Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Nah, she retired many years ago. I married well :) She was pretty high up in the HR executive ranks at the multinational chemical company at which we both worked. She out-earned me in her final years there. She is quite happy not working. I still cannot give up my job. It was an effort to go half-time. Too much of my life and identity is built around my occupation and career. It will have to end someday but not yet. Plus I have a great job. High pay, low oversight, and very low stress (no people or profit/loss responsibility). Not an easy gig to give up.
Yeah when I hear testimonies like that it reminds me of some of the wrong turns I made in life lol but I can’t complain. God has been good to me as well, even though I made a conscious decision to disobey, He’s still kept His hand of protection over my life.
With the trick flying you are doing, maybe you should be flying radio controlled planes - either electric or gas powered. Looks cool. I have a friend with a Mavic Pro drone. He does not use it for a lot and I do not think it is as maneuverable as yours. He lives on a farm about 1/2 mile from I-75 in central Florida. He flies it out to near the interstate whenever he sees a big accident out there. The stretch of I-75 next to him has a lot of accidents because it is where southbound I-75 turns from 3 lanes to only 2 (just north of Wildwood, FL).
Oh yeah, right on. Yeah the mavic is more for cinematic shots and more user friendly. DJI makes some nice products. They’ve actually snuck their way into the fpv world with their HD units. A lot of people are raving over it.
Funny enough a lot of motovloggers are getting into the Mavics nowadays too as another layer to their videos.

·
Mosin Prime
2019 Indian Roadmaster P3 Tail Light w/Photon Blasters Alert Diode DynamicsLEDs Adaptive2 Headlight
805 Posts
Cant watch that drone too long going all crazy my inner ear tells my brain and eyes they don't like that haha. But the nice straight course on the bike was great! Sure I've heard of Independence maybe went by it a few times. I went down to Joplin once and Tulsa a few times for the gun show down there once upon a time. Back when I had my VTX. My trip to Joplin was the first time I needed to use my tire repair kit. Rear tire went flat I hit something on the freeway somewhere and on my way back I didn't get far. It sure felt weird and wouldn't handle very good. Managed to get the plug in and rode on that plug for many more thousands of miles! It does sound nice, compared to all the traffic out here near Philly.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Cant watch that drone too long going all crazy my inner ear tells my brain and eyes they don't like that haha. But the nice straight course on the bike was great! Sure I've heard of Independence maybe went by it a few times. I went down to Joplin once and Tulsa a few times for the gun show down there once upon a time. Back when I had my VTX. My trip to Joplin was the first time I needed to use my tire repair kit. Rear tire went flat I hit something on the freeway somewhere and on my way back I didn't get far. It sure felt weird and wouldn't handle very good. Managed to get the plug in and rode on that plug for many more thousands of miles! It does sound nice, compared to all the traffic out here near Philly.
haha yeah it can get quite woozy. Sometimes I find myself leanin as if I’d been drinkin lol

I’ve been to Joplin quite a few times. My son’s dentist is out that way. Kinda reminds me of Orlando with it being a bigger city and all. Never been on the bike tho, but I did ride out to Branson. That was a nice trek. Went n saw the ozark mountains or whatever it was called.
Crazy you can ride on a plug for that many miles tho

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Hey, any of you know the best way to measure these to get the holes drilled in the bag? I have the brackets mounted, so do I just have someone hold the bags in the desired position and use white out to mark where the holes line up and just go from there?
3522FBCE-3659-4535-80E3-C164A4C57594.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
10,298 Posts
The approach your describe sounds reasonable to me. Remember that the swing arm and tire will move up and down and make sure that nothing in the bag or bracket is in the way of this movement including the rear axle and caliper.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
The approach your describe sounds reasonable to me. Remember that the swing arm and tire will move up and down and make sure that nothing in the bag or bracket is in the way of this movement including the rear axle and caliper.
Ok cool, duly noted. I didn’t even think of that. Thanx man

·
Reeling Jackwagon
2003 1300S
9,192 Posts
I would cut the bottom hole off of at least the front bracket. It looks from the side view that it is going to hit, but maybe not from the rear view.

If those bags are fiberglass, lay down some painters tape to keep the fiberglass from splintering. ABS will grab a drill and pull it through as well.

Reactions: Aspire7

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
So I got the left one mounted, now just gotta figure out how to align the brackets on the right so I can measure n mark my drill spots...

48C7119A-3673-4FA8-8397-979C93F2D9C6.jpeg
DCF907AC-75A0-4C98-B195-6692FCB5E97F.jpeg

·
Registered
2007 1300C
531 Posts
you might consider adding a brace, running from one strut to the other, to cut front to back stress. just a piece of what ever you you made those mounts out of, just my opinion

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
you might consider adding a brace, running from one strut to the other, to cut front to back stress. just a piece of what ever you you made those mounts out of, just my opinion
The brackets came with the bags. That’s not a bad idea tho. How would I go about doin that? I’m not much of a worksmith, so I wouldn’t know where to start...

·
Mosin Prime
2019 Indian Roadmaster P3 Tail Light w/Photon Blasters Alert Diode DynamicsLEDs Adaptive2 Headlight
805 Posts
Go to a HD or Lowes or any hardware store probably and find some flat bar. 3/4 inch or something like that. Steel or aluminum I'd say would work either way just for a short piece to cut and drill a couple of holes in to. While you're there you'll probably need to get some short bolts and nuts and washers to tighten it all down with. Probably quarter inch diameter stuff is the easiest in stainless. I like the nylon nuts, with some normal quarter inch washers when you put the bolt in and where the nut goes on, and then some split washers where the nut goes on. Just help hold everything in place over the miles you'll put on it. Some flat bar like this. If you put in your location and store near you it might even tell you which aisle and bay it's in.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Got both bags installed, and it turned out a lot better than I thought. Easy install. Harley quoted me $280 for the install and another shop quoted me $180. Ended up doin it myself for the price of a few bolts n spacers ($10 maybe). Saved the install money to go towards the paint.
The bags really do add to the bike. I don’t like the big space between the bags n bike from the rear but it is what it is...

gonna drop the bags off today to have em painted...

I’ll be lookin into all y’all’s suggestions tho regarding the extra support. Thanx for all the tips!

oh yeah, eventually I wanna get a set of white walls to really set it off. The more I look at it, the more it kinda resembles a road king. Hopefully one day I can afford to get myself a road glide, but I’d like to keep the vtx as well. We shall see...

00CFEA17-E3AA-4A73-9C72-0B334541D080.jpeg
2B8730C0-6242-4320-88B3-06178D267627.jpeg
660712C6-B5B0-4DD9-A51A-F7CAB93C8627.jpeg
4103034E-8229-4F81-9B04-5DD3CFBF149F.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
10,298 Posts
I am not sure if you could bolt on an additional cross brace without having the screw/bolt head protrude enough to interfere with the bag lying tightly against the vertical braces. Perhaps the bags already do not fit tight against the vertical braces in which case adding the cross brace would not be a problem if you used a bolt type with a low profile head like a domed head with a screwdriver slot in it. If you do choose to add a cross brace, make sure these bolts do not rub the paint on the new bags.

I like white walls on spoked bikes but not any other wheel style. Be aware that they have to be kept clean to really look nice. Cleaning is not that hard but it is time and elbow grease.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I am not if you would bolt on an additional cross brace without having the screw/bolt head protrude enough to interfere with the bag lying tightly against the vertical braces. Perhaps the bags already do not fit tight against the vertical braces in which case adding the cross brace would not be a problem if you used a bolt type with a low profile head like a domed head with a screwdriver slot in it. If you do choose to add a cross brace, make sure these bolts do not rub the paint on the new bags.

I like white walls on spoked bikes but not any other wheel style. Be aware that they have to be kept clean to really look nice. Cleaning is not that hard but it is time and elbow grease.
Ah, yeah you’re right. Didn’t think of that. The bags do sit completely flush against the braces, so the bolt would rub against the bag. Think I’ll just ride it out as is for now and if there’s a problem in the future, I could have someone weld a cross brace to the backside of the brackets.
I never thought about white walls on spoked rims tho. Never really payed the wheels too much attention when lookin at the tire.
I’ll have to look at some white walls on different wheels n see if it bothers me or not

good lookin out

·
Registered
2007 1300C
531 Posts
Is there not not enough room on the tire side of the bracket to put a brace running from the front bolt to the rear bolt?, if so, it might only require a slightly longer bolt to install a brace. From the picture taken from the rear, it looks like plenty of room.

·
Super Moderator
10,298 Posts
Ahh, good idea. Instead of adding a brace held on by separate bolts, just use the bolts already in use to hold on the bags.

Reactions: 07Blackcherry

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Got the bags painted n installed. They look nice. Kinda wish I would’ve gotten the whole bag orange with black highlights but it is what it is. That would’ve been a lot more expensive. This job itself was $210.

either way, thanks for all the tips...it’s really appreciated.

ps, my right blinker isn’t working, and the other day I turned my left one on and it wouldn’t turn off. Well it turns off now, but again, the right one doesn’t even work at all...would this have anything to do with it (pic)? The white wire came out, but I managed to get it back in...

B9B52715-C58E-44D3-9612-634767FEECBD.jpeg
333C5F03-0067-4152-A097-064775067729.jpeg
6EB71276-62E0-48DF-AAD3-B3705F579E3B.jpeg
C805796C-5A5E-421F-8A88-32B2B1A127EC.jpeg

41 - 60 of 61 Posts