Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,298 Posts
I am quite well. Not sure when we last spoke. I moved to working half-time in May, 2017 and that is working well. I continue to do this half-time work from home so my commute is pretty easy. I change from my sleep t-shirt to my work t-shirt and all is good :) We moved out of Michigan in Fall, 2017 so now we spend our winters in central Florida (lousy riding but the weather is good) and our summers in the mountains of western NC where the weather is good and the riding is fabulous. How are you doing?

·
Mosin Prime
2019 Indian Roadmaster P3 Tail Light w/Photon Blasters Alert Diode DynamicsLEDs Adaptive2 Headlight
806 Posts
Ever watch a key being made? The cutters make perfect copies of the key, but the clean precise cuts of the new key need to be de-burred or de-braded with a wire wheel to make them easier to insert. You could try that.
Well that's what I was thinking. I watched the local locksmith make mine right in front of me. He managed to match the key shapes initially and then locked them in the little cutting machine. Did it all by hand. He deburred the edges a bit. He told me to try them before he made me pay cuz he wasn't so sure they would work. Worked perfectly. Never needed them, but was always handy to have another pair just in case! Since he said they didn't work, I figured all options were already exhausted. But definitely try a wire wheel or wire brush or something to see if it will help!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I am quite well. Not sure when we last spoke. I moved to working half-time in May, 2017 and that is working well. I continue to do this half-time work from home so my commute is pretty easy. I change from my sleep t-shirt to my work t-shirt and all is good :) We moved out of Michigan in Fall, 2017 so now we spend our winters in central Florida (lousy riding but the weather is good) and our summers in the mountains of western NC where the weather is good and the riding is fabulous. How are you doing?
I can’t complain my man. Same old same. Funny you mention lousy Florida ridin (which it is). I actually miss ridin in Florida. I lived in Florida all my life and started ridin about 4 months before I moved here to Kansas. Kansas isn’t the best for ridin neither, but 2 wheels is 2 wheels. If I wanted to I could travel to Arkansas to ride the pig tail, but I haven’t been ridin much at all lately to tell you the truth.
Life hasn’t changed for you one bit tho I see, even with the move. I was jealous of you then, and I’m jealous of you now lol livin the good life

ridin the mountains of NC? Sign me up!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Appreciate the feedback fellas. Will exhaust all options in order to get keys working properly!

·
Mosin Prime
2019 Indian Roadmaster P3 Tail Light w/Photon Blasters Alert Diode DynamicsLEDs Adaptive2 Headlight
806 Posts
Where you move to out in KS? I was in Leavenworth for almost 3.5 years (just the town, not the prison) and I found the riding to be not bad. I mean for my commute it was the shortest one I ever had. But riding out to Legends or KC was easy. Not bad on the highway and freeway to get out there. And traffic wasn't so bad, as compared out near Philly here now. I hate this city, but I am stuck here for now. I guess it's because I'm not from around here. From the PNW originally.

·
Super Moderator
10,298 Posts
Aspire, If you want to head out to NC sometime next summer, I would be happy to take you on some great rides.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Where you move to out in KS? I was in Leavenworth for almost 3.5 years (just the town, not the prison) and I found the riding to be not bad. I mean for my commute it was the shortest one I ever had. But riding out to Legends or KC was easy. Not bad on the highway and freeway to get out there. And traffic wasn't so bad, as compared out near Philly here now. I hate this city, but I am stuck here for now. I guess it's because I'm not from around here. From the PNW originally.
a little town called independence. About 3hrs sw of kc. Surrounded by even smaller towns lol but to be honest I kinda like it. Very laid back compared to the busyness of Orlando

PNW? What’s that?

Edit: ah, nvm, pacific northwest Of course...

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Aspire, If you want to head out to NC sometime next summer, I would be happy to take you on some great rides.
that sounds dope man. I might hold you to that. With everything goin on in the world a nice trek to the mountains of NC sound great. I watch a lot of motovlogs, and seein some of the places a lot of these guys ride is incredible

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Would you guys happen to know how to get this bolt to tighten? I know it’s biting because I can’t pull it out by hand, but when I try to tighten it with a wrench it just keeps spinning...

·
Super Moderator
10,298 Posts
What bolt are you talking about?

·
Super Moderator
10,298 Posts
I cannot tell if that bolt is one of the fender rail bolts or something else. If the former, then it goes through the fender and is supposed to connect to a nut that is welded into the fender support system. You may have to look at or access the fender support. This might involve removing the rear tire or, perhaps, some mirrors and flashlights will work. If this bolt is not one of the normal fender rail bolts, then it may just connect to a nut that is under the fender rail between that rail and the fender. Maybe this nut is just turning in place in there. Maybe this nut was locked in place with a weld or with glue at some time and not it is loose. To access this nut, I suspect you will need to remove the fender rail.

·
Registered
2007 1300C
531 Posts
Loosen the front fender nut and wiggle fender to get the bolt, assuming of course that the bolt is the right pitch and length

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I cannot tell if that bolt is one of the fender rail bolts or something else. If the former, then it goes through the fender and is supposed to connect to a nut that is welded into the fender support system. You may have to look at or access the fender support. This might involve removing the rear tire or, perhaps, some mirrors and flashlights will work. If this bolt is not one of the normal fender rail bolts, then it may just connect to a nut that is under the fender rail between that rail and the fender. Maybe this nut is just turning in place in there. Maybe this nut was locked in place with a weld or with glue at some time and not it is loose. To access this nut, I suspect you will need to remove the fender rail.
Hmm, I wanna say I just need a longer bolt because when I remove the spacer n bracket it screws in no problem, but at the same time, like I said before, even with the spacer n bracket, it’s biting because it goes in enough not to pull it out by hand. It just doesn’t wanna tighten all the way down for some reason.

it’s odd I don’t get it

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Loosen the front fender nut and wiggle fender to get the bolt, assuming of course that the bolt is the right pitch and length
yeah I tried that. I’ve loosened both outer bolts to try n wiggle the fender around enough to get that middle one in and nothing. It just keeps spinning, even though it’s biting, kinda odd...

·
Super Moderator
10,298 Posts
Sounds like either the nut that this bolt goes into is either stripped to the point where it is wrench loose but finger tight or the nut is spinning once you try to cinch the bolt down. Can you use a mirror and flashlight to see the receiving nut and its surroundings?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Sounds like either the nut that this bolt goes into is either stripped to the point where it is wrench loose but finger tight or the nut is spinning once you try to cinch the bolt down. Can you use a mirror and flashlight to see the receiving nut and its surroundings?
I got it. Just needed a longer bolt. Sheesh, that’s twice I jumped the gun n put my foot in my mouth

next time I ask for advice it’s gonna be because my bike is on fire lol
And I still might take u up on that offer Jim

How’s the wife by the way? She livin the luxurious dream like yourself workin from home?

·
Super Moderator
10,298 Posts
Nah, she retired many years ago. I married well :) She was pretty high up in the HR executive ranks at the multinational chemical company at which we both worked. She out-earned me in her final years there. She is quite happy not working. I still cannot give up my job. It was an effort to go half-time. Too much of my life and identity is built around my occupation and career. It will have to end someday but not yet. Plus I have a great job. High pay, low oversight, and very low stress (no people or profit/loss responsibility). Not an easy gig to give up.

Reactions: MosinZealot

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Nah, she retired many years ago. I married well :) She was pretty high up in the HR executive ranks at the multinational chemical company at which we both worked. She out-earned me in her final years there. She is quite happy not working. I still cannot give up my job. It was an effort to go half-time. Too much of my life and identity is built around my occupation and career. It will have to end someday but not yet. Plus I have a great job. High pay, low oversight, and very low stress (no people or profit/loss responsibility). Not an easy gig to give up.
Yeah when I hear testimonies like that it reminds me of some of the wrong turns I made in life lol but I can’t complain. God has been good to me as well, even though I made a conscious decision to disobey, He’s still kept His hand of protection over my life.
I have a YouTube channel by the way of you ever get bored. It’s mainly me flying my drone, but I’ve been wanting to make more videos like this where I incorporate the bike...

·
Super Moderator
10,298 Posts
With the trick flying you are doing, maybe you should be flying radio controlled planes - either electric or gas powered. Looks cool. I have a friend with a Mavic Pro drone. He does not use it for a lot and I do not think it is as maneuverable as yours. He lives on a farm about 1/2 mile from I-75 in central Florida. He flies it out to near the interstate whenever he sees a big accident out there. The stretch of I-75 next to him has a lot of accidents because it is where southbound I-75 turns from 3 lanes to only 2 (just north of Wildwood, FL).

21 - 40 of 61 Posts