style boots, I like them the best. We also have a run in Colorado every year called BAD = Bikers Against Diabetes. There is also a local run sponsered by one of our Harley dealerships in memorial for one of their employees who died in a diabetic coma several years ago.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm diabetic, Type 1, since 1984. The biggest issue with boots is the hard sole, and the impact points it has on the foot. Inserts are an absolute must for some of these boots, Dr Schol's or the like, to lessen the chance of ulcers forming.

More importantly is keeping a good eye on your blood sugar, blood pressure and cholesterol levels. Have someone that loves you give your feet a good massage; helps with blood flow. Pay attention to peripheral neuropathy (that burning sensation in your feet) and check your feet after every ride.

Good luck in your search!

·
Registered
185 Posts
I too wear the Magnum in Viper low. They were originally bought as a work shoe, but are very confortable on the bike.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I work, ride, and play in redwing boots. They are hands down the best thing I have ever done for my feet. I do use their moldable inserts also because I am nearly flatfooted, and they have a strong supportive arch.

·
Registered
438 Posts
diabetes and boots

Type ll here. I wear Bates floaters. They are lightweight, lace up, and very comfortable. Supposedly they are the ones worn by the COP Swat teams and some Navy dudes.

Who knows, I bought mine at Meyers.

Keep your numbers good and keep riding. My Doctor asked how I keep my numbers low. I told him there are two things I love, my wife and my cycle. Good numbers will keep me in touch with both things.
Plus, I don't need a beer everytime I put my kickstand down.

Badjuan

·
Registered
877 Posts
Not diabetic, but I wear Bates Delta 8" boots, ride to work, and on my feet a fair amount. The soles are quite thick, so they should help keep pressure points down.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I find it interesting that no one mentioned the more rigid boots ... maybe Sidis, Alpinestar or even Tour Master or Vegas.

·
'Chappy'
691 Posts
I am type 2 and usually wear EMT/Police style boots. something like a Bates boot. something that has more of a tennis shoe type botom with a 8" boot top. stays comfy all day, and keeps the ankles protected and supported.

·
Liberal Peace-Lover
1,064 Posts
I'm close to being Type 2 (not quite diagnosed yet, but I can feel some of the symptoms) and I'm rocking AlpineStars Roam Touring Boots. Wrench the velcro down tight and it helps with circulation. I'm quite sure if you coupled them with compression socks that you'd be set, though the lace-up style of other boots may give a more even, tighter closure than the velcro does. The Roam boots come up to about 2" below my knee.

My main issue is having my right hand go numb while riding, from poor circulation. Thank goodness for throttle locks. ;)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Type 2 also. Although the style I have is discontinued now I am wearing Birkenstock boots. They lace up and give me arch support and plenty of room in the toe box. When they wear out I will go to some kind that has the tennis shoe type sole and soft leather uppers. :patriot:

·
Banned
1,206 Posts
I'm both type 1 & 2.
Dont' produce insulin AND I'm severely insulin resistant.
8 shots a day.
2 Lantus/6 Humilog +Metformin + Actos.
Riding us one of the few things that brings my glucose level down.

Pain raises it due to stress on the body.
I played waaaay too hard when I was younger and I'm paying for it now.

I wear HD BrakeLights boots.
They don't make my sever neuropathy any worse.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts