Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup fellas? As you can see in the pic, I’m missing my right side cover. I actually have one now but I’m curious if they charged more than they should’ve.
I ordered a set of black ones and had the right painted the same color orange as my bike. The shop quoted me 70 and ended up charging me 97.

Does this sound about right to you? $100 for a paint job so small seems a bit high, but I’m not a painter so I can’t say for sure.
I ordered a set of black hardbags that I want painted the same color orange. I told the shop about this and they quoted me $180. So only $80 more for a bigger job? Doesn’t sound right to me...I did say I only wanted the sides painted but still, what do you guys think???

6651E958-9ECE-4304-B64B-915C1980A83B.jpeg

·
Registered
16,927 Posts
Doesn't sound unreasonable to me. The same kind, and amount of prep work would be involved for both, regardless of size to be painted. The side covers themselves, the initial cost could be right too, adjusted for inflation. I hadn't priced them in 6 or 8 years. Probably just finding new ones is luck since these bikes are now 13-18 years old. Nice bike! I bought my used LeatherLyke bags a few years ao off a fella who had an orange 1800, all decked out with orange LED's. One evening near sundown a neighbor called the Fire Co. because he had his LED's on and she thought it was on fire!

·
Fastest Red Club Member
2007 VTX 1300R, Indianapolis
7,693 Posts
I would be concerned about paying so little for a paint job. I would expect much higher as paint isn't cheap to get it matching right. Add in labor for prep work and you have a much higher cost.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Doesn't sound unreasonable to me. The same kind, and amount of prep work would be involved for both, regardless of size to be painted. The side covers themselves, the initial cost could be right too, adjusted for inflation. I hadn't priced them in 6 or 8 years. Probably just finding new ones is luck since these bikes are now 13-18 years old. Nice bike! I bought my used LeatherLyke bags a few years ao off a fella who had an orange 1800, all decked out with orange LED's. One evening near sundown a neighbor called the Fire Co. because he had his LED's on and she thought it was on fire!
lol that’s hilarious. Yeah I was thinking of getting some led strips for the bags as I’m assuming I’m gonna have to remove my turn signals or use the ones in the bag

but yeah the oem side cover in orange is close to $400 (just for one). I ordered a set of black ones off eBay for $83, n got the one painted for $100, so I came out on top

good looking out man

·
Registered
16,927 Posts
No pix, didn't happen! -Rule #1 on the forum.

Reactions: henkvdb

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well the bags came in today, but the keys don’t fit, so now I have to replace the bags just for a new set of keys lol

hopefully they can just send out the right keys that fit...

either way, pics or it didn’t happen right???

pic of the bags in the box and pics of what I want mine to look like once their done. I want mine painted like this black n red one but of course mine will be black n orange...

DF0F85B0-5647-48C5-8E5B-25FC3D7C1F96.jpeg
F6B98491-5E19-4460-9CA5-29E93230C444.png

·
Mosin Prime
2019 Indian Roadmaster P3 Tail Light w/Photon Blasters Alert Diode DynamicsLEDs Adaptive2 Headlight
805 Posts
Can't believe they'd send you a set of keys that don't fit! But your pait scheme idea is gonna look great! That side cover looks good from the pic, too!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Can't believe they'd send you a set of keys that don't fit! But your pait scheme idea is gonna look great! That side cover looks good from the pic, too!
Hey thanx man. And don’t believe it. Because they didn’t. They sent the right keys after all, I just had to fiddle like hell to get em in

I got the one in with a little prying, but I have to use a box cutter on the other to open it a little in order to get the key in

kinda sucks, but I’ll just leave the box cutter in the one that opens easy

maybe later down the line I can try n fiddle with it enough for the key to just slide in on its own. Until then I just wanna get the bags painted and installed

·
Super Moderator
10,298 Posts
Try squirting some graphite lock lubricant into the locks. Maybe that will help.

·
Registered
16,927 Posts
Ever watch a key being made? The cutters make perfect copies of the key, but the clean precise cuts of the new key need to be de-burred or de-braded with a wire wheel to make them easier to insert. You could try that.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts