Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Tom
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, at age 59, never rode before this past april, I passed my motor cycle exam tonight.

Anyone else get their license at a 'later age'?

Just curious

2007 VTX1300R

·
Premium Member
2007 VTX 1300C
1,149 Posts
Nice job! Been riding since I was 13, but I'm sure you'll find others here that started later in life.

·
High-Tech Redneck
1,039 Posts
Congrats.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Got mine at age 60. Congrats...ride safe.

·
shock factor unrated
12,435 Posts
never to late or old to ride unless of course you can't hold the bike up, but that's what they make trikes for ;)

·
Chap Dawg
236 Posts
CONGRATS!
:choppersm

You don't stop riding because you get old - you get old because you stop riding.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got it late in life. My son, turned 21, bought a Yamaha F6 and needed someone to ride with. I said, what the heck. I passed the permit test, and am taking the Motorcycle Safety class this weekend (which will give me my license too) and then once my power boat sells, i will buy an 1800T and go riding with him.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Congratulations, take it slow and easy and don't mix it up with too much traffic if possible. Ride like your invisible...expect them to pull out and be ready. Oh yeah, ride with your hi beam on in daylight hours for more visibility....these are all just my opinions, of course!

·
Registered
486 Posts
Congrats. You will enjoy. I took the MS course and got my license at like 20. I grew up on dirt bikes and atvs. Just cant seem to get away from this stuff.

You will definately enjoy.:choppersm

·
Tom
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys.
I did take the MSF course and that is where I got my license. Great class and the coaches were the best.
My son has been riding since he was 5 years old, started with a 50cc Yamaha and he just turned 21 and has been riding a Honda CBR1000RR, got it for him for his 18th birthday.
He wanted someone else to ride with so my wife got me the VTX1300R for my 59th birthday.
The supervisor of the course where I took my exam asked my son to seriously consider becoming a ridercoach (that will make his head swell).
Talk about nervous, he and my wife were there last night to watch me take the exam, nothing like a little added pressure.

Love the bike, love to ride so far.
Thanks again.
Tom

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Congrats. It is very addicting and fun. I rode in my 20's and 30's and got back on when my only kid (daughter) got married and on her own. I didn't ride for 10 years. One big difference I have noticed when I got back on last year is the danger of cell phones. Always make sure you don't ride in blind spots. If you can't see their faces in mirrors they can't see you. I was a more aggressive rider in my youth but now make sure I leave plenty of space in front of me to react to anything. This morning was a classic example as I was going through a construction area where pieces of metal were all over the road. If I had followed the truck in front of me too close I would not have seen them until it was too late as the truck was high enough to just drive over them. Always be on guard and never assume anything. :) Never be in a hurry to go anywhere.

Have fun and enjoy.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Congrats. I just finally got my endorsment a couple months ago. I also took the MSF course this past weekend. I rode in my 20's and always just kept renewing my temps. I have been around dirt bikes and 4 wheelers most of my life. The only thing wrong with getting your license late in life is that you missed all the other years of riding. Better late that never. Just ride safe because their are alot of idiots out there.

·
Registered
115 Posts
That's great! The first time I did mine I was 16 years old and I passed it on a Honda MT 125. Sold my next bike a Honda xl 250 when I was about 28 years old. Stopped ridding until I was 50 years old and took the test on a 1994 Suzuki 1400 Intruder. Failed the first time I tried but passed it on the second. It's a lot harder course on biker bikes!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Congrats and welcome aboard. Very motivating to see people still doing things they want to do without letting their age be a factor. I started 2 months ago at 47 because I was at the point that if I didn't do it now I never would. Be safe and enjoy.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts