Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Wow! I have never heard that story. Sure paints a clearer picture and any time I hear the National Anthem I will remember it! Thanks for sharing desert rat!

·
Dragon Slayer
8,515 Posts
I had never heard the true story behind the inspiration of our National Anthem, just the "history" taught in the schools. Maybe the younger generations would have more respect for those who fought for our freedoms if they knew what was involved & how much sacrifice was given freely by our early Patriots. Sure gives me a newfound respect for the origins of this country's Anthem!!! Thanks for posting.

·
shock factor unrated
12,435 Posts
yep, had to learn that in my history class back in the 11th grade (some 26 years ago). maryland even named a bridge after him (the Key Bridge) on the ocean (guess that's the east side of town) side of town....bumpy little bridge, but atleast they though of him....

·
Favorite Bike - V65 Magna
1,437 Posts
I've got to question some of this. There is some historical info that does not match.

The British had a fleet of 18 ships.

It was raining.

Francis Scott Key was there to negotiate the release of Dr. William Beanes.

The Americans suffer four casualties, including one woman killed in an accident.

The British were firing from maximum range (1.5 - 2 miles) to avoid the fire of the shorter range American cannon. At that range, due mostly to inaccuracy, the British cannon, rockets, and mortars did little damage.

This is a photo of the flag that flew over Ft. McHenry during the battle. Don't think folks were holding up it flag pole. Unless Paul Bunyan was there.

Geezer

·
Registered
941 Posts
Yeah .. I remember that Key was on the deck of a British Naval vessel when he wrote the Anaheim .. but some of the rest I didnt recall and or know.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts