Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

So, I came out of work a few days ago to a shattered mirror. I thought someone bumped it as the bike was still upright when I got to it. I rode home and it was running horribly. Stuttering and stalling every stop. I had battery issues a few weeks prior, so I wondered if that was related. I bought a new battery and mirrors and went home to install them. Looking at the old mirrors, it looks like someone actually knocked the bike over, scratches all over the back of the mirror housing which couldn't have happened unless it was on the ground. (no physical damage anywhere by the mirror).

I started it up, and it idled fine. When I revved the engine, it died immediately, before even giving me a bit more RPM's. I thought about the problem for a couple days and decided to try running it with the Petcock on Res. Boom. Results immediately. It revved and sounded great. Switched back to ON and it dies again. I think theres an issue with the Vacuum line for the Petcock, or possibly a dirty filter from the tank thats not allowing the vacuum to syphon the gas. Am I on the right track here?

I'll be riding it around in Res. in the meantime.

·
Premium Member
10,103 Posts
Add some gasoline to the tank and see if it operates properly with petcock valve in the "on" position. :patriot:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. I filled it yesterday and was still having the issue. I took it on a short ride and switched from Res. to ON while riding. I pulled the throttle and got results immediately, along with a cloud of black smoke shooting out my exhaust. I'm guessing the filter was blocked and riding it a bit hard shook it loose. Rode it for 20 miles this morning with no issues at all, actually ran better than when I first got it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts