Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so after reading all of the great posts here at the Cafe, I have decided that I can do most of my maintenance and mods. (I can turn a wrench and follow directions:) My questions are these:

1. Should I invest in a torque wrench?
2. If yes, should I get the dial ones or the old fashion ones with the needle readout? (Not sure if I described those correctly:hmm2:)
3. Any recommendations? (I have seen them for $30, old fashion, up to $100 @ Sears)
4. Should I invest in an impact driver?

Again, this site makes me realize that I made the right choice in bikes:D

Thanks!

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
either type of torque wrench would be fine but ask before you torque things that are new to you as some of the values are not correct in the manuals and things break.

I go by goodentight myself.

there are a few items where an impact driver comes in handy but not really needed.

In socket sets go with the 6 point and not the 12

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
A dial torque wrench is good.
Impact - not needed. And not recommended.
Don't buy cheep or they wont last.
I use a Sears Torque Wrench.
Metric sockets and wrenches and Metric Allen Wrenches.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Ok, so after reading all of the great posts here at the Cafe, I have decided that I can do most of my maintenance and mods. (I can turn a wrench and follow directions:) My questions are these:

2. If yes, should I get the dial ones or the old fashion ones with the needle readout? (Not sure if I described those correctly:hmm2:)
3. Any recommendations? (I have seen them for $30, old fashion, up to $100 @ Sears)

Thanks!
Old fashion with needle worked/works for me for 30years now.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I haven't used my impact driver since bikes quit comming with phillips head case bolts. Have used a type needle torque wrench since 1966 on more things than I can remember with no issues.

·
His Excellency
617 Posts
I got one the Craftsman bending beam style torque wrenches. They don't need calibration and are the only torque wrenches with a lifetime guarantee. As far as impact wrenches go you probably don't need it for the bike. They are more for car work. I usually have a pretty strict philosophy with those is that impact wrenches are for loosening stuff. I use a air ratchet sometime to run threads on and finish off with your end wrench, socket or torque wrench. Always start by hand though.

·
Relocation Engineer
1,520 Posts
Impact driver, handy to have with a stuck screw or bolt. can be a life saver. I wont use a air impact gun on a bike.

·
Registered
743 Posts
An inch pound and foot pound torque wrench will be very useful. Lot of bolts/nuts that take 10 ft. lbs., or less. Impact driver...one you hit with a hammer can be useful sometimes. Air impact wrench...not really necessary, but, again, can be useful sometimes on large bolts/nuts.

·
243 Posts

Thanks!
YES! You need a torque wrench. And DON'T buy a Craftsman POS. Buy a good quality torque wrench.... a name brand.... and the GOOD ones won't come with a lifetime guarantee, because torque wrenches don't last forever. The purpose of a torque wrench is to stretch the bolt within design limits... using the calibrated elbow technique just doesn't yield professional or accurate results.

An impact driver is really great to have... (you can't have too many tools), but you really just don't need one to work on the VTX..... though it might come in handy taking the wheels off of the motorcycle trailer.... just use the torque wrench to put them back on....

·
apacolypse survivor!
4,517 Posts
I use snap on torque wrenches and have them calibrated yearly, but then again I am a federal licensed helicopter mechanic. my theory on tools is you get what you pay for. I dont trust the needle type wrenches and I never trust a torque wrench that hasnt been calibrated recently. just my 2 cents your milage may vary

1 - 11 of 11 Posts