Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2009 VTX 1300R, Long Island NY
587 Posts
Maybe I'll look into the dyno too
I would wait until if/when you decide to either decap the airbox or go aftermarket. Until then, the Scar mod you did is probably good enough... It does add up, I think I paid $350 and I had to bring all the jets. I brought a Factory Pro Jet kit with an extra 60 pilot jet and a few extra main jets. I ended up with Main jet 210, needle 5.5, pilot jet 60 and A/F 1.5 turns out.

·
Super Moderator
10,081 Posts
I recommend NOT dynotuning your bike. You have a carb and while I am sure it is possible, I have never heard of anyone dynotuning a carbed bike nowadays. The vast majority of dynotuning is done on fuel injected bikes that either have an aftermarket fuel manager or a way to modify the stock programming. It would be very hard to dynotune a carbed bike. They would run it on the tuner, and then take a minimum of 15 minutes to take apart the bike to access and take apart the carb to make a change and then take a minimum of 15 minutes to put the bike back together to re-dyno it. This would take days of dyno time. We have instructions on the VTX Cafe on how to tune the carb using a Factory Pro jet kit and I have yet to meet a person who has done this who is not VERY satisfied with the result.

Can someone else help Ben28 out with the pipe temperature after getting the bike totally up to full temperature with a stock carb?

Lastly, you do not have to give up the good looking acorn nuts. Just put some washers between them and the flange. Make sure to use stainless washers or they will rust badly. Admittedly, the acorn nuts are not very visible but we go to great pains to make our bikes look awesome. It would bother me to put ugly normal nuts on there when it comes stock with chromed acorn nuts.

·
Registered
2009 VTX 1300R, Long Island NY
587 Posts
I recommend NOT dynotuning your bike. You have a carb and while I am sure it is possible, I have never heard of anyone dynotuning a carbed bike nowadays. The vast majority of dynotuning is done on fuel injected bikes that either have an aftermarket fuel manager or a way to modify the stock programming. It would be very hard to dynotune a carbed bike. They would run it on the tuner, and then take a minimum of 15 minutes to take apart the bike to access and take apart the carb to make a change and then take a minimum of 15 minutes to put the bike back together to re-dyno it. This would take days of dyno time. We have instructions on the VTX Cafe on how to tune the carb using a Factory Pro jet kit and I have yet to meet a person who has done this who is not VERY satisfied with the result.
Just an FYI. Dyno tunning has been going on for years way before FI (cars and bikes). You just have to go to a guy who has been around prior (or has experience with carb'ed bikes). My tuner does carb'ed bikes, including carb'ed turbos, so he is used to it. Also, with an external fuel source (hanging external fuel tank), it only takes a few minutes to change the jets. You also have to bring all the jets they would possibly need since jets are carb manufacture specific (which I did, the Factory Pro kit may not be enough, I needed the optional 60).

I paid $350 for mine, and my bike is as good as it will get, and provided some very interesting insight into the Factory Pro Jet kit that even Factory Pro did not know. My tuner was in contact with Factory Pro throughout out the process. When you see that I spent $350, remember that this is Long Island NY prices, so shop hours are on the higher side.

I would only suggest getting a dyno after significant changes (for example I did my air cleaner, pair valve removal and exhaust at the same time). And honestly, the number of hours I would have spent messing with self tuning it was worth it to me. Also, following the carb tuning guide would never have resulted in my current tune or HP gains, which my tuner has proven to be the best power available, while keeping the exhaust A/F ratio in a good place (I think he tuned mine to the low 13's).

I look at it like, I've dropped $350 on a lot of cosmetic things, why not spend it on where it really counts, the engine...

I also did it, so I could contribute to this community by sharing my results and setup. Everyone who has tried my current setup as reported more power (at the expense of some mpg) and improved running at all rpm ranges.

The main reason you don't hear of a lot of people getting carb'ed bikes dyno tuned is, there aren't a lot of bikes coming out with carbs anymore. If they were still popular, there would be tons of people getting dyno tunes for them.

Reactions: sumdatx

·
Super Moderator
10,081 Posts
I have helped with dozens of carb rejets on the VTX1300 and read about hundreds of them being done. In all of those cases, I have now heard of exactly one person getting the bike dynotuned as part of this rejetting process. The other 99.5% of the people rejetting the carb on the VTX1300 used the instructions here on the Cafe, a Factory Pro jet kit, and were delighted with the result. I stand by my recommendation to not get a VTX1300 dynotuned. If you want to rejet, go with the option that satisfied 99.5% of the people and just follow the carb rejetting process.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts