Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my gas tank (that goes to a 2004 Honda VTX 1300 C) in to get a dent taken out and after the mechanic pulled out the dent he went to test how much air pressure would hold in the tank and before it reached 30psi i popped like a marshmallow, now he has ordered a replacement tank, but the only tank he could find was for a 2006 Honda VTX 1300 C, but now i am worried that the tank will not fit, he said it looked the same. Does anyone know if a 06 tank will fit on my 04 bike?

·
High-Tech *******
1,039 Posts
I can't say absolutely for sure, but I'm 99% sure it will. I would only be worried if the tank was from an 07 as that year some things got changed.

·
Registered
528 Posts
They are the same except for colors.

·
Registered
202 Posts
OK, I'll bite...Why was he putting that kind of pressure in the tank? It's not a pressure vessel. He is paying for the tank and painting if needed? He should cover everything less what the original job was to cost.

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
OK, I'll bite...Why was he putting that kind of pressure in the tank? It's not a pressure vessel. He is paying for the tank and painting if needed? He should cover everything less what the original job was to cost.
+1...Why the hell did he put air pressure in the tank??...Just to see what it would tolerate??...It's a gas tank, not a tire...Hope this idiot is picking up the tab for the replacement tank...

BTW...All 1300 gas tanks are identical and will interchange...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, he is paying for the new tank. I just have to pay for what it was costing me to pull the dent out and get it painted. He was checking to make sure that the tank would hold the pressure the fuel and fumes would have add. He said he didn't even put 30 pounds of pressure in the tank before it popped. I bought the bike with the dent and just got tired of seeing it and i didn't want to worry about it rusting or anything like that. He has had my tank for two weeks already and with any luck i will have my bike running by the 4th of July. Thank you all for the reassurance that the tank will work.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Im betting he thought he would pop the dent and make his job easier for him to paint.
Thats a lot of pressure he put in it.
Maybe he learned a lesson, but he is going to pay for it.
What a moron.

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
All he had to do is use a little body filler on the dent and nobody except you and him would ever know...Now the dumbass has to buy you a gas tank...Not sure I'd be trusting him with any other stuff on my ride...:hmm2:

·
apacolypse survivor!
4,517 Posts
seriously we presure test aircraft fuel cells at "2" psi your tank is vented its not designed to hold pressure. what a moron!!! yes I repeat moron!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
1badta95, my tank looks the exact same. He pulled the dent out the same way and checked for leaks with the air hose. I am going in on monday and i will get a picture, but it looks just like yours. That is some funny shit. I don't think i will be going back to him because it took him over a week to even pull the dent and when its all said and done it will be almost 3 weeks. I understand he has other costomers but this is getting stupied.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts