Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. I already know this was completely stupid so I don't need any of the hagling!:rolleyes:

Long story short, while adjusting my idle, I accidentally unscrewed the idle adjustment screw too far. I'm assuming it came all the way out. When it happened, I just screwed it right back in. Now, it has to be screwed all the way in for the bike to idle at all during moderate ambient temps and warmer. It will NOT idle in cooler weather until it has warmed up. Then it will.

Thanks in advance for possible diagnosis and repair help.

Joe

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
I'm not familiar with the 1800 but looking at the fiche it looks like at the end where it goes in there is or might be a spring/O ring and psibly a washer. I just looks that way similiar to the a/f adjustemt on the 1300 and yes I know the 1800 is fuel injected and the 1300 is carb but it looks similiar. So i wiuld look around the engine/and floor carefully for psible spring/O ring and washer. And if the idle adjustment dose thread into a hole/opening then there is a good posibility there would have them to prevent it from falling out or vibrating loose.
just a thought here.

Doug

·
Registered
1 Posts
I did not see a final resolution. I too did the same mistake a few years ago. I was able to get bike to run again but only with adjustment screw all the way in. I touched it again yesterday and now have the same old problem of very slow idle if at all and I am not sure what I did wrong (don't know the whole story) when I accidentally unscrewed it all the way. Is is possible another small part fell out when I did this and I just am not aware?

What was your final resolution? Did you figure out the mystery?

I looked over the thread but don't see a clear answer that makes sense to me.

·
Pursuing Perfection
5,859 Posts
Wow - that's a pile of Funny Fubar - no one bothers removing aircleaner - to get a close look of what was done - and what's missing? Or cross threaded..

I've got 37 cents in left pocket - decided right pocket was better - now 2 are missing - where the hell they go?

My moneys on - what fell out - is in the dirt...

This adjustment should never be touched till twenty minutes and after fan comes on.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No resolution yet.

I did not see a final resolution. I too did the same mistake a few years ago. I was able to get bike to run again but only with adjustment screw all the way in. I touched it again yesterday and now have the same old problem of very slow idle if at all and I am not sure what I did wrong (don't know the whole story) when I accidentally unscrewed it all the way. Is is possible another small part fell out when I did this and I just am not aware?

What was your final resolution? Did you figure out the mystery?

I looked over the thread but don't see a clear answer that makes sense to me.
I haven't yet found a solution. I'm about ready to tear into it. I'm starting a Cummins 4BT diesel swap on my '89 Ford Bronco so it will have to be as time permits.

I've looked at the above suggested parts diagram and service manual which are helpful in knowing what should be there. According to everything I saw there, I'm not missing any parts/pieces.

I checked the above mentioned thread reference High Idle Adjustment which was helpful but doesn't solve the problem.

I tried to decifer useful information out of the one butthole (Rated G version) who thought he could make a smart-a comment and make himself look superior when everyone knows he's made stupid mistakes like all the rest of us, but there was absolutely nothing useful there.

So, I'm still open to suggestions if anyone has anything they think may halp. Otherwise I'm just gonna pull the throttle body off and figure it out.

Sorry for the delayed response.

Joe

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok. Problem resolved!

In the throttle body, the idle air screw needle should "thread" into a gap in a diaphram which is also the location of the "high idle" adjustment.

When I unscrewed too far, the diaphram was able to rotate. Then, there was no air flow limitation therefore the air/fuel mixture at idle was too lean to run the bike.

Located the problem, lined them back up, cranked, started, idled with no problems.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help with the limited info I could give.

Hope this helps someone else also!

Joe

·
Registered
791 Posts
Thanks for giving us the final outcome...
I will file THAT one away in case I ever need it personally or can relay it to another that will benefit from it.
Am glad you figgered it out man. Kudo's !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts